Tyres tyres tyres

Got something you want to say but don't know where else to say it? This is the spot to post it!
Big Jon
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by Big Jon »

Track surface throws another variable into the works too. We have a very abrasive and sticky track. I've got older michelins and run 30/30 cold. This yields the 5-7psi gain that I'm looking for cold to hot. Bridgestone has new tires with different compound and construction too, there's even a specific 003 meant for endurance races. Surprisingly enough wet race tires need a couple more psi not less, if you lower pressure you allow the blocks to close up and you end up with slicks. You're not relying on the heat as much as the softer compound and the open tread.

JasonL
Veteran Poster

Post by JasonL »

Jon,

Yeah, especially if the track is drying a bit it is said you should run wets higher too so they don't get shredded quite so badly/quickly. But what I believe you shoud do is soften the suspension a bit in the wet.

Someone else from Edmonton, yey!

Big Jon
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by Big Jon »

Yeah, Mikey pointed me this way. I know some of the names and/or bikes from other forums. Definitely soften the suspension in the wet, that just seemed out of the scope of this thread as it pertained to tires.

sickle44
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by sickle44 »

There's actually another dude too, but he hardly ever posts, Mccerana or something like that.
Michael
Yes Yes I know, I said, I'm building a project YZF1070

Basement is done now, 850 finished and gone...
Gotta get the new siding up on the house.
Fixing the FZ1 up, cleaning up garage and then I might even begin

YEC_YZF750SP
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by YEC_YZF750SP »

I would stick with Pirelli since they are the spec tyre for WSBK and know what they're doing with production based 4 stroke machines.

Without a doubt, the Pirelli Diablo Superbike slicks are F*cking awesome!! Excellent grip and amazing "feel" plus they heat up very quickly. Haven't needed to use tyre warmers for these.

I've used SC0 (super-soft) front, SC1 (soft front) , SC2 (med) front and a SC2 (med) rear. My all time fav combo is SC2 (med) Front & Rear for track-days.

Yes, Bridgestone have a fantastic tyre for 4 stroke machines as well but let's not forget that those are for MotoGP machines. Not to mention there's no way "us common folk" will get what Rossi & co. are supplied!

I've ridden on Bridgestone slicks YCY (med) front/YCY (med) rear and found that they definitely need tyre warmers AND the track temp needs to be high before they come close to working even marginally well.

JasonL
Veteran Poster

Post by JasonL »

I'd have to agree that the Bridgestone's do seem to need plenty of heat to work properly. What sort of conditions have you been on them in??