Other operating systems

Got something you want to say but don't know where else to say it? This is the spot to post it!
MrFluffy
New Poster

multimedia

Post by MrFluffy »

Hmm guys, most distro's should handle multimedia perfectly. I mostly use fedora core (more open product from redhat/the community) because it just seems to mostly work out the box, but I have a anchient slackware db server a debian box, a freebsd box, and solaris on my sparc's.. Im posting from my "desktop" linux box in the shed, which has flash, java, macromedia etc in firefox, can handle almost any sort of media files, and when I plug the camera card reader in just pops up a explorer dialogue for me to copy the files off it. My day to day work laptop runs fedora core too (wife was not amused when in first day of ownership from new, job 1 invalidate warentee and replace the entire operating system, oh look the wifi card security works properly now) , the only thing that bugs me of note about it is the way they strip out mp3 playback from xmms because of patent issues (mp3 codec is patented!) but thats two commands to replace the real version, its in the fedora core howto..
The last word in being able to play anything movie/clip wise has to be mplayer, although xine is pretty good for menu's too. And for music files, there is the mighty xmms, which can handle mp3, ogg (unlike windows media player unless they finally fixed it!), wma, wav, whatever you like..
I love linux, been using it for at least 6 years already,in fact tommorow my wife's parents are migrating to it because I can lock it down to just do mail and web and make it so they cant harm it, yeah I know you can do this with xp and admin priviledges, but its what I know right? I forked from windows after the debacle that was 98/nt4 and only briefly toedipped with windows ME, no wonder Im put off. Even my console runs linux (xbox running Xfedora, and another running xebian)..
The xboxes are actually front ends for my media centers (using mythtv) and sit on our projector and bedroom tv's so we dont have to have "proper" computers in there, and I use them to watch live tv (capture cards are in a monster box hooked up to the satelite dishes), general pvr frontend, access my video collection (its shared with nfs, listen to the cheer from the solaris crowd), access all my music, pictures, weather reports, news sites (bbc, slashdot ;) ), run camera phones, play and rip dvd's etc, you dont get more media based than that..
And our house runs 24/7 on a old p200 laptop with a dead screen, it watches a dallas ds1820 sensor network spread through the house and switches the actuators for each room according to as if its at the correct temp or not, and we can set each room temp on a 30 min resolution and it can control our lights too, has a neat little web interface so it doesnt scare visitors with any command line stuff if they need to alter something. All homebrewed from lumps we already had and some ingenuety. Its just under 3 years uptime at the moment with no reboots or fallovers. Thats what linux really allows, sure itll work fine as just a dumb windows replacement but when your ready (if you ever get that ready) you can lift the hood and tinker with the innards just as much as you want. It wont hide stuff and I find it lets my creativity out too.I do have a xp machine, so I can use it to run autocad/solidworks natively, its just too much of a monster to use vmware or the like (virtual machine software) and Im not a os snob since sometimes clients insist because of corporate policy we have to use a certain type of machine (hire consultants then tell them how to work, not good).
For walking round the house I use a ipaq... Reflashed with the familiar distro of linux of course :p Id love one of them tablet pc's your talking about, just so long as I could get rid of the original operating system that is :)
I should offer the disclaimer that Im a programmer/infrastructure engineer with unix and routers etc by trade so much is second nature now, but it wasnt always that way. Only way you'll learn..
Home of a used and abused 1992 YB8 bimota, lovely in camo paint, just follow the other bimotsi's tears trail in the car park...

jjs777
Co-Admin

Post by jjs777 »

lol

now that I read your post mrfluffy I dont think youll need my help with that pm you sent me re:ezconvert

maybe you can help me