Read about a crash

Got something you want to say but don't know where else to say it? This is the spot to post it!
FZRDude
Co-Admin

Read about a crash

Post by FZRDude »

I just read about a bike crash that happened yesterday. "Squid" was hauling the mail on a nice road and some how missed the corner. Now I've been down this road many a time and at a good clip, yet I fail to see how this happened.

There are 2 ideas that come to mind:
1) Inexperience
2) A shit ton of speed

Here is a map of where the accident occured (headed West on Hwy 112).
http://maps.yahoo.com/#mvt=m&lat=48.147 ... 36&zoom=15

And the article in the news.
http://www.komonews.com/news/local/96249044.html

Sad to hear and hope he lives, but don't think he'll be riding anytime soon.
There are some who call me........Tim?
In Memory Of John "Silver" Douglas (Dec. 08, 2008) R.I.P. My Friend.

:wave: :popcorn :cursing :super-mad

YZFRob
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by YZFRob »

Well we had 5 bike fatals this year alone (since March). 2 were sportbike riders who had a vehicle turn left in front of them (drivers of the cars still no word of being charged and its been a couple months), and 3 cruisers riders (2 were HD, 3rd unsure). These 3 were DRUNK. 1 blew a stop sign on a T-intersection and hit the ditch and flew 75 feet. 1 lost control and went into a culvert and the 3rd blew a red light at speed and hit a pickup and car. None of them had helmets either.

Of course the ones on the sportbikes, people who "witnessed them" said they were flying because of the sound. :roll: Been riding sportbikes for 20 yrs and theres no way in hell I can tell how fast a bike is going by sound alone (unless I hear it go through the gears from a stop and then its still only an approximation).
YZFRob

sickle44
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by sickle44 »

Well, maybe cagers couldn't really tell by sound whether a guy was going too fast or not, but you gotta admit Rob, if many newer bikes were wound up in first gear, they'd be going pretty damned fast as near redline in first gear on most new machines is near 60mph right? So, might be somewhat truthful.

An old work colleague of my wife's was in an accident with her two children, drunk driver struck them. She lost her 8 year old son, Conner, Please Pray for the Family, Jennifer, Blair, and their younger daughter Olivia. There are just way too many ways to ask for prayer on this one so...... whatever you feel led to.... thanks much.
Michael
Yes Yes I know, I said, I'm building a project YZF1070

Basement is done now, 850 finished and gone...
Gotta get the new siding up on the house.
Fixing the FZ1 up, cleaning up garage and then I might even begin

rush1
Veteran Poster

Post by rush1 »

Micheal, sorry to hear your loss. My prayers are with your friend.
As far as the article, I just read it on the net. That kid is lucky he only loss part of his leg. You see it more and more these days with the younger kids getting into accidents. Hope he recovers. Bikes now a days are faster and I don't think they really grasp how quick they are. Before you know it you are doing 100 +mph and can't stop or turn in time. Sad really.
:bfg

sickle44
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by sickle44 »

Thanks Gerry,

Spend a little time on the R1 board and it'll just make you sick! Kids asking whether or not they should buy an R1 as their first bike and you wouldn't believe the number of cocky little buggers saying, oh yeah.... no problem, go for it! As to why North America doesn't have any sort of graduated licensing, I'll never know; other than the fact that companies want their sales too badly!
Michael

YZFRob
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by YZFRob »

I know sickle. Mine in 1st does 70. New Zx10's & R1's can break 100 in 1st. Hell I've been yelled at to slow down while doing 40mph in a 40 at 7000-ish rpm. :roll: Most people dont know that a sportbikes normal cruise rpm usually is higher than cars and HD's.

One reason I can think the US doesnt have a graduated license system for bikes is the fallacy that they, the people, have a "right" to ride/drive on the streets when in fact its a priveledge and not a right. When WI started trying to do the graduated license in cars for kids, there was a HUGE fight on it before it finally passed (and was neutered to boot).

I would LOVE to see a system similar to Australia's licensing system here for every vehicle. I really dont see a reason a 16 yr old kid needs a 500hp car as a first vehicle nor a 600cc sportbike much less a 200hp liter bike as a first bike.
YZFRob

ThomVis
Veteran Poster

Post by ThomVis »

Motorcycle accidents are never a good thing. :cry:

About the license part, here in the Netherlands you can only get a drivers license at the age of 18. And motorcycles >25kw only when you're 23 or been driving motorcycles for at least 3 years. And on motorcycles helmets are mandatory, always. Countries around have similar laws.
But we too get the yahoos who buy Hayabusas because they look wicked, not realizing and/or respecting that the machine they're throwing their leg over can kill them. On the other hand we recently lost a member in his late 30's, with more than enough years sportbike experience, known to be a responsible and defensive driver. Head on into a truck while overtaking.
Intelligence is alcohol soluble.

sickle44
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by sickle44 »

I think everyone outta start out on basic two valve Air/Oil cooled machines as really, you not only need to learn how to ride, but you also need to learn how to wrench as even simple standard machines are still in a much higher state of tune then there four wheeled cousins, unless of course, you're one of those folks that can somehow just give your keys to an unknown service writer. What an unbearable thought.

Ok, so the rich folk don't have to learn how to wrench, trouble is, they can't buy riding know how or common sense for that matter?
Michael