The "New Look"

Got something you want to say but don't know where else to say it? This is the spot to post it!
FZRDude
Co-Admin

The "New Look"

Post by FZRDude »

Well everyone, Hooligan as done it. He has slaved over a hot computer keyboard for something like a week and has refreshed our Home. Please take a moment to "Thank Him" and all of his efforts in keeping our little corner of the internet Ours.

At the same time, feel free to fire off any pot shots at me for being a butthead most of the time. :scared

Lastly, take a moment to put down a few words about what you do and do not like about the changes. We will do our best to ignore as many of them as we can for as long as possible.

Thanks everyone!

Hooli You ROCK! :rock
There are some who call me........Tim?
In Memory Of John "Silver" Douglas (Dec. 08, 2008) R.I.P. My Friend.

:wave: :popcorn :cursing :super-mad

Hooligan
Site Admin

Re: The "New Look"

Post by Hooligan »

Tim,

I am going to mess with the spam controls this evening. I got about 6 registration requests that need review. I was hoping the improved controls would snag this, so we'll see. I think I'll still have to integrate an add-on spam stopper.
Jason, aka: Hooligan
1994 YZF750-R
1996 YZF750-R
2003 Bonneville T100

FZRDude
Co-Admin

Post by FZRDude »

All I can do Hooli is recommend the ones that I think will work. I've been using the "Stopforumspam.com" link exclusively for my deletions for over 4 years, so I suspect that they are a reliable service. Please look into that site for more info on how to implement their code.

Thomvis may have had experience with this site, if not, he should look into it for his own needs.....

Thank you again Jason for all you have done to help us keep our home and info safe.

FZRDude
Co-Admin

Post by FZRDude »

:whore

ThomVis
Veteran Poster

Post by ThomVis »

FZRDude wrote:Thomvis may have had experience with this site, if not, he should look into it for his own needs.....
There is no need. I've changed the forum root folder into something the script kiddies/spammers don't have on their list. Spam registration went from 5-10 a day to 0 in a year. Sometimes security-through-obscurity pays off.
Intelligence is alcohol soluble.

Hooligan
Site Admin

Post by Hooligan »

i can definitely do what thom recommends in about 5 seconds, but then everyone will have to either locate the page or update their bookmarks.

i could place an html page at the current address with a link to wherever i move the forum. or, i could put up a redirect. will the spam bots be able to "read" my html link and "find" the forum anyhow?
1994 YZF750-R
1996 YZF750-R
2003 Bonneville T100

ThomVis
Veteran Poster

Post by ThomVis »

Hooligan wrote:i can definitely do what thom recommends in about 5 seconds, but then everyone will have to either locate the page or update their bookmarks.

i could place an html page at the current address with a link to wherever i move the forum. or, i could put up a redirect. will the spam bots be able to "read" my html link and "find" the forum anyhow?
This would have to be a php redirect, not a html redirect. But I have those ready and waiting.
I still am in favor of a root html page with a link to the forum, so when the forum folder changes users can fall back to the root website and update their shortcuts afterwards. You just have to bite the bullet at some time.
Creating php redirects is certainly possible, spammers usually script against ucp.php to register, and do not go thru index.php to read messages. But I don't know enough of their scripts to judge if a php redirect on index.php would be a hole in this "security". Creating a php page to inform what users should do without a direct link or redirect is also possible (I use this method to inform users I'm doing maintenance on the forum and they should come back later).

duke22
Veteran Poster

Post by duke22 »

I wish I had even the faintest idea what you guys are talking about doing, but I do appreciate you doing it :)

Like the new look, keep up the good work.

spook
Dolphin-headed purple plasma TLR thing?

Post by spook »

Thanks again for spending the time making the changes Lads. I've got to say in relation to your request for feedback, that the format is hard to look at, and it is harder to see what has been read and what hasn't. I think the old format was easier to read and navigate. Simplicity is a beautiful thing. :) Site seem slower as well? Anyway appreciate your efforts and hope our spam bot Tim gets some well deserved rest from those a-holes. Ohhh, any chance of a drool icon...lol

Also, no mark all as read button for the individual forums?

Hooligan
Site Admin

Post by Hooligan »

spook, i agree with you on the board readability. give me a few days to work out a few items and i'll start changing the theme. i have the same problem with the new post icons.

yes, it is a bit slower. not sure if that's due to the new software or the database, but i plan on keeping an eye on it for problems. time will tell.

i'll also look into a more "robust" smiley pack.

didn't even notice the magical disappearance of the "mark all as read" link. i didn't turn that option off OR on, so i'll have to do some digging to see if the software creators moved it. thanks for bringing it up.
1994 YZF750-R
1996 YZF750-R
2003 Bonneville T100

spook

Post by spook »

The mark all as read link has either turned up, or was there all along...lol.

Keep up the good work Hoolie :banana

Hooligan
Site Admin

Post by Hooligan »

well, i didn't do anything to it yet...so where the hell is it? i can't seem to see it!
1994 YZF750-R
1996 YZF750-R
2003 Bonneville T100

YZFRob
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by YZFRob »

One thing that works well on another board I'm on is to make all but the introduction board visible to people not logged in and in this area they must introduce themselves before being approved to access the general forums.
YZFRob

Hooligan
Site Admin

Post by Hooligan »

not a bad idea rob. i could do something similar by activating the "newly registered user" group permissions and setting a minimum post count before they wander off somewhere else. course, that could seem a bit more pushy than your method...
1994 YZF750-R
1996 YZF750-R
2003 Bonneville T100

ThomVis
Veteran Poster

Post by ThomVis »

Hooligan wrote:well, i didn't do anything to it yet...so where the hell is it? i can't seem to see it!
Board index, almost top richt corner.
Over to the left you have the link "View unread posts", that is my shortcut/favorite to the forum (any forum I am a member of). When I'm done reading the stuff I'm interested in I click to the board index and Mark all posts read. Next.

spook

Post by spook »

Hoolie, just posted a couple of picture here:

http://www.exupworldwide.com/forum/view ... &start=220

The last two pictures of the post have been cropped for some reason? The originals are a little larger in Photo Bucket. I did the usual 1200 pixel wide upload but they have been shaved?

ThomVis
Veteran Poster

Post by ThomVis »

spook wrote:Hoolie, just posted a couple of picture here:

http://www.exupworldwide.com/forum/view ... &start=220

The last two pictures of the post have been cropped for some reason? The originals are a little larger in Photo Bucket. I did the usual 1200 pixel wide upload but they have been shaved?
When I open your pictures directly from PB they still show up 1024x768, so I don't think it's a forum issue.

spook

Post by spook »

ThomVis wrote:When I open your pictures directly from PB they still show up 1024x768, so I don't think it's a forum issue.
They are cropped as compared to what I img'ed in Photobucket. This has not happened before.

What do you think of the paint? lol.

spook

Post by spook »

Here is the direct link:

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x34 ... 5d73c3.jpg

This is a science experiment...

spook

Post by spook »

Nice paint eh Thom? :poke

So for some reason the images were cropped.

Another thing Hoolie...lol, is that when you post a reply you can't see the previous forum posts for reference as per before. Cheers... :)