Bimota YB4EI v OW01 'Race Relations'

Got something you want to say but don't know where else to say it? This is the spot to post it!
spook
Dolphin-headed purple plasma TLR thing?

Bimota YB4EI v OW01 'Race Relations'

Post by spook »

Here is a comparison by superbike magazine of my two favorite bikes! :drool:

sickle44
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Re: Bimota YB4EI v OW01 'Race Relations'

Post by sickle44 »

I'll read the rest of the article later, but a good one nonetheless. My only comment on their question, how can a little Italian company contest with a big Japanese giant, well they did allude to it in the article, but, simply stuff the big japanese giant's motor into your sweet lightened and stiffened chassis.
Michael
Yes Yes I know, I said, I'm building a project YZF1070

Basement is done now, 850 finished and gone...
Gotta get the new siding up on the house.
Fixing the FZ1 up, cleaning up garage and then I might even begin

spook
Dolphin-headed purple plasma TLR thing?

Re: Bimota YB4EI v OW01 'Race Relations'

Post by spook »

sickle44 wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:43 pm
My only comment on their question, how can a little Italian company contest with a big Japanese giant, well they did allude to it in the article, but, simply stuff the big japanese giant's motor into your sweet lightened and stiffened chassis.
Yep that was the idea! Bimota essentially invented the aluminium spar chassis with the YB4. Yhe chassis is still a thing of beauty even today.

Yamaha flogged the idea and used it on the 87-88 genesis FZR750-1000, and the OW01 a year later. The motor in the YB4 was a fuel injected FZ750 engine, in comparison the OW01 was the factory TT racer donk.

The 87-88 FZR750 was actually a homologation special, with better forks, longer harder chrome moly conrods, lighter pistons and close ratio gearbox standard. And a decent race kit you could purchase.