Galant VR4 build 125/2000

Got something you want to say but don't know where else to say it? This is the spot to post it!
McFizzer
Veteran Poster

Galant VR4 build 125/2000

Post by McFizzer »

Okay so while I don't have a yamaha currently to showcase, let's fast forward to now and what I own as for my cage ;)

Her name, is Jillian. I bought her up in Long Island, New York from a youn kid, overpaid for her and spent countless dollars to have who I thought was a friend/shop owner do work on her as I didn't have the space. Which in the long run caused me a lot of money, being over charged and taken advantage of and ending a friendship where I helped him do a lot of carpentry work in his shop and showed him the ropes on some on my trade and what I've learned... Enough of that, lets get to Jill.

She's a 1991 Mitsubishi galant vr4. Used for WRC racing it is a homogolation car much like the OW series. Whilst some of the world received them in more the US only saw 3000. 2000 in 91 and 1000 in 92. Most people calm it a DSM, but they are wrong. It's a MMC vehicle. Originally awd 4ws 16 valve DOHC turbocharged inline 4... What a great platform :) ... When something doesn't break :/

My current list of car mods are as so

Evo 3 Big 16g turbo
3" turbo back exhaust
Megan o2 housing
6 puck clutch, Ali flywheel
Crower springs, retainers and valves
Decked head
550cc inj
Forced performance hard intake pipe and filter
ETS front mount kit
Real greddy type S BOV
Slew of automated gauges(boost,oil pressure,volts)
Walbro 255 pump
Running a speed density set up through a shit HKS VPC unit, soon to be DSMlink
H&R springs on KYB struts(I want BC coilovers)
Knock off CE28 rims. Made by maxxium. I hate knock offs but the car came with them.
Aero motive adjustable FPR. SS lines.

Ahh yeah, I think that's all off the top of my head right now.

She is a sunroof car. And to top it has basically NO rust, except for a tiny bit on the sunroof itself that you can see only when opening it.

Here she is:
-Anthony-
::1992 FZR 1000::
Under construction at the moment.

McFizzer
Veteran Poster

Re: Galant VR4 build 125/2000

Post by McFizzer »

For some reason on my phone the pictures look cut off...

Okay so history on 125, while driving her home the first day, I got a boost leak at the waste gate because the nipple was broken and held on by rtv. Shit was hacked. Next to go was the shitty COP set up that was on and back to stock we went!

I had no clue but the PO had an external oil cooler hooked up. SWEET RIGHT??! ... Well not really... I was driving home from work one day and shift 2nd, car feels weird.. Drive for a half mile, look down and no oil pressure !! :| so I pull her over and there's oil pissing out from under the car.. Have her towed home and find to reason... This retard went off the Oil filter housing with soft lines on metal that wasn't even flared to try and hold it on!! So the hose clamps had nothing to bite on!!

So I clean her up, oil cooler, etc and put oil in, prime the system and I head a knock? Alright I understand because it lost oil. Should go away.. It did, alright let me drive to my parents.. Get there and the motor locks up right outside...

There goes my built bottem end(Manley turbo buff I beam rods and forged CP pistons...)
Okay so I let my friend do the work on her, we went with just buying a Jdm motor from an engine importer in NJ
Out with the old
In with the sorta new(after all my "good" parts where thrown on)

So we have her started and I take it for a spin around his shops street. I do a little pull from 2nd- 3rd on 14 psi(I was runnin 23lbs) and shifted at around 5k.. Seemed way laggy for a 16g on that boost. So I bring her back to the door. And we hear almost like a miss..... -_-

Cylinder 1 is only at 60psi of a compression test. He does a leak down test the day after and it "showed" a leakage coming from cylinder 1... I think he was full of shit. Could've been just an old stem seal that needed loosened up with ATF fluid.

So we go ahead and send my head from my built motor out... His machinist say the head is garbage... I still beg to differ as I have it in my parts bins.. Anywho we send the head off the JDM motor to get decked and reassembled.

I was helping him with the T belt on one of the last days of my car being at the shop and me being hands on wanted to do shit even at this moment of me giving him 1600 for the engine swap and an additional 1600 for the head and various other bits..so he says yeah keep tension on this pry bar so I can set the adjuster on the t-belt... Well shit I never did a T belt on my car before so I just shut up and went with it..

After we get the car assembled. I fire her up.. She goes right over... After I bought a new battery for it...

I stop and we look, the timing belt is pulling to the outside drivers fender side and was getting WAY hot... THE TENSIONER pulley froze .... Fucking really?!

So after this he says to me that my car has overstayed it's welcome there at the shop and he's simply not "making money" with it being there... Oh so you're just gonna throw the towel in when I've given you damn near 4grand ??! What an asshole. Then had the nerve to charge me l tow it back to my house.. Fuckin jerkoff.

So I tackled the timing job myself. What a breeze, I can do it in my sleep now. Only problem that came to haunt me is not having a pulley tensioner tool(which I have now ordered) as after a day the belt would become loose and lose tension. After two used tensioners. I've got another good one I plan on putting on once my tools come. I don't think the pulley was getting the right amount of torque as loosening up after a day...

Good thing my alternator shit the bed going to school or I would've probably lost a head and been even more pissed.

So as I sit not, I'm waiting on my tools. And then it's off to install a good spare alternator I had off my built block, along with a new tensioner and pulley.

Then I've got to remove stripped lug nuts off the passenger side, replace the inner seals on the axle that started leaking and I should be set.

I hate this tuning crap it came with and will be selling it to some supra or 3000gt guys. Ill be picking up DSMlink and tune this bitch right :)

Thank you for reading... If you still are lol

Ant
-Anthony-
::1992 FZR 1000::
Under construction at the moment.

sickle44
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Re: Galant VR4 build 125/2000

Post by sickle44 »

Looks great Anthony,

I'll give it a read when I've got a few minutes. Great cars for sure, my only wish is that they would have given the motor a 90degree spin and ran a shaft down the middle if you know what I mean.
Michael
Yes Yes I know, I said, I'm building a project YZF1070

Basement is done now, 850 finished and gone...
Gotta get the new siding up on the house.
Fixing the FZ1 up, cleaning up garage and then I might even begin