\*** Helmet Choice ***/

Got something you want to say but don't know where else to say it? This is the spot to post it!
KontoBoy
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by KontoBoy »

Jeez--what a collection!

I'm up to four helmets, a couple street and a couple track. My honey tells me that's three more than my head needs.

Kontoboy

jjs777
Co-Admin

Post by jjs777 »

which one is it ?

gane
Veteran Poster

Post by gane »

Lots of choices, fortunatly, as there's lots of diffent gourd shapes out there. find a lid that meets current snell rating and fits your' mellon. when fitting , I recommend a couple criteria. 1st, helmet should be snug w/good contact area around head & cheeks without pressure points or trying to re-locate ears.(too tight & helmet will try to lift off of top of head, and ear pressure will be uncomforable shortly) a good fit will allow only about an inch of movement at tip of nose side to side when holding helmet and moving head side to side. while on noses, allow a fingers clearance to whatever, (mine's oversize, and a consideration.) next quality of shields and eye opening. after helmet stability and comfort, visual clarity is one of the biggies, then wind noise, and finally cosmetics. on rides over an hour or so I generally use ear-plugs. 'til you try 'em you won't believe the difference they make in fatigue. the best helmet is the one you wear 'cause you want to, as it protects, extends comfortable riding time and if properly fitted becomes no more noticible than yer' socks. I wear Shoie when roadracing. Arai for street and HJC for dirt. The Shoie is relitivly cheap,provides excellent security/contact, and I hardly notice it when otherwise occupied tho leaves imprints between races from jaw to cheek. Arai is heavy but comfortable all day long, HJC is comfortable and LIGHT while being secure enough not to move goggles around wilst mx'ing. whatever you wear. wear it well. and enjoy. G
G
"just because You think everyone's against you, it only means your' paranoid. " not that your' wrong."

Hooligan
Site Admin

Post by Hooligan »

gane, good post. the only item i disagree with is the need for a snell rating. there has been lots of discussion recently regarding the rating and the methods used to achieve the certification and i just don't think it's a good rating system. the european BSI 6658 standard makes much more sense to me.
Jason, aka: Hooligan
1994 YZF750-R
1996 YZF750-R
2003 Bonneville T100