Cellphones while refueling

Got something you want to say but don't know where else to say it? This is the spot to post it!
djalbin
Smilies Run Amok

Cellphones while refueling

Post by djalbin »

The Shell Oil Company recently issued a warning after three incidents in which mobile phones (cell phones) ignited fumes during fueling operations. In the first case, the phone was placed on the car's trunk lid during fueling; it rang and the ensuing fire destroyed the car and the gasoline pump. In the second, an individual suffered severe burns to their face when fumes ignited as they answered a call while refueling their car. And in the third, an individual suffered severe burns to the thigh and groin as fumes ignited when the phone, which was in their pocket, rang while they were fueling their car.

You should know that mobile phones can ignite fuel or fumes. Mobile phones that light up when switched on or when they ring release enough energy to provide a spark for ignition. Mobile phones should not be used in filling stations, or when fueling lawnmowers, boats, etc. [ How many of us carry cell phones in our tank bags or have then nearby when refueling our bikes?]. Mobile phones should not be used, and should be turned off, when around other materials that generate flammable or explosive fumes or dust (solvents, chemicals, gases, grain dust, etc.).

To sum it up, here are Four Rules for Safe Refueling: 1. Turn off the engine. 2. Don't smoke. 3. Don't use your cell phone (leave it inside the vehicle or turn it off). 4. Don't re-enter your vehicle during fueling.

Bob Renkes of Petroleum Equipment is working on a campaign to make people aware of fires resulting from "static electricity" at gas pumps. His company has researched 150 cases of these fires. His results of this study were very surprising:

1. Out of 150 cases, ALMOST ALL of the victims were women.
2. Almost all cases involved the person getting back in their vehicle while the nozzle was still pumping gas. When finished, they went back to pull the nozzle out and the fire started, as a result of static.
3. Most had on rubber-soled shoes.
4. Most men never get back in their vehicles untill completely finished. This is why they are seldom involved in these types of fires.
5. Don't ever use cell phones when pumping gas.
6. It is the vapors that come out of the gas that cause the fire, when connected with static charges.
7. There were 29 fires where the vehicle was re-entered and the nozzle was touched during refueling from a variety of makes and models. Some resulted in extensive damage to the vehicle, to the station, and to the customer.
8. Seventeen fires occured before, during or immediately after the gas cap was removed and before refueling began.

Mr. Renkes stresses to NEVER get back in your vehicle while filling it with gas.

If you absolutely HAVE to get in your vehicle while the gas is pumping, make sure when you get out, to close the door TOUCHING THE METAL, before you ever pull the nozzle out. This way the static from your body will be discharged BEFORE you remove the nozzle. You can find out more information by going to http://www.pei.org/. Once there, click on the center of the screen where it sas "Stop Static".

Please pass this information on to your wives, family and friends, especialy those who have kids in the car while pumping gas. If a fire were to ignite during refueling, they may not be able to get the children out in time. There have been tragic cases where children were burned to death as a result of static initiated fires during refueling

trailer rails
New Poster

Post by trailer rails »

I thought mythbusters covered this and proved that all of this was false, I belive everything I see on TV. TV knowes all.

dragracer1951
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by dragracer1951 »

Total and utter bunk.
Jim

Hey Kid...
Is my tail light still working?

"...you can't tune a motor that's hurt. They run much faster on fuel then they do on aluminum." - Elmer Trett

djalbin
Smilies Run Amok

Post by djalbin »

Jim wrote:Total and utter bunk.

The lawyers have advised me to make the following disclaimer ...

"Any implied statements by the Shell Oil Company regarding mobile phones (cell phones) igniting fumes during fueling operations are the sole responsibility of the internet, and neither the EXUPBrotherhood or it's particpating members are liable for any of the information, or misinformation, on the internet."

Don

djalbin
Smilies Run Amok

Post by djalbin »

However ... the last time I refilled my propane tank there was a sign posted on the refueling station that said to turn off cellphones when in the area of the refueling station.

Don

FZRDude
Co-Admin

Post by FZRDude »

:ATTENTION:

Please Turn Off Cell Phones While Browsing Our Forums.

:ATTENTION:

:poke
There are some who call me........Tim?
In Memory Of John "Silver" Douglas (Dec. 08, 2008) R.I.P. My Friend.

:wave: :popcorn :cursing :super-mad

djalbin
Smilies Run Amok

Post by djalbin »

:funny

Don Image
Last edited by djalbin on Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YZFRob
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by YZFRob »

ATTENTION:

Please send me money. :D
YZFRob

djalbin
Smilies Run Amok

Post by djalbin »

YZFRob wrote:Please send me money.
Cash Image or credit card Image ?

Don

Yoniboi
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by Yoniboi »

The whole cell phone business is full of urban myth, eg. don't use your phone in the hospital, it interferes with delicate electronic lifesaving equipment. Tosh, doctors want people to pay attention when they're being treated.
Likewise jet planes and consulates/embassies want them off in case someone uses them to remotely trigger incendiary devices. Never seemed very likely to me.

Mind the government's tapping my phone and spy satelites are watching everytime I break the speed limit.

John
If you're going to take a shot at me let me know so I can duck...!

YZFRob
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by YZFRob »

djalbin wrote:
YZFRob wrote:Please send me money.
Cash Image or credit card Image ?

Don
Cash only.:D
YZFRob

FZRDude
Co-Admin

Post by FZRDude »

I take Cash and Paypal!!!

:banana

djalbin
Smilies Run Amok

Post by djalbin »

Here's cash - but it's no more spendable than Monopoly money.

ImageImageImageImage

On the plus side ... I can afford to give out as much as you want.

Don

orionburn
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by orionburn »

trailer rails wrote:I thought mythbusters covered this and proved that all of this was false, I belive everything I see on TV. TV knowes all.
+1 :funny

I think we should duct tape a 5 gallon gas can and 10 cell phones to Tim and retest their theories to make sure they were right :banana
Nate
1987 FZR1000 (Still with fairings!)
2003 Bandit 1200S (It didn't come with fairings!)
Image Image

FZRDude
Co-Admin

Post by FZRDude »

Do I get to keep the gas if I don't blow up?

:banana

dragracer1951
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by dragracer1951 »

Do I get to keep the gas if I don't blow up?

I don't want to talk about you havin gas .....
:poke
Jim

Hey Kid...
Is my tail light still working?

"...you can't tune a motor that's hurt. They run much faster on fuel then they do on aluminum." - Elmer Trett