Passed emissions

Got something you want to say but don't know where else to say it? This is the spot to post it!
djalbin
Smilies Run Amok

Passed emissions

Post by djalbin »

Blog starts here.

Yeah ... passed emissions test :banana
Normally this is a routine no big deal event. But this year was different because (I'm embarrassed to say) I have not rode the bike since May. That's 4 months without riding; an eternity for someone who normally rides 12 months of the year. Was not planning to be away from it that long, so other than some additive in the gas no prep for storage was performed. Other than needing to do a quick charge on the battery it started without any problems (other than having to use full choke in 97 degF weather). Sputtered a little at first but smoothed out and away I went to the emissions test station ... expecting it to fail.
It passed, and I didn't even fall down while riding it :roll:
(another plus after not riding for so long).
So with emissions done the bike is registered to ride for another year. Good thing too since the registration is due in September and September is almost over (ok, so I may have procrastinated a little).

I think I'll take the bike on a Mt. Lemmon ride tomorrow and blow the remaining cobwebs out of it before it goes in for it's 26K mile maintenance (valve clearance adjustment, etc ...)

Blog ends here.

Don

FZRDude
Co-Admin

Post by FZRDude »

Thanks for the reminder Don, I got to get tags for the cage tomorrow.
There are some who call me........Tim?
In Memory Of John "Silver" Douglas (Dec. 08, 2008) R.I.P. My Friend.

:wave: :popcorn :cursing :super-mad

djalbin
Smilies Run Amok

Post by djalbin »

Blog ON:
Took the bike for a ride up Mt. Lemmon. Nice day for a ride but I forgot they're having Oktoberfest up there at Summerhaven. So the ride up was leisurely as I followed the perpetual parade of cars. Since everyone was staying up there for Oktoberfest, I had a clear road and a nice spirited ride coming down. No cops :D The only downside is the damage from this year's monsoon rains. A few rockslide areas washed out the road and they are having to repair them. A couple of my favorite curves have new blacktop that is rough and bumpy (forget the full lean and speed through these now :| ). One section is still one lane so you have to stop and then go when there's no oncoming traffic.
After a 4 month absence it was a great ride. The bike seemed a little down on power yesterday (after starting it up for the first time) but after today's ride it is responsive and back to full power :banana

Blog OFF:

Don

FZRDude
Co-Admin

Post by FZRDude »

WOOT!
There are some who call me........Tim?
In Memory Of John "Silver" Douglas (Dec. 08, 2008) R.I.P. My Friend.

:wave: :popcorn :cursing :super-mad

hotcam
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by hotcam »

The bike seemed a little down on power yesterday (after starting it up for the first time) but after today's ride it is responsive and back to full power
I blame stale gasoline. Good to hear I'm not the only one who has spent
a couple of months parked, for various reasons.
-------
'95 FZR1040 '09 FZ1-S
"And they had a machine, a dream of a machine, with wheels and gears and perfect in every respect, and they lived on it..." -Stanislaw Lem, "Cyberiad"

exupturbo
Veteran Poster

Post by exupturbo »

Do bikes have to pass emissions tests in the US?
At the moment in the UK only cars have to go through this every year and the year of the vehicle depends on how strict the test is.

Mark

KontoBoy
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by KontoBoy »

Yes and no on emissions testing in the Untied States. Cars and bike and their engines need an emissions certification provided by an accredited testing lab. It's a big deal and pretty complicated procedure since they have to measure various gases and particulates, control for variations in fuel, calibrate and recalibrate everything, and do it to a standard that will withstand regulatory and frequently judicial scrutiny.\

Here is a link to the testing procedures:

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/testproc.htm

Here's the lists of motorcycles/motors certified in 2005:

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/cert/veh-cert/cert-tst/05m.zip

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/cert/veh-cert/c ... esults.xls

Once certified then the bike/motors can sold. In the US "Federal model" the 50 states design and run their own air programs, as long as they meet the minimum Federal requirements. Some states go beyond Fed requirements--that's why you have tighter standards in California.

Under the various state air programs some states do test motorcycle emissions testing. Many do not, including my home state of Virginia.

Kontoboy