Tyred... (lol)

Got something you want to say but don't know where else to say it? This is the spot to post it!
spook
Dolphin-headed purple plasma TLR thing?

Tyred... (lol)

Post by spook »

I was going to title the post "A not very interesting day in the workshop"...(lol)

Well I have grown tired of taking my tyres and wheels to bike shops for the regular swapping and changing that goes on. I looked at what there was out there to buy, but found little that I was willing to spend my not so hard earned $$$ on.

So I made one today. A couple of things that may be of interest are the clamps are 25x80x100 blocks of poly-ethylene which is the sort off soft flexible sort of plastic used for chopping boards. With a groove machined into them for the rim lip. Hopefully this will allow the wheel to be clamped tight without any damage to the rim coating. The bead breaker pad will have some 6ml rubber pop riveted to it, to prevent damage as well. The wind up bit is off a 14" cut-off saw I purchased so I could use the high torque motor to make up some starter rollers for the FZ.

The good thing about this is I now have a bead breaker, and a basic stand for wheel fitment. I'll now muck around with a center stay so I can use a lever (which there is provision for) and hand levers and rim protectors. Whatever the case I should from now on be able to conveniently change my own, and the only cost will be time... Probably less than the drive to the local shop.

I generally buy my tyres from serious racers who have done their qualifier and changed to new rubber for the race. And then ride for half the season on them :)

I guess I better go and paint it. Cheers!

stan
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by stan »

i stand and applaud, another busy day in the workshop, you sure you want to get a job???

stan
Motorcycling, it's a participation sport!!

spook

Post by spook »

Last thing in the world really Bro. Though that golf club 60k job is sort of being offered... Martin the 125 gp man that runs the show next door, has left his CR250 MX bits with me to work on and repair, mod ... It will be much cheaper if he just employed me (lol) He mentioned a freind of his that waited for a job in melb as a tug boat driver in the habour of Melbourne. I think now it was a analogy of sorts? So I don't know! Keep playing! He left at 11.30 last night.... He is one of us.

Sort of need to move on. Most of my trailers are out for free helping the fire folk... Fucked if I know :)

stan
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by stan »

I feel we need a solid weekend of drinking, and WSBK racing to disscuss this further

I hear Aprilia Superbikes crash rather baddly

stan
Motorcycling, it's a participation sport!!

spook

Post by spook »

It is going to be seriously good fun... Have you booked... You know we could just talk about it on the phone :ha

You probably need to book now and check if entry into the grounds will be okay at 2 am... ? If not I will create a diversion.... Blow up a thunder box or something?

Bring it on I say... CAN NOT WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hotcam
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by hotcam »

Bring it on I say... CAN NOT WAIT!!!
totally... i'm dyin for a weekend of bikey racey goodness

nice tyre machine, by the way. :cool
-------
'95 FZR1040 '09 FZ1-S
"And they had a machine, a dream of a machine, with wheels and gears and perfect in every respect, and they lived on it..." -Stanislaw Lem, "Cyberiad"

spook

Post by spook »

I have to admit I had some help with the job. Wolfgang as always was there to fetch beers from the fridge... He only caught on fire once... He knows the risks....

spook

Post by spook »

Okay, so it's finished... I can tell how excited you all are, I'll start a new thread on the starter rollers shortly. I'll wait a day for the 2k to harden before I change a tyre. Cheers!

Ck
Regular Poster

Post by Ck »

wow.. very nice workmanship, that'll save ya a buck or two in the long run!!
FZR1000 92 Ru Model

MsHap
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by MsHap »

Wow that is awesome!
I love the white plastic dodads to protect the rim

Yeah I buy my tyres online so I would feel guilty bringing them to a shop so I always do them myself.

The Cruzan Way:
I break the bead by backing a car over the tyre like upto but not touching the bike rim and it pops it off :)
Then I use big screwdrivers covered in tape and lots of cursing :)
and a SCUBA cylinder to pop the new one in place :) You cannot beat an intermediate pressure of 18bar to seat a bead :)

I wish I had a shop :( I have to work outside. I have to shovel snow to work on Jello and the other day I lost sockets in the snow.

I have her engine in my friends basement in the most cluttered, worst lit location possible
My Name is Chrissy
This is Jello

"A total lack of self peservation is good for about another 30HP" Confusious

spook

Post by spook »

That's the lounge room MsHap! Yes the dodads are my favorite as well :) The bead breaker bit doesn't work very well... A bad guesstimate on my part, so I'm doing an upgrade to the dangley thing. Found some really cool rim protectors at the local shop, so in the next few days I'll have it sorted, and from then on no more rooting around.

I just cut through half of one of my fingers making a steak sandwich, I had to pull the knife out of the bone. I like my knives sharp. Only had a slight affect on my appetite. Wolfgang enjoyed the juices... he might have a taste for humans now?

There is no way I would live anywhere where it snows, and there are many ways to skin a cat...er, tyre granted... Your scuba bottle technique is quite common amongst truck tyre folk, and most spectacular :)

Those led headlamp things make a great investment, they leave you with two hands free, and light wherever your looking. I'm watching your build with interest. Cheers :)

MsHap
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by MsHap »

ewww on the the knife thing.
I did that once with a razor knife pulling it towards me while cutting.

U need a longer arm on the breaker?
years (and years) ago I had this thing that kinda looked like a puller but the bolt went sideways and it was big. u put the like "claws" on either side of the tyre near the rim and tightened the bolt and it pinched the bead free but it worked on like 160 max
oh and I broke it somehow :)

Yeah I cannot believe that I moved to a winter kinda place but I like the people
My Name is Chrissy
This is Jello

MsHap
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by MsHap »

oh yeah, what is the headlamp dealey
I have one. Did I mention it?[/list]
My Name is Chrissy
This is Jello

spook

Post by spook »

Okay here's a pick of it finished. The first attempt see pick upwards had a triangle thing for the breaker bit. This was no good for two reasons, firstly as you pushed down the triangulation pushed into the rim, and the arm being straight didn't allow enough stroke to break the bead.

The new one is made out of 10mlx40ml flat bent in a S-shape this allows for greater stroke and the arm effectively moves away from the rim as you push it down, so it is much better and works really well. The clamps hold really well as well, so it's all good. I've already stripped a couple of rims and it was so easy to do.

The c-clamp type breakers work just as well, just a little more elbow grease involved :) I've got a lever that slides into the short arm you see to increase leverage, it just comes out when your not using it :)

djalbin
Smilies Run Amok

Post by djalbin »

Nice piece of equipment ... but I still like the dog best :cool
Don
1994 FZR1000
Tucson, AZ

kiwi60
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by kiwi60 »

I was going to title the post "A not very interesting day in the workshop"...(lol)
:ha :ha
“I venture not to cross that finish line in a neat, tidy well ordered bundle, but to slide across it sideways in a shower of spark’s, leaking oil, hissing steam shouting ..Geronimo !!!!! “

2005 SV996R SOLD
1988 FZR750/1040 race bike SOLD
1988 FZR750/1000 - the next project CHANGING THE LOOK AGAIN, BUT STILL ON THE ROAD
Now he's got a KAWASAKI!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nope - Sold that one too
Dang - he’s got a Triumph now :o

spook

Post by spook »

djalbin wrote:Nice piece of equipment ... but I still like the dog best :cool
Wolfgang? Me too :)