The "New Look"

Got something you want to say but don't know where else to say it? This is the spot to post it!
ThomVis
Veteran Poster

Re: The "New Look"

Post by ThomVis »

spook wrote:Another thing Hoolie...lol, is that when you post a reply you can't see the previous forum posts for reference as per before. Cheers... :)
Did you scroll down when you're in the "Post a reply" window? There is a "Topic review" window below.
Intelligence is alcohol soluble.

spook
Dolphin-headed purple plasma TLR thing?

Post by spook »

Oh I see... it's just so far down who would have thought? How are you Hoolie? :)

Hooligan
Site Admin

Post by Hooligan »

Just read the new posts. Yeah, you have to scroll down a bit farther in order to see the thread's contents. Kinda threw me for a few until I noticed it as well. Not sure why the software people would have made that change. When I mess with the site's overall style/theme I'll see if that changes.

As for photos appearing cropped, I'll see if I might have changed a permissions option in relation to image posting. It should allow full-size images to display. There are quite a few ways to post photos on this board and others, as well as the individual options that the photo sharing sites have. I am lucky enough to have been using Photoshop and other graphics programs since about 1995, so I can buzz through those things pretty quick. I'll check it out.

Right now, the board is running a "liquid" theme. This means that as you resize your browser window the site resizes with it. This is great for big images and large posts since you can stretch your page to avoid "cropping" the image, but terrible from a layout standpoint because any images that don't fit within the predetermined size appear cropped.

Wait a minute, maybe that's the reason your images look cropped?
Jason, aka: Hooligan
1994 YZF750-R
1996 YZF750-R
2003 Bonneville T100

duke22
Veteran Poster

Post by duke22 »

Just an observation, I note when moving around in the new forum I periodically get a "Webpage has expired" message and have to press the refresh button to bring it back. No big deal but it didn't happen with the "old" forum?

Hooligan
Site Admin

Post by Hooligan »

hmmm, interesting, duke. i haven't encountered that problem yet and have been logged in to the forum for over an hour at a time both actively moving around and static. i could check our cookie settings, but i would have to do some digging to see if this could be related to the board.

anyone else have this problem?
1994 YZF750-R
1996 YZF750-R
2003 Bonneville T100

ThomVis
Veteran Poster

Post by ThomVis »

Hooligan wrote:Just read the new posts. Yeah, you have to scroll down a bit farther in order to see the thread's contents. Kinda threw me for a few until I noticed it as well. Not sure why the software people would have made that change.
You put all the large smileys on the posting page. This is an option for each smiley, and the site will display a link "View more smilies" for the smileys you didn't show at the posting page. Doing that will shrink the smiley window and bring the "Topic review" section more into view. Of course depending on screen size and resolution.

jjs777
Co-Admin

Post by jjs777 »

Thanks Hooli

Since I can no longer find my black theme available as one of the options I'm going to go all 'user' and say revert back to previous version.

Seriously - thx for spending the time.

Tim if you have 'time' to do things like 'skiing' then you prolly have the time to go grab a book and read up on 'bike forum administration 101' and start doing this stuff yourself. Stop having fun.

Hooligan
Site Admin

Post by Hooligan »

ha! in tim's defense, he's been on top of the general forum crap for years. it's just eh back-end stuff that's the real PITA.

yeah, the themes have changed a bit. we're not running any extras like we had on the previous board. i'll hopefully be creating a unique look here in the future.
1994 YZF750-R
1996 YZF750-R
2003 Bonneville T100

sickle44
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by sickle44 »

Thanks for the upgrade Hooli.

Can you please adjust the Login time back to 60 minutes instead of whatever the default with this new version is? Thanks.
Michael
Yes Yes I know, I said, I'm building a project YZF1070

Basement is done now, 850 finished and gone...
Gotta get the new siding up on the house.
Fixing the FZ1 up, cleaning up garage and then I might even begin

jjs777
Co-Admin

Post by jjs777 »

sickle44 wrote:Thanks for the upgrade Hooli.

Can you please adjust the Login time back to 60 minutes instead of whatever the default with this new version is? Thanks.
I checked the board settings and couldn't find the threshold value that would relate to your 60 minute issue.
Could this be more to do with the browser you are using ?
Maybe Hooli can find it - I'll try googling it.

-John

spook

Post by spook »

Guys, Any chance we can work out why pictures are cropped once posted? For instance, these images are the full page in my photo bucket account but end up cropped once posted.

Direct link to image:

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x34 ... 6f7bae.jpg

how it looks once img'd into the post:

http://www.exupworldwide.com/forum/view ... 12&t=11007

Also, the user profile thing/provision on the right -> seems to take up more of the page than it needs to?

Hooligan
Site Admin

Post by Hooligan »

sickle, i'll take a look at the properties this evening.

spook, i think we posted a reply to this on the previous page. the images are not cropping when posted on the forum. you'll just need to widen the size of your browser window. the right sidebar does take up a bit more screen space than the old version did, but no actual image cropping is taking place. the link to your photobucket account shows the pixel dimensions of the file "a86f7bae.jpg" as 1023x797. when i right click on the same image in your forum post and open it in a new window, the pixel dimensions are the same. another thing you could be seeing is that the forum displays images at 100% of actual size, whereas if you open an image in your browser window that has a vertical pixel height that is taller than your window viewport, the browser will automatically resize it so you can see 100% of the image (at least that's how it is on safari and firefox on a mac).

i'll take another look at the posting preferences while i am searching for sickle's request to see if there is a way i can force the forum to fit an image in the window.
1994 YZF750-R
1996 YZF750-R
2003 Bonneville T100

spook

Post by spook »

I need to go wide screen. lol. I'm still using a 21" CRT Sony trinatron from my graphic design days. I see what you mean, I saved the criopped image and it is on my drive in full size. Makes sense now :) Thanks!

Hooligan
Site Admin

Post by Hooligan »

no prob spook. i still plan on looking to see if i can set some preferences for images. i think some of the other styles use a left side column for the user profiles, so that might help as well.

i'll keep ya posted.
1994 YZF750-R
1996 YZF750-R
2003 Bonneville T100

Big Jon
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by Big Jon »

sickle44 wrote:Thanks for the upgrade Hooli.

I think it's us. Mine's off an hour too, if we change to gmt -7? we might be fine, we call it mountain standard.

Yup, that worked. It's in your personal settings change to UTC -7hours and you'll be fine Mike.
Thought you lost an hour somewhere? Hoping Old Timers was at least a couple more years away? :lol:

ThomVis
Veteran Poster

Post by ThomVis »

sickle44 wrote:Can you please adjust the Login time back to 60 minutes instead of whatever the default with this new version is? Thanks.
Might wanna clean up you cookies and check the link you use to access the forum. Login issues are usually just old cookies preventing new ones being made. Also the link you use to access the forum with can include a session number. Dump the session number from your link or just use http://www.exupworldwide.com/forum/ as sessions can expire, so your old session number becomes invalid.
Big Jon wrote:I think it's us. Mine's off an hour too, if we change to gmt -7? we might be fine, we call it mountain standard.

Yup, that worked. It's in your personal settings change to UTC -7hours and you'll be fine Mike.
Thought you lost an hour somewhere? Hoping Old Timers was at least a couple more years away? :lol:
Time zone settings in this version of the board are greatly improved over the last one. Time offset issues on the Dutch board are almost always users with wrong timezone of summertime settings.

@Hooli, see posts top-of-page to see what I meant when I said that switching iconsets back and forth can create issues.

Hooligan
Site Admin

Post by Hooligan »

ThomVis wrote:@Hooli, see posts top-of-page to see what I meant when I said that switching iconsets back and forth can create issues.
@Thom, yeah, I kinda figured that was going to happen when I started making the changes. Any paths that point towards an external link or image are usually a problem when things change. I should be able to fix that one.

Hopefully in the future we can avoid this problem again as the board is slowly cleaned up and a decent file structure is put in place.
1994 YZF750-R
1996 YZF750-R
2003 Bonneville T100

Hooligan
Site Admin

Post by Hooligan »

Oh yeah, the current image settings are set to allow an unlimited width and height of an image. I'll do some testing to see if placing a limit on size crops an image or auto-resizes it.
1994 YZF750-R
1996 YZF750-R
2003 Bonneville T100

ThomVis
Veteran Poster

Post by ThomVis »

Hooligan wrote:@Thom, yeah, I kinda figured that was going to happen when I started making the changes. Any paths that point towards an external link or image are usually a problem when things change. I should be able to fix that one.
The path to smilies is a variable on the forum, and moves with you when you rename root or TLD. These smileys not showing up is a smiley removed error. (I'll PM you with more details)