Wiseco 1040, Is the top ring the brass one or the steel?

Got something you want to say but don't know where else to say it? This is the spot to post it!
Yoniboi
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Wiseco 1040, Is the top ring the brass one or the steel?

Post by Yoniboi »

Nothing more, gents. Hoping for a quick answer here so I can get her back together again and start getting her run in.

Thanks.
John
If you're going to take a shot at me let me know so I can duck...!

gane
Veteran Poster

Post by gane »

John, top and 2nd ring both steel, top ring is ususlly chrome plated, 2nd high carbon steel(black) stamping at end gap on ring is up, sometimes w/ T designating upper ring, on staggered rings sometimes rings are different height demisions check clearances in landes. hope this helps G
G
"just because You think everyone's against you, it only means your' paranoid. " not that your' wrong."

Yoniboi
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by Yoniboi »

It does! Superb description, thanks. The top ring is copper plated, not chrome, but after reading your description I looked closely at the edge of the ring and it's true... it's steel. The 2nd ring was the giveaway, carbon black. Both are stamped (so I know which way's up) but both are stamped with identical letter, which is what prompted the question in the first place.

One last thing. The packet says 'use a high quality ring expander' but I've just put them on by hand, very carefully, without forcing anything. I'm happy with the way they've seated and I'm sure I haven't twisted them, so time will tell if I should have spent a day running around Madrid looking for another tool.

Cheers,
John

dragracer1951
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by dragracer1951 »

I put them on by hand and have for years. Gap orientation is of no consequence as they move.
It's a chore to get them in the bore by hand but that's how I do it. Two at a time with shop towels in the cases to keep the rods from banging the cases...
Jim

Hey Kid...
Is my tail light still working?

"...you can't tune a motor that's hurt. They run much faster on fuel then they do on aluminum." - Elmer Trett

Yoniboi
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by Yoniboi »

Fantastic. Thanks Gane, thanks Jim. I got both of those replies just as I needed them. Got the pistons into the bores... it's a lot harder when they're new than when they've been in there a few thousand kms. Looks good to go. Just waiting on a dowel from Yamaha, one of the two that locates the head just so. It simply wouldn't come out of the old block, not for love nor money. That means the head'll get torqued down another day, but I don't need a helping pair of hands to do that, which is what I was blessed with today.

Now work's stopped on the motor I'm going back down to take the fork to pieces for new seals plus Hagon springs and oil. Funny that Yamcrazy's thread got posted just in time too, just in time to catch the hardware store before it closed for the weekend!!!

Thanks to all of you. Said it before, I'll say it again. Without you all, owning an EXUP would be a headache rather than a hobby.

John