Interesting Tyre Problem

Got something you want to say but don't know where else to say it? This is the spot to post it!
kiwi60
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Interesting Tyre Problem

Post by kiwi60 »

Gidday,

I was out for a late afternoon cruise in the SV yesterday when I noticed a deteriation in handling.

I puled off the road and checked the front tyre to see if it had lost some pressure - and this is what I found:

There is a line around the total circumference of the front tyre, which is slightly raised when you run your finger from side to side.

A VERY slow ride home followed this discovery and I will be taking the bike into the local tyre dealer who fitted this tyre during the week.

As you can see, the live actually swerves around the tread, showing that this isn't the result of something scoring the tyre.

Any thoughts on this one guys?

Oh yeah, the tyre is a Michelin Pilot Power 120/70 ZR17, Made in Spain and about 1/3 worn, plus I check tyre pressure every time I go riding.

In light of Michelin's recent front tyre recall, any information would be welcomed.

Cheers
“I venture not to cross that finish line in a neat, tidy well ordered bundle, but to slide across it sideways in a shower of spark’s, leaking oil, hissing steam shouting ..Geronimo !!!!! “

2005 SV996R SOLD
1988 FZR750/1040 race bike SOLD
1988 FZR750/1000 - the next project CHANGING THE LOOK AGAIN, BUT STILL ON THE ROAD
Now he's got a KAWASAKI!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nope - Sold that one too
Dang - he’s got a Triumph now :o

ozzyfzr
Veteran Poster

Post by ozzyfzr »

Seen this before with "dual composite" tyres, soft sidewall harder centres. It's the intersection point of the 2 compounds!!!

My front a Michelin used to have it - threw it on the heap!!!!!!

stan
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by stan »

looks like a deleiniation between rubber compounds
It makes sence as the tyre grooves would be in the mould

Point the finger and jump up and down, manafacturing fault!!!!
nice pick up

stan
Motorcycling, it's a participation sport!!

kiwi60
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by kiwi60 »

Gidday,

Thanks for that guy's, I posted a similar thread on a local bike web site and the general reaction was 'don't step out of line' - but I'm just not the kind of guy to sit down about something like this.

I'll keep you posted with the meeting at the shop.

Cheers
“I venture not to cross that finish line in a neat, tidy well ordered bundle, but to slide across it sideways in a shower of spark’s, leaking oil, hissing steam shouting ..Geronimo !!!!! “

2005 SV996R SOLD
1988 FZR750/1000 - the next project CHANGING THE LOOK AGAIN, BUT STILL ON THE ROAD

hotcam
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by hotcam »

Yes it is a moulding delamination, your "Made in Spain" tyre is not part of the recall but given the recent publicity I am sure Michelin NZ would consider doing the right thing by you. Worth asking, for sure.
-------
'95 FZR1040 '09 FZ1-S
"And they had a machine, a dream of a machine, with wheels and gears and perfect in every respect, and they lived on it..." -Stanislaw Lem, "Cyberiad"

ozzyfzr
Veteran Poster

Post by ozzyfzr »

kiwi60 wrote: 'don't step out of line'
Do they have no spines! or just deep pockets????

Life and Limb, get what you expect to get!!! a tyre that works!

hotcam
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by hotcam »

I ought to say I've seen this lots of times in various brands, and a lot of the time its fine, not a problem. But occasionally, the tyre has been losing pressure or wearing strangely, or the two parts can be peeled apart a bit by sideways finger pressure (!), and in that case, definitely get a replacement.
-------
'95 FZR1040 '09 FZ1-S
"And they had a machine, a dream of a machine, with wheels and gears and perfect in every respect, and they lived on it..." -Stanislaw Lem, "Cyberiad"

kiwi60
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by kiwi60 »

Gidday,

Time for an update.

Between torential spring rain showers this morning, I took the SV down to the shop who I bought the tyre from, and on looking at it they agreed that something was definatley wrong with the tyre and that further inspection should be carried out by Michelin to determine what has caused the delamination.

Not only was there a raised portion over the line in the tyre, there was also a hollow on another area, showing clear cause for concern.

A new replacement Pilot Power has been fitted at no cost to me, and I will be informed of the test results.

The tyre shop acted with complete professionalism and are to be commended on their action.

This is not a witch hunt against Michelin, it's just that it is the brand of tyre involved here, and I hope that this will stimulate all readers to regulary check your tyres - no matter what brand they are.

A tyre is a manufactured item and there is always a possibliy of a random fault occuring during production, and this is what I suspect this it - a random fault. If I was convinced that this brand was 'crook', there is no way that I would have had another one put on.

Look after your tyres guys and inspect them regulary - they are the only thing keeping your rims off the road.

Cheers

2005 SV996R SOLD

MIOB
Regular Poster

Post by MIOB »

Your last post is very suprising to me...

All Michelin Pilot Powers show this line (all, not just the 2ct's). It has something to do with the static electricity buildup and the compound.

The line will show some irregularities if you don't have a nice, even tirewear.
Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert

kiwi60
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by kiwi60 »

Gidday,
All Michelin Pilot Powers show this line (all, not just the 2ct's).
Yep, I've seen this line on the last 4 Pilot Powers that have been on the bike, but there was something very wrong with is one.

The tyre was about 1/3 worn, and the wear was very even, and as this is my road bike I don't ride it that hard as there are too many idiots out there as it is, so I keep the fast work for the track now (hmm - I'm starting to sound like a sensible middle aged man - how did that happen?).

The raised part would have been about 1mm, all the way around the circumference of the tyre, resulting in instability not unlike a loss of pressure, which is why I stopped to check it.

I didn't notice the hollow in the tyre until it was pointed out at the shop, but that could have happened during the slow 50kph ride in.

This hasn't shaken my confidence in Michelin tyres, and I will still be checking them every time I go riding - like I always do, and that is the real point of this thread - CHECK YOU TYRES EVERY TIME YOU RIDE.

Any tyre manufacture could have a 'friday' tyre slip through their inspection process so it's up to us to maintain and check them.

Cheers

2005 SV996R SOLD

MsHap
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by MsHap »

I had that happen once and like 300miles into a trip it made like a worse bump on one spot and I could not ride anymore :(
My Name is Chrissy
This is Jello

"A total lack of self peservation is good for about another 30HP" Confusious

silver
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by silver »

kiwi60 wrote:This is not a witch hunt against Michelin, it's just that it is the brand of tyre involved here, and I hope that this will stimulate all readers to regulary check your tyres - no matter what brand they are.
Take this in the "for what it's worth category" but I won't be putting Michelins on my bikes. Contis, Pirelli's, Bridgestones or even Dunlops. I just look at the number of issues that Valentino Rossi has had (DNF in China and 10th in Turkey) and that's enough for me.

MsHap
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by MsHap »

I only use Super Corsas :)
Jello never fell down with them :)
My Name is Chrissy
This is Jello

"A total lack of self peservation is good for about another 30HP" Confusious

hotcam
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by hotcam »

Take this in the "for what it's worth category" but I won't be putting Michelins on my bikes. Contis, Pirelli's, Bridgestones or even Dunlops. I just look at the number of issues that Valentino Rossi has had (DNF in China and 10th in Turkey) and that's enough for me.

Michelins have won how many of the world MotoGP championships in a row? I don't think us mere mortals need worry. Any of the above brands should do fine, although I haven't tried Conti or Pirelli in years, and I do NOT like Dunlop in the wet (ok in the dry though).
-------
'95 FZR1040 '09 FZ1-S

silver
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by silver »

hotcam wrote:Michelins have won how many of the world MotoGP championships in a row?.
In a row ? How about just back-to-back ?

Yoniboi
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by Yoniboi »

Hey, I'm with hotcam, what they do with GP tyres has soooo little to do with what we buy (despite the marketing guys selling us otherwise) that I don't see the correlation.

Pilot powers have worked a treat for many people on this forum, it makes sense to check your tyres regularly, whatever the brand, and frankly, having ridden the Spondon down from the UK to Spain on Dunlops before changing to PPs I can tell you that unless someting radical happens I won't be using the Ds again... they were terrifying in the wet, and uninspiring in the dry. The PPs are a dream, if we see a lot of problems I'd consider changing, but I've got one of the recall 2 compounds on the front of the FZR1K and still haven't taken it back to change it cos there's just nothing wrong with it. (But I will, I will). One guy (out of many) with a problem, and that sorted no probs by the dealer, is a credit to the brand, not a motive for having a go.

Hugs to everyone, just a hug though eh,
John
If you're going to take a shot at me let me know so I can duck...!