Bike graphics

Got something you want to say but don't know where else to say it? This is the spot to post it!
Hooligan
Site Admin

Re: Bike graphics

Post by Hooligan »

well, i guess i'll chime in with my 16 years of professional graphic design and prepress experience (just tooting my own horn).

there are far more incorrectly created logos floating around the web than correct versions. even versions that look pretty damn good are usually wrong. the only way to get a true recreation is by a flatbed scan of a Yamaha original as found in a brochure. taking a photo of a logo applied to any type of compound curve or radius will not give you a good starting point. in a pinch i have used photoshop's distort tools to remove a slight warp in a photo, but you're still going to be fudging the letter heights and widths in order to get something close.

i have removed decals cautiously and made my scans/recreations from that, but keep in mind that most of the time once it's off, it's not going back on.

as for the official factory decals, Yamaha had only slight variations over the course of the EXUP/DELTABOX/GENESIS/5 VALVE designs. I have some image files of a few, but have found even fewer that would make a decent starting point for a recreation. as far as i know there were no typestyle differences between logos on USA/EURO/ASIA machines, just color and placement.

the EXUP logo that I sent to thom is about 99% as close to the original as it gets. don't forget, these were most likely originally created by hand then transferred into an electronic format by the original designer, so they will not be "technically" perfect.
Jason, aka: Hooligan
1994 YZF750-R
1996 YZF750-R
2003 Bonneville T100

FZRDude
Co-Admin

Post by FZRDude »

The 2 compainies that I have used in the past, one no longer has a presence on the web, and the other has suspended Liscensing with Yamaha and no longer carry the logos.
There are some who call me........Tim?
In Memory Of John "Silver" Douglas (Dec. 08, 2008) R.I.P. My Friend.

:wave: :popcorn :cursing :super-mad

ThomVis
Veteran Poster

Post by ThomVis »

Finally squared the EXUP drawing Hooligan send me:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/27755071/Decal%20EXUP.svg

Next up are the deltabox and genesis.
@spook, can you send me a hi-res flatbed scan of the deltabox sticker you have there? (if it's too large for 1 go, I can stitch delta and abox back together when scanned at the same res ; )
Intelligence is alcohol soluble.

spook
Dolphin-headed purple plasma TLR thing?

Post by spook »

Sorry Thom... what is posted is the best I can do.

If any of you mad font people are interested in Macromedia fontographer 4.1 for windows let me know. It's a relatively small program so I should be able to email it if I zip it. I have to ask you don't share it around on pirate bay (where there are Mac versions) or the like, as I actually own the software... Ten years ago it was $800 us! Ouch!

Hooligan
Site Admin

Post by Hooligan »

ha! i had that program for a bit. too bad they stopped supporting it for the mac years ago.
1994 YZF750-R
1996 YZF750-R
2003 Bonneville T100

ThomVis
Veteran Poster

Post by ThomVis »

spook

Post by spook »

Hey Thom, can't open the link? if I can print it I can overlay it on an original :thumbup:

FZRDude
Co-Admin

Post by FZRDude »

I was able to open it.
There are some who call me........Tim?
In Memory Of John "Silver" Douglas (Dec. 08, 2008) R.I.P. My Friend.

:wave: :popcorn :cursing :super-mad

Monsterbishi
New Poster

Post by Monsterbishi »

spook wrote:Hey Thom, can't open the link? if I can print it I can overlay it on an original :thumbup:
have just emailed it to you if that helps?
--- Cut Here ---
'94 YZF750R
'94 JDM Mustang GT Coupe

spook

Post by spook »

hmmm. is it a 64 bit file by chance? I downloaded the file that Mark (thanks!) sent over, but can't open it in Photoshop or illustrator. Any chance you could save it as a Adobe file Thom?

Monsterbishi
New Poster

Post by Monsterbishi »

spook wrote:hmmm. is it a 64 bit file by chance? I downloaded the file that Mark (thanks!) sent over, but can't open it in Photoshop or illustrator. Any chance you could save it as a Adobe file Thom?
if you open it in Internet explorer you can save it as a png or bmp if that helps?
--- Cut Here ---
'94 YZF750R
'94 JDM Mustang GT Coupe

ThomVis
Veteran Poster

Post by ThomVis »

spook wrote:hmmm. is it a 64 bit file by chance? I downloaded the file that Mark (thanks!) sent over, but can't open it in Photoshop or illustrator. Any chance you could save it as a Adobe file Thom?
No 64 bit file, and sorry, no AI export available. Actually SVG is just plain text, you can open it in Notepad or TextEdit. 8-)

When your Operating System doesn't support SVG, you can always right click the link (sorry, Mac OS users; ) and select Save As. Some graphic programs do support SVG but don't register the extension in the OS. Saving the file to disk and opening the SVG from within your graphics program is the best way to test that. :idea:

Another way would be to install Inkscape on your computer, which is freeware and available for Linux, Windows and Mac. If you're familiar with Adobe Illustrator or the likes, you'll figure out Inkscape in no-time, else the online support community is immense. :thumbup:

And for you lemmings that refuse to go the OSS way, I've put up two files, PNG & PDF. But hurry, I will not tolerate inferior file formats on my server that long. :twisted: :roflmao

spook

Post by spook »

thanks Thom, looks good. I will scale it and let you know how it looks in relation to OW and TZ. Cheers.

spook

Post by spook »

I had a go at scaling with a pdf file in Photoshop, but that was a not so good as it rastered up. I'm downloading ink-scape and will have a look at scaling the SVG through it. Sorry about the delay with this, I sort of forgot.

Hooligan
Site Admin

Post by Hooligan »

photshop won't scale a raster based image very well unless you import and convert at a particular setting. you're better off using a raster based software package like illustrator.
1994 YZF750-R
1996 YZF750-R
2003 Bonneville T100

MsHap
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by MsHap »

i can do the vinyl if anyone needs any of that and the format does not matter.
My Name is Chrissy
This is Jello

"A total lack of self peservation is good for about another 30HP" Confusious