House Addition Project 2006

Got something you want to say but don't know where else to say it? This is the spot to post it!
RUFtech
Veteran Poster

Post by RUFtech »

Man, so sorry for the pain you are going through. Hope you get well soon.
Isn't this like the second time you fell during the build? That is the reason I quit construction work. I fell once and it ain't fun. Now I build cars for a living. I don't fall off of them.

By the way the house looks great.
Bob
'97 YZF750R (sold)
'87 Porsche 944 Turbo
'04 GTO
If you haven't seen god your not going fast enough

Nbot
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by Nbot »

John,
Man,,,,last time I was on here, you were just starting w/ the planning for this project, now (487 pics later;) you're almost there....neat photo montage......sorry about the fall, how is the spine (the rest should head allright)....my wife broke her scapula riding dirtbikes w/ me, it caused all sorts of other muscle trauma as it healed (TMJ, neck/shoulder muscles), been going to muscle therapists and some chirorpractors (there's a world of theories out there on chiropractic practices, we're into people that do "structural bodywork", which emphasizes the "facia" or connective muscle tissue from your muscles to bones and skin....and muscle work more than we are into just 'bone-popping" chiro's....drop me a line if you want some more info if you need to look for something like that...).

House looks good...one thing I'm sure you are going to be enjoying is the new electrical work on your house, since your into computers....no more brown outs for you!

Nichole and I bought a cute lil farm house in Madison, 5 mins from downtown, they guy before us was a Mac programmer, so he had had the electrical redone to 200 amp, and had GFCI's thru most of the house, and had Cat5 and coaxial wired thru the house, which is awesome for networking here.....not to late to add some in your self if you were'nt already planning on it?
Can anyone give me advice on how to create a sig? I can't for the life of me figure out how to do one.
~94 Fizzer Thou

jjs777
Co-Admin

Post by jjs777 »

thanks nathan for the reply -
sorry to hear! about your wifes woes

yeah I'm healing...

the house sounds cool! yeah wiring will be something I enjoy for cat5 and catv etc - I'll also be running 3 or 4 inch pvc thorugh the different floors to aid wire chasing in the future

Nbot
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by Nbot »

I sorta figured you'd be all over the wiring;)

we're painting the dining room....my dad was a contractor, and uncle, so I've painted plenty....just reminds me how tough it is to do it right....and how much I need beer to get thru it all.....
Can anyone give me advice on how to create a sig? I can't for the life of me figure out how to do one.
~94 Fizzer Thou

jjs777
Co-Admin

Post by jjs777 »

status update **

plumbing 90% complete - they will tie in to main line tomorrow

electrical contractor hired and contract signed - to install wiring for 2500sq/ft addition - start date 02/26/07

Heat for addition -

My house currently has a 75k BTU for a small 2 bedroom dwelling.
But it is undersized for my old + new dwelling.

Found the exact same model gas fired hydronic boiler on ebay - a 100kbtu unit which should fit my heating requirments - cost ? $394
Yes I got very lucky on this one - it is used however crossing fingers it all works! Even if I have to replace a few parts for maintenance it is still under the $2000 new selling price.

AC (cooling)

Just picked up a 2 Ton Central AC new unit off ebay - Mfg by Goodman.
Its not Carrier but for $999 I grabbed it from a reputable seller.
Compared to installed costs of $5k I think I can get this unit hooked up and wired without tremendous difficulty. DONT DO INSTALLATIONS WITHOUT A CERTIFIED CONTRACTOR.
Ok sure...and after I'm done I'll think about that line.

Ahhh...whats even better is this Central AC inlcudes the optional Heating element for winter heating - I know its costly electric heat but perhaps just perfect for supplemental heat.

As for the boiler my unit currenlty is just one zone without zone valves. Again - DO NOT ATTEMPT INSTALLATION WITHOUT CERTIFIED HEATING/PLUMBING CONTRACTOR.

Okay...my original quote for new baseboard and new gas fired boiler was $28k. let me write that....Twenty Eight Thousand Dollars. After I picked myself off the floor from laughing so hard I figure I can set my copper baseboard as good as any plumber and test for leaks with water :)

The only thing I am studying is the elcectricla diagrams for dang taco zone valves for the boiler. And adding a transformer to power the taco's.

My dads house has 3 zones with tacos so I'll be studying the general layout of his and copying it.

jjs777
Co-Admin

Post by jjs777 »

update -

plumbing - still waiting for inspector

electrical - work is 90% done - they started on monday and had today off - will be back next week then inspection time

jjs777
Co-Admin

Post by jjs777 »

we had good rains today - unfortunately the ground is frozen so no where for water to go

my bikes and coreys bike is in the shed - floating I hope

oh and the guy two houses to the right of me (in the pics his yard is now flooded) - he doesnt know I had a sump pump running (yellow hose) heading his way

ehh...I figure share the wealth :)

RUFtech
Veteran Poster

Post by RUFtech »

I think it is time for a little dirt to raise the back yard up a few feet. That or just dig it deeper and pour some concrete for a swiming pool.
Bob
'97 YZF750R (sold)
'87 Porsche 944 Turbo
'04 GTO
If you haven't seen god your not going fast enough

FZRDude
Co-Admin

Post by FZRDude »

Dang
There are some who call me........Tim?
In Memory Of John "Silver" Douglas (Dec. 08, 2008) R.I.P. My Friend.

:wave: :popcorn :cursing :super-mad

stonehopr
New Poster

Post by stonehopr »

you can see the water line on the bottom 3 inches of the rotors. no major damage to the bikes.....JOhn lost some electrical equip though. that was friday.....now it's tues and 3 degrees out. wtf?????
-Blue/Silver 2000 YZF 600R

"I am white because sun does not go through leather riding jackets bitch!"

jjs777
Co-Admin

Post by jjs777 »

rough electrical work is complete and inspector signed off on the work

STILL waiting for plumber to show up and get the work inspected - hope nothing happened to the fella _ I been calling but no return calls. I asked a buddy who is a licensed plumber he said get the inspector after him - may rattle his cage as it is not uncommon. But I dont want to get the plumber peeved at me - afterall he was doinbg me a favor at discounted rates. But now this is holding me up from going further.

Always headaches.

6 person jacuzzi delivered last week (couple hours before 8-10 inches of new snow!) - they almost dropped it off the back of the truck - and I was ready to throw myself under the dang thing to save it

jacuzzi is a 50amp 4 wire gfci .....

I sourced the big gfci from ebay - my electrical contractor said whoah its gonna cost near 200 bucks - I said whoah lemme check
bought a brandnew unit from ebay 29 bucks free shipping
ebay is good for many things

I was planning on putting this thing inside my house but now second thoughts - I'd rather keep it outside for fear of chlorine/bromine smell etc etc and splashing whatnot w/kids. Will cost more to heat - spa owners in colder climates report at worse electric bill will go up 50-100 bucks but perhaps worth it for the remainder of the year when better weather prevails. I will have to get a cabana or something as a sunblock so the water doesnt go 150F or hotter :)

barneyfzr600
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by barneyfzr600 »

John, u need 2 move 2 the BAY AREA CALIFORNIA!
Woot, I had a FZR1K.................now I got a '02 R1, but still lookin for the right EXUP......

jjs777
Co-Admin

Post by jjs777 »

barney in the northeast you have about 6 months of nice weather
---if i moved to bay area...

what would I do when gaining another 3-4 months of nice weather ?

jjs777
Co-Admin

Post by jjs777 »

Finally got hold of the plumber after almost 30 days mia - he said he was on vaca - should be here saturday to finish up then call inspector next week - we'll see

All this past wknd I dug out my jacuzzi location outside - 30 or more full wheel barrels of dirt later and i'm almost done - then I'll pour some cement for a base (with a 2 inch thick layer of foam board first)

ouch my back

jjs777
Co-Admin

hyrdronic heating design

Post by jjs777 »

Well - I been reading up on flow-gpm-head-btu's which all adds up to me designing my own hydronic baseboard heating system for the house addition.

Heres my layout-->

I have about 80 feet of baseboard as part of the old structure.

The new structure is 4 levels.

Family Room (Basement) = 25*25=12,656 btus = 22ft baseboard
First Floor (dining rm) = 26*16=19656 btus = 34ft baseboard
First Floor (sun rm) = 21*9 7654 btus = 13ft baseboard

Second Fl
Master Bedroom = 18*12=6220 btus = 11ft baseboard
Bedroom 1 = 13.5*11.5=5216 btus = 9.0ft baseboard
Bedroom 2 = 16*10=5376 btus = 9.2ft baseboard

Third Fl
Loft = 14*35=

My current gas fired boiler is 75k input btus and 62k output
My new gas fired boiler is 100k input btus and 82k output

Each floor will be its own heating zone.

The only real question here is to zone with circulator pumps or with valves.
You see when zoning with valves you operate with just one maybe two pumps. Then valves open and close upon temp requirement.

Zoning with pumps is probably better flow for each zone but costly when running perhaps 4 pumps at once. Its also more costly because pumps cost more.

I have decided to go the route with valves and one pump.

My parts list looks like this...

(4) Taco 571-2 valves
(4) Taco 218 flo check valves
(1) Taco ZVC406-3 zone valve controller
(1) bell & gosset circuit setter (balance valve)
(4) Honeywell Digital Programmable Thermostats RTH230B
(1) Taco 007 exisiting

Since I've never done this before I have setup a test environement to see how things work and checking voltages at key points to see whats really going on. I must admit the taco zvc 406 is the best thing since sliced bread - if you dont know what one is then you owe it to yourself to check them out online. It beats having a bunch of honeywell relays and transformers everywhere plus it adds neat lights so you know EXACTLY whats happening in the system. When a termo calls for heat - it energizes that zone valve and the light goes from yellow then to red once fully engaged (open). I bought the unit that allows for 6 zones. Also a real nice feature is it allows you to prioritize one zone whereby all other zones would be closed until the priority zone is temp satisfied.

My conccern here is that my existing circulator wont meet the demand when 4 zones are working on it. But if necessary I'll source the next step up.

jjs777
Co-Admin

Post by jjs777 »

I scooped this on ebay for much less than the 800 retail price.
I opted for the 6 circuit version for future expansion / radiant flooring.

http://www.rehau-na.com/construction/he ... olds.shtml

These things seem to have gotten real popular with radiant floor installations but will work with convention hyrdronic baseboard heat.

The 1" manifolds offer 16gpm total flow and up to 2gpm/circuit.

Given that baseboard requires a std flow of 1GPM/180 degree flow to achieve claimed ntu/hr this works out well.

Whats nice is they include thermomemters for supply and return piping, flow gauges per circuit, and adjustable flow per circuit.

I will run PEX-A directly from this manifold to each zone where I then use the pex/copper adapter to make the baseboard connections.

I intend to make this a neat installation.

I was contemplating sourcing vdo gauges for water/pressure/flow with leds etc....thankfully only contemplated for a few minutes. :banana :banana :banana

jjs777
Co-Admin

Post by jjs777 »

jjs777
Co-Admin

Post by jjs777 »

update on hvac (central ac)

I have the compressor unit sitting outside and electrically wired with thermostat wires run already.

I have the air handler sitting in my 3rd floor and that is electrically wired with thermostat wires run.

I have the copper suction and pickup lines - not installed yet.
I already have about 75 feet of flexible ducting 8"

I got a quote from a firend of mines brother - who does this for a living.

The work they would do is

install flexible ducting for three rooms and run the return line
they would install the copper line between compressor and air handler
they would startup system

Oh and they need to bring the plenum for both return and supply at the air handler - likley about 100 bucks in sheet metal

I figure about a day of work (contractor style...so about 4 hours)

The quote ?

$2100

BWAHHHH HA HA HA HA HAH HA!

Okay...I will get at least one more quote.

Otherwise I will read a couple internet how-to's and DIY guides and save nearly 2k

jjs777
Co-Admin

Post by jjs777 »

hot tub placement will be to the left of its currnt position

30 or so wheel barrel fulls of back breaking dirt and I'm almost done

then I will do the base

not sure if crushed stone and pavers or just concrete with pavers over it

jjs777
Co-Admin

Post by jjs777 »

05/17/07 - plumbing inspector signs off on rough work
05/19/07 - building inspector signs off on structure