Heresy ! - What would YOU do ? - Heresey !

Got something you want to say but don't know where else to say it? This is the spot to post it!
silver
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Heresy ! - What would YOU do ? - Heresey !

Post by silver »

I gott come clean. I'm thinkin' about giving up on the YZF. One of my co-workers is looking for a bike and has made me an offer for it knowing that I still haven't figured out the bug in the ignition or carbs. I can combine his offer with my tax refund and get a 2007 SV1000S and my payments would only be around $100/month. That's for a bike that had 24,K less miles, fuel injection and a full unlimited mileage warranty for the first year. Knowing that I rack up the miles, what would you do ? Honestly I'm just tired of working on things. :oops:

dragracer1951
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by dragracer1951 »

Buy the SV. You'll be delighted
Jim

Hey Kid...
Is my tail light still working?

"...you can't tune a motor that's hurt. They run much faster on fuel then they do on aluminum." - Elmer Trett

FZRDude
Co-Admin

Post by FZRDude »

I "had" said the same thing, but never hit submit while still at the office.
There are some who call me........Tim?
In Memory Of John "Silver" Douglas (Dec. 08, 2008) R.I.P. My Friend.

:wave: :popcorn :cursing :super-mad

silver
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by silver »

Thanks Jim. I definitely appreciate your recommendation. I know you probably understand every facet of that bike but I was wondering have you actually ridden one ? Also it looks like the SV1000S is no longer being sold in North America due to the somewhat shallow market and probably the thin margins resulting from the declining US dollar. It is still being sold in the rest of the world. The only other bikes that holds my interest is the Honda Interceptor (I always thought a V4 was a good concept) which is a good deal more money.

FZRDude
Co-Admin

Post by FZRDude »

silver wrote:.....Honda Interceptor.....

Just say NO.
Friends don't let friends ride Hondas.
I'd rather push a Yamaha than ride a Honda.
and so on
and so on
etc...

:ha

sickle44
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by sickle44 »

I'd probably say Yes, too John.
Although here are my ?'s,
100/month Ok, but how many months??

Perhaps there's a way we can get one to you sneakily from Canada for a buck so you don't have to pay a sickening duty.

These are my hesitations for you, just before I found my FZR I tryed a VFR and an RC51. While the VFR does "everything right and nothing wrong, supposedly," it breaks the most cardinal rule of any two wheeled machine. Not really by being a Honda, and let's face it, it's not the "Honda" that makes it bad but the 90% of the arragont SOB's that ride Honda's who are just as bad as Harley riders with that, My shit don't stink attitude, what makes it bad is the fact that it has no soul. It's truly an uninspirational ride. That's regarding the VFR. Sounds like a bloody Evinrude boat engine.

The SV while being a very cool machine, it's a twin, myself after riding an inline four banger for so-long, twins and even the lumpier VFR engine felt very strange and like I could never feel at home on one. I'm sure this just takes a matter of getting used to but really it's the strangest thing. It's like feeling your wife's breasts for the first time in 6 months and she's now 6 months pregnants. Who's are these?????? AHHHH??? Did I marry another women suddenly without knowing. :poke
Michael
Yes Yes I know, I said, I'm building a project YZF1070

Basement is done now, 850 finished and gone...
Gotta get the new siding up on the house.
Fixing the FZ1 up, cleaning up garage and then I might even begin

silver
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by silver »

Thanks Mike and Tim. Jim had PM'ed me a while back on this issue as well. I've always been intrigued with the SV1000. What I'm finding is that Suzuki might have run into some emission trouble with the European emission laws and are re-designing the engine. I'm going to call a Suzuki shop and see if they have any insight into this though I think I'll just have to wait and see. Here are a couple posts on the USENET :

"Someone said earlier that they were being dropped because they couldn't pass the 2008 Euro emission standards (a big market). They also said the SV-1000
or old 1997 TL-S motor was being redesigned so that it would pass and also provide better fuel economy. I don't know the exact details but the new engine has longer intake tracks and a longer stroke (SS1000V or something like that). I"

"Suzuki is notoriously slow on releasing new bikes. I'd keep your current ride until you get word from a reliable dealer, if the new SV is your next bike of choice. It may be six months. "

"Do what you can, where you can, with what you have." Theodore Roosevelt.

WickedFZR1K
Veteran Poster

Post by WickedFZR1K »

I guess it all boils down to what you like and feel comfortable on. I have personally riden a couple SV1000's, TL1000R's and a couple Harleys/Harley based bikes. I like the torque of the V-Twin engines, it is so smooth and all over the rpm range, but Japanese to Harley, Japanese wins in the "less vibration" factor.
If you are interested in a new SV1000, my local dealer actually has a left over 07 on the floor right now, if I remeber right, they have it marked down to try to move it out.
P.S. As some of you know, I LOVE Suzuki motorcycles (and I am also Suzuki factory trained), so I am kind of partial to them. I WILL NOT though give up my beloved FZR, she is staying no matter what. I had a 94 FZR1000 back in the late 90's and it took me nearly 7 years to find another (got two actually in the deal) so being the rarity of them, it is a keeper.
If you want to live life by your own terms, you gotta be willing to crash and burn...

silver
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by silver »

Frankly if Suzuki upgraded the SV650 to being an SV750, I'd probably jump on it. I just don't think the 650 is going to handle riding 30,K miles per year with about 20,K of them being at freeway speeds of around 85mph average.

dragracer1951
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by dragracer1951 »

Bottom line is if you like the bike... buy the bike.
I would not worry about them updating the bike in the next little bit. If you like it, buy it.
Jim

Hey Kid...

"...you can't tune a motor that's hurt. They run much faster on fuel then they do on aluminum." - Elmer Trett

sickle44
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by sickle44 »

What about an Aprillia Shiver John, Friggen Beautiful machine IMO.

I can't find anything on it for the US but I know it's coming to Canada for $9995. http://www.aprilia.com/modelli/road/modello.asp?id=130
Michael

dragracer1951
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by dragracer1951 »

I think the SV can be had for a Butt Ton less than Ten Grand
Jim

Hey Kid...

silver
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by silver »

Regarding the Aprillia Shiver, just not my style. Jim had also referenced the 'busa and that's not completely out of the question. Waiting to find out how much insurance is going to cost on the various rides as well. For some reason it took a serious jump recently and I hadn't had any tickets of accident claims at all.

sickle44
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by sickle44 »

have you seen the shiver with a nice quarter fairing, she's got such a gorgeous bumb man, sorry it's not your style. Then again, what am I doing suggesting a twin anyways. I've always thought that if you've ridden a four banger for so longer and you want to go down in cylinders, you should do so gradually. After thinking that, the choice is obvious, either the 675 Daytona or the Street Triple. There you go!!! close to 750, cheaper insurance, fast and light, sexy, ....... what else does a guy need???
Michael

hotcam
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by hotcam »

I gotta say the SV1000 I rode was a lovely motor but handled like s***. Could have been the worn-out rear tyre but I think it might have been that plus a little more? If the handling could be fixed (or just a new tyre) it would be a HOOT as a bike. I love the twin torque.

BUT, that said, I'm currently saving/selling to get an FZ1... I guess that says my opinion on the matter :) anyone in Aus wanna buy a nice '95 FZR1k with low miles?
-------
'95 FZR1040 '09 FZ1-S
"And they had a machine, a dream of a machine, with wheels and gears and perfect in every respect, and they lived on it..." -Stanislaw Lem, "Cyberiad"

silver
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by silver »

I know they're not exactly in the same class, but I came to respect the Buell when I pulled up along side one at a light prior to moving onto I24. That thing was about as casual as you can get and yet it flat moved down the road. Seemed to have tons of torque right off the line and in very short order it just walked right up to 80~90 mph without even breaking a sweat.

sickle44
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by sickle44 »

1125R Baby, 1125R,
Now that's a machine and finally a "motor" to go along with the machine. They may not look so pretty on paper but they look more than redeemed in the metal.

There's nothing wrong with the new XB12R as well just so long as they've got the newly improved japanese transmission instead of the exact same damned trans as they would have in a 1200Sportster with the exact same damned throw, believe it or not. You get to the top of 1st in 2seconds with it's huge 5500rev limit and then it takes you a good 4 seconds to coax the bloody thing into second. Save the rev limit, constant fan noise, trans, and that big "lunk" in the middle, very nice machine.

Get on the triple band wagon if you're gonna have less than 4 cylinders though John. You might be able to tell, I feel quite strongly about it.
Michael

dragracer1951
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by dragracer1951 »

Tour-A-Busa!!!!!!!!
Long legs, comfy, roomy, will out handle your FZR. No kidding. It will.
Your FZR is 540 lbs and so is the Busa
Lets talk about the Busa's ability to compress time. And the distance between telephone poles. Not to mention cities, and states. Jeebers them things are fast.
And with the new one just out, the price is pretty good on a used one.
The are absolutely bulletproof. Get fair mileage. But they "Are" a little rough on tires... :roll:
I'm tellin ya....
Tour-A-Busa Bay Bay!!!
Them folks at work will be all the time wonderin bout that Perma Grin on yur face!!!
And if ya think you'll get tired of pullin the trigger on the thing...
Nah... You won't.
Jim

Hey Kid...

sickle44
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by sickle44 »

Busa Jim???

Does it honestly handle better than an FZR?? Ok, so say it does, and there's no denying the telephone pole bit or any of the other excellent points you bring up, BUT, you've failed to bring up one of the most important issues to any motorcyclist. With that big fat arse hump and the big fat front saggy tit without a nipple, it's just so damned BUTT FUGLY! IMO anyways but you know what they always say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess.

675, 675, 675!! :poke
Michael

FZRDude
Co-Admin

Post by FZRDude »

As Jim and I were just on this discussion the other day...... and his comment was.......

"How much of it can you see when you are traveling at warp speed??