New, 10 yrs, 20 yrs

Got something you want to say but don't know where else to say it? This is the spot to post it!
stan
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

New, 10 yrs, 20 yrs

Post by stan »

I have some choices to make. Buy something new, which i've never done. Buy something 10 yrs old with 15-20k km on it, it won't break the bank, parts are plentyfull, with a reasonable choice of bikes to pick from. Buy old school, maybe early 1990's superbike-ish, is old technology compared to the other choices, but will still go fast enough, and it's something i can have a play with....

The New: Yamaha FZ8. Not a 600, not as expensive as an FZ1. Is built to a price, with no adjustable front suspension, but looks the goods, and more than enough mumbo to get me to work..$12,000 ish (Finance)

10 Yrs; 2002 R1, 1st of the injected motors, handles well, looks great, and can still be found with reasonably low Km on them..$6-7000

20 yrs; Maybe an nice mid 90's YZF750, but hard to find a nice on here in Oz, early ZXR750, always liked them, and with a little bit of work, are still a very capable ride...$2-3500

Let me know what you all think

Stan
Motorcycling, it's a participation sport!!

Big Jon
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Re: New, 10 yrs, 20 yrs

Post by Big Jon »

How about a new old stock FZ1 for just under the ten mark, shipping may add too much however! :lol:

An R1 doesn't fit me, so I wouldn't go that way myself, the yzf750 handled great but I'd miss the power and never really got on with the looks.

I think I would end up looking for something comfy like a Blackbird but better handling, sporting like a GSXR but more comfortable, and just to make it interesting, make it more rare than any of the aforementioned. Oh, look, I gots one o' them! :roll:

kiwi60
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by kiwi60 »

Gidday Stan,

Well, I bought a new SV1000S in 2005, not my first new bike, but the first one since 1982!!!, and I loved picking the bike up from the shop knowing that no one else had owned it and I could run it in the way I wanted.
After 7 years and 35,000km I sold it last month and have picked up another FZR750 for $1500. It's rough but I'll build exactly what I want it to be.
So which experience was better - new or used - both the same in my book and with positives and negitives for both.
With a new bike you get what the factory wants you to have, and then YOU WILL start spending $$$ to get it the way you want.
With the used bike there will probably be mods that you may or may not like, and YOU WILL start spending $$$ to get it the way you want.
I'm not sure I'll ever buy another new bike cause I just love modding bikes so much (you should see the machinery in the garage now!!!), and it makes better sense for me to buy low, trick up and have some fun.
All your options are valid, but which one is right - well, let us know :D
“I venture not to cross that finish line in a neat, tidy well ordered bundle, but to slide across it sideways in a shower of spark’s, leaking oil, hissing steam shouting ..Geronimo !!!!! “

2005 SV996R SOLD
1988 FZR750/1040 race bike SOLD
1988 FZR750/1000 - the next project CHANGING THE LOOK AGAIN, BUT STILL ON THE ROAD
Now he's got a KAWASAKI!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nope - Sold that one too
Dang - he’s got a Triumph now :o

sickle44
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by sickle44 »

FZ-1 definitely over an FZ-8, although they don't have quite enough of the sporting chassis for my personal taste, great on the highway and with enough tweaking, a more sporting position could definitely be had.

For me, it'd be that or the way old school, course; only dude who can tell you what to do is you though Stan.
Michael
Yes Yes I know, I said, I'm building a project YZF1070

Basement is done now, 850 finished and gone...
Gotta get the new siding up on the house.
Fixing the FZ1 up, cleaning up garage and then I might even begin

stan
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by stan »

This of course is a fantastic problem to have, and i appreciate the comments. As a community of people who like older style bikes, i guess at some point we all might ask the same Q'n. A new bike is not for all of us, as for some of as the love for old school runs deep

The more i ponder the questions, the more the middle ground shifts. I feel now the 2000-02 bike option is a sit on the fence, this choice is coming down to new, 2008 onward, or old school.

i have found a nice unmolested 91 zxr 750, in Blue/black, with 50K on the clock for a reasonable price. I liked them back in the day, and i still like the look of them.
Have also found a nicely fettled 08 FZ1 with 11k on the clock, price is in the ball park, but i also need some new riding gear, so we will see :popcorn :popcorn

stan

spook
Dolphin-headed purple plasma TLR thing?

Post by spook »

kiwi60 wrote:last month and have picked up another FZR750 for $1500. It's rough but I'll build exactly what I want it to be. :D
Now what was i saying just the other week Stan?

FZRDude
Co-Admin

Post by FZRDude »

Call me a traitor, but I'd go for the ZX7R (if it is a ZXR and not the knock-off ZX750.......)
There are some who call me........Tim?
In Memory Of John "Silver" Douglas (Dec. 08, 2008) R.I.P. My Friend.

:wave: :popcorn :cursing :super-mad

sickle44
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by sickle44 »

Hey Tim,you Traitor! LOL

My money would be on the 08 FZ-1 Stan, althouth maybe you'd like to wait a couple more years when the FZ-1 receives the staggered crank pin setup, if ever. That'd be fun! Myself, for the last few years, I've been buying all sorts of fun hop up goodies to turn my 92 1000, into a 750Framed 1070 yamamonster, whilst riding an 03 FZ-1. I like the FZ-1 alot but when I want to crank up the dial, I'm just not as comfortable in it as I ever was in my FZR. I really like the look of the newer FZ-1's and with injection, all of your carbetution greif is gone.
Michael

spook

Post by spook »

You could save up for the new 3 cylinder crossplane R1?

sickle44
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by sickle44 »

3 cylinder?

WTH??

Having scene that bit of news yet?
Michael

stan
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by stan »

going to have a look at a ZXR750 on Sunday.....

It's oldschool by a nose....

stan

stan
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by stan »

And the winner is...................................

an 03' CBR 954, 35K km, Erion racing black/red. Please don't hate me. I went for a ride on an 02' R1 and it felt like my old FZR, just hit with the shrinko ray gun, it just didn't fit me at all, the FZ1 felt like a had a pole up my clacker and the old school ZXR 750 ended up being exactly that, old school....

Lets face it, i'm in my mid 40's so my days of riding sports bikes as my sole mode of transport are coming to end. Not tomorrow, but i'm not 25 any more either, so the CBR will be a good trade in on a VFR 800!!!!

Pics to follow
stan

sickle44
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by sickle44 »

Well Stan,

I can't says I think you chose correctly, 'specially cause with a little fixin', I know the FZ-1 can work real well, although I'd prefer an 06 and up to my 03. That said, were I to ever own a Honda, a 954 would be one of my choices, nice machine for sure. Hope you'll still grace us with your presence despite the.... yeah well.

Cheers
Michael

spook

Post by spook »

He's gone to the dark side... :cheers

stan
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by stan »

Would perfer the dark side to the Green side :wave:

stan

kiwi60
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by kiwi60 »

Sounds like you've got a good bike there stan, how 'bout those pic's :thumbup:
“I venture not to cross that finish line in a neat, tidy well ordered bundle, but to slide across it sideways in a shower of spark’s, leaking oil, hissing steam shouting ..Geronimo !!!!! “

2005 SV996R SOLD
1988 FZR750/1000 - the next project CHANGING THE LOOK AGAIN, BUT STILL ON THE ROAD

spook

Post by spook »

Here's the ZX14R Ninja...

I'm still a faithful Yamaha guy:

Big Jon
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by Big Jon »

i Read a couple write ups on the 14, better than 30 pounds can be lost with a couple nice carbon fibre TBR slip ons. Gives a nice sound to an incredibly quiet bike. A bike like that should somehow sound like more than a chain and sprockets whipping by. :D

kiwi60
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by kiwi60 »

Here's the ZX14R Ninja...
Bloody hell spook, when did taht turn up? :o

2005 SV996R SOLD

spook

Post by spook »

Today... :drool:

It arrived down from Kawasaki Australia's Race Teams headquarters. It's had most of the modifications done (including ECU flash) to qualify for Production Class in Land Speed Racing at Speed Week at SA's Lake Gairdner next week. We are making an attempt on 200+mph... Should be fun. We will have gearing for 356kph. (Thanks BJ found a company for the 37 rear)

We have to give it back afterwards though...