Rag doll down

Got something you want to say but don't know where else to say it? This is the spot to post it!
silver
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Rag doll down

Post by silver »

Yeah been down and now I'm really down. I had a flat tonight on the front tire while riding into work on I24 tonight The bike is a real mess. Right side is scraped up huge. The flat might not have been so bad except when I moved towards the shoulder (down to about 70MPH at this point) the bead on the tire gave way completely and down we went. The phrase "Ouch time" from one of the Star Wars movies immediately popped into my mind :roll:

jjs777
Co-Admin

Post by jjs777 »

dude just called me - bummer
sorry to hear! that sucks

silver
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by silver »

Yeah, it definitely bites huge. I have the last half of the week off to work on it and now there ain't no way she's going to be ridable for a while. Whole right side and upper fairing are toast. Surprised the gas tank didn't take a hit. Me, you might say I'm just "texturized" :)

pacer
Veteran Poster

Post by pacer »

At least you are okay.
There is always free cheese in a mouse trap.
97 YZF750

ozzyfzr
Veteran Poster

Post by ozzyfzr »

$$$$$$$$$$$$ can replace plastic, not so sure on flesh tho!
Glad your OK!!

silver
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by silver »

Thanks guys ! This is the very first serious accident I've been in on a motorcycle. Have to thank Joe Rocket as the jacket and gloves really took the brunt of the fall. I might go ahead and get the 750 back on the road :banana

hotcam
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by hotcam »

Sheesh! Just when you think you know how to ride, this stuff happens. Glad you got out of it in 1 piece, sad to hear about the grazes and bruises on you and on the bike.
-------
'95 FZR1040 '09 FZ1-S
"And they had a machine, a dream of a machine, with wheels and gears and perfect in every respect, and they lived on it..." -Stanislaw Lem, "Cyberiad"

dragracer1951
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by dragracer1951 »

What year...I may know where there are some fixable plastics.....
Jim

Hey Kid...
Is my tail light still working?

"...you can't tune a motor that's hurt. They run much faster on fuel then they do on aluminum." - Elmer Trett

silver
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by silver »

dragracer1951 wrote:What year...I may know where there are some fixable plastics.....
'92 and thanks to Tim who has already helped me with both left and right lowers. The front upper fairing is busted though. I'm in a holding pattern until I get a truck to pick her up. Also I think I need a little time to heal up myself. Found a couple punctures that were a little deeper than I thought. Perhaps I shouldn't carry that Gerber knife widget on my belt the next time I take a dive ! :roll:

kiwi60
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by kiwi60 »

Gidday,

Mate - bad news, but good to hear your still with us.

Just out of interest - what make is the front tyre?

It seems that the more I ride on the road, the more I like my racing these days.

Take it easy for a few days.

Cheers
“I venture not to cross that finish line in a neat, tidy well ordered bundle, but to slide across it sideways in a shower of spark’s, leaking oil, hissing steam shouting ..Geronimo !!!!! “

2005 SV996R SOLD
1988 FZR750/1040 race bike SOLD
1988 FZR750/1000 - the next project CHANGING THE LOOK AGAIN, BUT STILL ON THE ROAD
Now he's got a KAWASAKI!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nope - Sold that one too
Dang - he’s got a Triumph now :o

silver
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by silver »

It was the Pirelli Supercorsa Pro which I whole heartedly recommend. One of the best tires I've ever had the pleasure of riding on. Even when it went flat due to damage from road debris, it still stayed somewhat controllable because of the rather stiff sidewalls. Note that they can be a PITA to mount up. As Tim informed me, you have to "spoon" the tire on while holding the bottom up into the middle of the rim. Again, an absolute PITA however I can't imagine any tire outperforming them in the twisties.

I've already recovered quite a bit. Fortunately I heal very quickly. Now if the rash would just stop just itching !

kiwi60
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by kiwi60 »

Now if the rash would just stop just itching !
That is the rash from the crash your referring to isn't it :poke :poke
“I venture not to cross that finish line in a neat, tidy well ordered bundle, but to slide across it sideways in a shower of spark’s, leaking oil, hissing steam shouting ..Geronimo !!!!! “

2005 SV996R SOLD
1988 FZR750/1040 race bike SOLD
1988 FZR750/1000 - the next project CHANGING THE LOOK AGAIN, BUT STILL ON THE ROAD
Now he's got a KAWASAKI!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nope - Sold that one too
Dang - he’s got a Triumph now :o

silver
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by silver »

kiwi60 wrote:That is the rash from the crash your referring to isn't it :poke :poke
Hardy har ... har.

:)

Yeah my right side from knee to inside my shoulder is nicely "pebbled".

noshoes
Veteran Poster

Post by noshoes »

Oh that sucks JD!! Glad your not hurt bad!!!! I came tru your neck of the woods last summer on my 90 1000. I rode 5000 miles in a month and stayed in Cleavland on my way to Daytona ,nice country out there!! :cheers :cheers :cheers
90 FZR 1000/92 FZR 1000 streetfighter
I like me some FAST!!!!
"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing." Helen Keller

pacer
Veteran Poster

Post by pacer »

Silver I put in the post about the guy looking for a slip-on, but I have an untrimmed Airtech nose (91-93) and a windscreen. If you are interested let me know. I see that Dude is already working with the lowers, but I have them too if need be.
There is always free cheese in a mouse trap.
97 YZF750

Yoniboi
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by Yoniboi »

Sorry to hear you kissed tarmac man, that's rough. Glad to hear you're up and about and that damage to the bike is 'superficial'.

My mate's finally getting his Daytona 600 back on the road after 6 weeks of repairs. It barrel rolled off the road. Now it's back together, repainted, new bits all over the place and he's poor but happy........ then he realises the rear sunframe isn't straight over the back tyre. He's going to live with it apparently.

Shouldn't be a problem for you. Which is a good thing.

You're not having much luck with your EXUP this year. are you? Hope 2008 brings you better.

John
If you're going to take a shot at me let me know so I can duck...!

silver
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by silver »

Luck ? Don't know the lady !

Here's some pics. Appears to be much better than I originally thought. Barney could have her fixed up in a week but I'm probably going to take my time with her. Needs fairing, fairing stays, right bar, front master cylinder, slip-on muffler and paint. I wish I could take credit for the minimal amount of damage done however nobody can bring a bike down from 70mph. to ground with only that little bit of damage.

Here’s the culprit.

I'm going to do a complete tear-down this Saturday including removing and inspecting the forks. That means lots of questions !

FZRDude
Co-Admin

Post by FZRDude »

Dang!

You know.... I think that is the first pic of your bike I have seen.
There are some who call me........Tim?
In Memory Of John "Silver" Douglas (Dec. 08, 2008) R.I.P. My Friend.

:wave: :popcorn :cursing :super-mad

silver
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by silver »

FZRDude wrote:Dang!You know.... I think that is the first pic of your bike I have seen.
Well she wasn't bad looking until I "customized" her. I've talked to Karen about it and if I don't get the YZF then I'm going to see what I can do with the FZR to get her mobile ASAP. I really would like to have that YZF though. Then I'd be able to take my time and tear into the motor and such without concern for getting back on the road.

straygator
Veteran Poster

Post by straygator »

Hey Silver,

So sorry to hear about your mishap, glad your all right. I ride home on flat rears everytime, a little dicey on the on/off ramps, but better than hanging on the roadside!!! I've never had a front flat except on dirt bikes and managed to stop OK then. I was wondering what I might do if my front goes flat on the street like what happened to you. I don't imagine you used your brake or anything like that, but do you think if you took to the grass before dropping below 70, you could've slowed to a stop without the front washing out? I'm over 60, ride in FL in shorts, T-shirts and flip=flops and don't want to think about kissing the pavement like that. Like to hear what others have done when their front goes down.

AND '87s run cooler and faster without their lowers... just a thought.

Good luck with you recovery,
Paul