Life of Aluminum Frames?

Got something you want to say but don't know where else to say it? This is the spot to post it!
OldYamahaGuy
New Poster

Life of Aluminum Frames?

Post by OldYamahaGuy »

What kind of life can I/we expect from our beloved (aluminum framed) FZRs and YZFs?

All of the old, classic bikes have steel frames which should last practically forever. However, more and more manufacturers are making bike frames with aluminum. Even BMW and Harley are starting to make their frames with aluminum. What kind of life can we expect from these frames? I want to keep my FZR1000 forever; even after I stop riding because it is such an interesting design. But I am always wondering if the aluminum frame will fail after so many miles/years.

I also have an FZR600 which I intend on keeping forever. But since the frame is made of steel I don't worry/think about it as much.

dragracer1951
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by dragracer1951 »

I don't think I'd be too worried about it. I have some old motorcycles from the 30's and the aluminum on them is just fine.
Jim

Hey Kid...
Is my tail light still working?

"...you can't tune a motor that's hurt. They run much faster on fuel then they do on aluminum." - Elmer Trett

YZFRob
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by YZFRob »

Older ones I wouldnt worry about. The new ones over the last couple years I can see them having issues with how thin they make them now and how much stress the high horsepower can dish out to them.
YZFRob

FZRDude
Co-Admin

Post by FZRDude »

Wasn't the GSXR issue with a weld ??
There are some who call me........Tim?
In Memory Of John "Silver" Douglas (Dec. 08, 2008) R.I.P. My Friend.

:wave: :popcorn :cursing :super-mad

hotcam
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by hotcam »

Aluminium frames usually crack for reasons unrelated to age (e.g. stress and corrosion, vibration fatigue, crash damage). Eventually they will become more brittle but we're talking about a matter of 30-50 years before it is even noticeable.
-------
'95 FZR1040 '09 FZ1-S
"And they had a machine, a dream of a machine, with wheels and gears and perfect in every respect, and they lived on it..." -Stanislaw Lem, "Cyberiad"

UnFazed
Regular Poster

Post by UnFazed »

FZRDude wrote:Wasn't the GSXR issue with a weld ??
Yeah, wasn't getting full depth penetration especially in the steering neck area, a few cracked and they pulled others apart and found more. I forget what year that was exactly. 2002-2003? :?

As I recall they made aircraft propellers out of aluminum, as early as the 1930s, and I see a lot of vintage aircraft around here. I'm willing to bet quite a number of those props are original. I'd be more concerned about a hollow steel frame (internal rust) that I would about an aluminum frame. Aluminum only gets surface corrosion and takes a long time to corrode even in the worst acid rain conditions. Aluminum also only gets brittle when flexed, just like any other metal. But being a non-ferrous metal, is not subject to rust or carbon loss like other metals.