Windows Vista

Got something you want to say but don't know where else to say it? This is the spot to post it!
silver
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Windows Vista

Post by silver »

In case anyone's wondering, IT BLOODY ROCKS !!!

dragracer1951
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by dragracer1951 »

Not if you do any Cad or Cam work. Vista does not and is not going to support Open GL graphics. That makes it a dead end for any operating system for me.
Jim

Hey Kid...
Is my tail light still working?

"...you can't tune a motor that's hurt. They run much faster on fuel then they do on aluminum." - Elmer Trett

owdamer
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Re: Windows Vista

Post by owdamer »

silver wrote:In case anyone's wondering, IT BLOODY ROCKS !!!
I'll take your word for it.
I only upgraded to XP last weekend, been using winME for the last 6 years.
1994 YZF750R
Bluish White Cocktail.
Getting older by the day.

wslonger
Veteran Poster

Post by wslonger »

It may work great now but wait untill things start getting added to your system software or hardware and these guys show up Image

HptK
New Poster

Post by HptK »

wslonger wrote:It may work great now but wait untill things start getting added to your system software or hardware and these guys show up Image
hahahahahahahahahaha
:laughing
Hayden

sickle44
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by sickle44 »

You wouldn't happen to work for MS would you Silver, I haven't known a single MS OS work awesome straight out of the box? The first time I ran XP Home, it was off of the drive within 24hours.
Michael
Yes Yes I know, I said, I'm building a project YZF1070

Basement is done now, 850 finished and gone...
Gotta get the new siding up on the house.
Fixing the FZ1 up, cleaning up garage and then I might even begin

MadHaqr9
Veteran Poster

Post by MadHaqr9 »

I got to play with a laptop pre-loaded with it. Wasn't impressed. It's pretty, but bloated and slow, even on a 1.6 with a gig of ram. I'll stick my good'ol Win2k

YZFRob
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by YZFRob »

Tried teh RC1. Not impressed, especially for the PRICES they want. M$$ (they deserve 2 $'s now since they are overpricing this crap way beyond resonable). With the exception of DX10, Vista is nothing more than XP Pro with fluff and linux style security. I have yet to see anything Vista can do that XP cant.

Hate to say it, but Vista may start pushing people either to Linux or Macs.
YZFRob

FZRDude
Co-Admin

Post by FZRDude »

I still have a 486DX2/80 running DOS 6.22 and Windows 3.11. A lap top that is dying it still trying to run the same.

I have a K6 133mhz running Win95 and a 233mhz running Win98.

Lastly I have a 1.0ghz and a 1.3ghz running XP Home and a 3.06ghz running XP Pro
There are some who call me........Tim?
In Memory Of John "Silver" Douglas (Dec. 08, 2008) R.I.P. My Friend.

:wave: :popcorn :cursing :super-mad

sickle44
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by sickle44 »

Tim, computer geek much? Shit I'm in the industry and don't have that many.

Yeah, I ran the Vista Beta's and like XP home, couldn't get them off of my box fast enough.
Michael

dragracer1951
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by dragracer1951 »

I have eight or nine boxes here in the shop. All networked together through a server....
All XP pro
Ain't gonna change soon I don't think
Jim

Hey Kid...

"...you can't tune a motor that's hurt. They run much faster on fuel then they do on aluminum." - Elmer Trett

sickle44
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by sickle44 »

check out the requirements of this bloddy Pig.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919183

guess that means I won't try it my new to me K6/2 400Mhz box, unfriggen real!!!

And I thought XP was a resource PIG, Holy Shit!!
Michael

FZRDude
Co-Admin

Post by FZRDude »

sickle44 wrote:Tim, computer geek much? Shit I'm in the industry and don't have that many.

I build all of my own computers, ever since my 386SX/12 roasted a capasitor. I keep upgrading bits and peices, well, now I have enough to build another, and so on and so on...

It has now moved on to bikes. I think next (not this) Feb's project is to build a bike with the spares that I have.
There are some who call me........Tim?
In Memory Of John "Silver" Douglas (Dec. 08, 2008) R.I.P. My Friend.

:wave: :popcorn :cursing :super-mad

silver
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by silver »

dragracer1951 wrote:Not if you do any Cad or Cam work. Vista does not and is not going to support Open GL graphics. That makes it a dead end for any operating system for me.
Shouldn't be an issue.

"Native OpenGL Vista support
Catalyst™ 7.1 introduces native support for OpenGL, delivering a number of OpenGL application performance gains over the previously released AMD Vista RTM driver (8.31.100.3.2.1). Future Catalyst™ releases will include further OpenGL optimizations to further enhance performance of Vista OpenGL applications "

silver
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by silver »

wslonger wrote:It may work great now but wait untill things start getting added to your system software or hardware and these guys show up
Heh heh ! Family !

dragracer1951
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by dragracer1951 »

Uh....What's catalyst? Solidworks, Catia, Pro E and Mastercam run poorly without Open GL
So what is it about Vista that is SOOOO much better than XP Pro? Besides being new....
Be specific
Jim

Hey Kid...

silver
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by silver »

dragracer1951 wrote:Uh....What's catalyst? Solidworks, Catia, Pro E and Mastercam run poorly without Open GL
So what is it about Vista that is SOOOO much better than XP Pro? Besides being new....
Be specific
Virtually crash-proof and runs most of my applications much faster. I believe it would help your with CAD as video rendering is vastly improved. Depends upon the application as well though. Some actually performed worse under Vista. Mostly office applications like spreadsheet and such. For Adobe PS7, PaintShop Pro, Easy CD-DA, Forte Agent and the rest of the apps I have installed, they simply run faster and more stable than they did under XP. Not to say that XP wass bad but that Vista is just better.

Catalyst is ATI's driver and display management utility for their video cards and according to that info it runs Open GL natively. I assumed that you are using either a Fire GL or a Quadra. Of course I would check the reviews of your peers prior to installing Vista though you might consider making a dual-boot system. Also I would recommend that your video cards have at least 512MB RAM.

silver
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by silver »

FZRDude wrote:
sickle44 wrote:Tim, computer geek much? Shit I'm in the industry and don't have that many.

I build all of my own computers, ever since my 386SX/12 roasted a capasitor. I keep upgrading bits and peices, well, now I have enough to build another, and so on and so on...

It has now moved on to bikes. I think next (not this) Feb's project is to build a bike with the spares that I have.
I haven't bought a complete system since 1993. That was a 486/DX2 which sucked wind. Currently I'm running a AMD64 3000+ w/1GB GEIL DDR-RAM on a EPoX EP-8PNA SLI motherboard. This pushes 3 X 160GB & 1 X 320GB Seagate drives, DVDRW, ATI X600 video card, M-Audio 2496 sound card along with the onboard RealTek ALC650 audio. All that wrapped up in an Addtronics server tower. She runs cool, quiet and quite dependable.

silver
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by silver »

sickle44 wrote:guess that means I won't try it my new to me K6/2 400Mhz box, unfriggen real!!!
I had a K6/2 500. In 1999 !

silver
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by silver »

FZRDude wrote:I still have a 486DX2/80 running DOS 6.22 and Windows 3.11. A lap top that is dying it still trying to run the same.

I have a K6 133mhz running Win95 and a 233mhz running Win98.

Lastly I have a 1.0ghz and a 1.3ghz running XP Home and a 3.06ghz running XP Pro
It depends on finances of course but my next system is hopefully gonna have an Intel Core2Duo and at least 4GB of RAM.

http://www.intel.com/products/processor ... main+c2duo