v twins Aprilia honda rc51 or buell 1125r

Got something you want to say but don't know where else to say it? This is the spot to post it!
bcguide
New Poster

v twins Aprilia honda rc51 or buell 1125r

Post by bcguide »

do any of you have any experance with them. Any of one of them better
Than the the others, any preferances
Scott

spook
Dolphin-headed purple plasma TLR thing?

Post by spook »

RC 51 would be my choice out of your list. I'm looking forward to tracking a rotax powered buell... It will be interesting. The aprillia's are good, also. Boils down to personal preference, none are dogs by any stretch.

Hooligan
Site Admin

Post by Hooligan »

my cousin had an rc51 that was purchased after one test ride. he's not a squid, years of bike experience both on and off road. he raves about the bike.

i personally like the look of the outgoing aprilia rsv-r.
Jason, aka: Hooligan
1994 YZF750-R
1996 YZF750-R
2003 Bonneville T100

Big Jon
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by Big Jon »

I like the Aprilia's better than the Honda. The RC's are famous for terrible fuel range and the RSV's have stronger motors. I knew something was up when in order to be competitive, Honda canada replaced EVERYTHING except 5 pieces on the RC for superbike racing. Kept was the frame, 3 engine covers and the rear caliper, all else was replace by kit stuff, and they still didn't win very often. The suzukis changed exhaust, intake cams, and suspension and not much more. Says a lot to me, but I've never been much of a Honda fan.

bcguide
New Poster

Post by bcguide »

I admit I am kind of leaning towards the aprilia Is different and you don't see many in here Canada.
A buell looks good too, just would like to know if there is any issues with the rotax motors

orionburn
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by orionburn »

bcguide wrote:I admit I am kind of leaning towards the aprilia Is different and you don't see many in here Canada.
A buell looks good too, just would like to know if there is any issues with the rotax motors
Something you do have to keep in mind is now that Buell is closing its doors parts will eventually be harder to find. But, if you own an FZR you're probably used to this by now. :ha

I don't have any experience with any of those bikes, but I always wanted an Aprilia. :)
Nate
1987 FZR1000 (Still with fairings!)
2003 Bandit 1200S (It didn't come with fairings!)
Image Image

Jaffa
New Poster

Post by Jaffa »

I have owned an aprilia RST 1000 Futura for 6 years.
Great bike, the sports tourer version of RSV 1000.
No real problems with the bike but spares can sometimes take a while for delivery.
See aprilia forum on the AF1 racing website for info on aprilia's.
Stuart

djalbin
Smilies Run Amok

Post by djalbin »

Nate wrote:parts will eventually be harder to find. But, if you own an FZR you're probably used to this by now. :ha
:funny
Don
1994 FZR1000
Tucson, AZ

spook

Post by spook »

As far as I'm aware Buell (or Harley) have guaranteed parts availability for the next decade. Buell parts are cheap by comparison to other makes... Much cheaper.

kiwi60
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by kiwi60 »

Buell parts are cheap by comparison to other makes... Much cheaper.
Yeah, especially the XB series - large volumes ment they could keep the prices down :poke

To be honest, I nearly bought an XB instead of the SV, it was sooo much fun to ride, but the prospect of owning one long term and keeping it on the road put me off.

The Buell 1125's seem like a good bike - but why did they have to reverse mount the tail fins from a '57 chev for air scoops - it just looks wrong.

Aprillia :P :P :P :P :P :P slobber - yes please!!!!!!!

but I can't say the RC51 does anything for me - but I've never been a Honda man despite owning some over the years.

:2cents
“I venture not to cross that finish line in a neat, tidy well ordered bundle, but to slide across it sideways in a shower of spark’s, leaking oil, hissing steam shouting ..Geronimo !!!!! “

2005 SV996R SOLD
1988 FZR750/1040 race bike SOLD
1988 FZR750/1000 - the next project CHANGING THE LOOK AGAIN, BUT STILL ON THE ROAD
Now he's got a KAWASAKI!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nope - Sold that one too
Dang - he’s got a Triumph now :o

kiwi60
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by kiwi60 »

Oh year, after 30,000kms, I still LOVE my modified SV1000S :banana

“I venture not to cross that finish line in a neat, tidy well ordered bundle, but to slide across it sideways in a shower of spark’s, leaking oil, hissing steam shouting ..Geronimo !!!!! “

2005 SV996R SOLD
1988 FZR750/1040 race bike SOLD
1988 FZR750/1000 - the next project CHANGING THE LOOK AGAIN, BUT STILL ON THE ROAD
Now he's got a KAWASAKI!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nope - Sold that one too
Dang - he’s got a Triumph now :o

spook

Post by spook »

kiwi60 wrote:Oh year, after 30,000kms, I still LOVE my modified SV1000S :banana
Must say I've got a bit of a soft spot for Suzuki's big twins also... :)

hotcam
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by hotcam »

I agree, SV's and TL's are fun. I'd like to try the RC51 one day, it's drool-worthy.
Aprilia and Buell just didn't do it for me, don't know why.
-------
'95 FZR1040 '09 FZ1-S
"And they had a machine, a dream of a machine, with wheels and gears and perfect in every respect, and they lived on it..." -Stanislaw Lem, "Cyberiad"