OWO2?

Got something you want to say but don't know where else to say it? This is the spot to post it!
spook
Dolphin-headed purple plasma TLR thing?

OWO2?

Post by spook »

Why is it that everyone other than Yamaha refer to the R7 as the OWO2?

Yamaha give the designation (OWO2) to the 1993 YZF750SPE (OWO2) and the 1994 YZF750SPF (OWO2) Has Yamaha got it wrong :?: Cheers.

YEC_YZF750SP
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Re: OWO2?

Post by YEC_YZF750SP »

spook wrote:Why is it that everyone other than Yamaha refer to the R7 as the OWO2?

Yamaha give the designation (OWO2) to the 1993 YZF750SPE (OWO2) and the 1994 YZF750SPF (OWO2) Has Yamaha got it wrong :?: Cheers.
That's because the YZF-R7 IS officially an OW02. The '93 YZF750SPE and '94 YZF750SPF was never officially given the OW02 designation by Yamaha Japan when the SP model was released.

However, I can understand why one might refer to the SP as an OW02 because in the fall/winter of '92, Yamaha entered the yet-to-be released SP in some All-Japan F1 races (for final shakedown tests to develop the race kit)) and they called it an "OW02". I clearly remember this because I had a magazine with some race results/race report explaining this.

Julian

spook

Post by spook »

Myself and a freind who is a dealer, were looking up designations on the Genuine YPIC (Yamaha Parts Information Catalogue) It is a DVD-ROM that provides text and graphics information for the range of Marine and Motorcycle catalogues available from Yamaha Motor Australia from 1988 onwards. It clearly lists the 93 94 YZF750SP as the OWO2

Seems strange they wouldreference their bikes incorrectly. I fully expect that I'm just effectively blasting myself out of a cannon into the abyss, however it is a question i reckon that begs answering, if by no one other than Yamaha themselves :) Cheers.

YEC_YZF750SP
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by YEC_YZF750SP »

spook wrote:Myself and a freind who is a dealer, were looking up designations on the Genuine YPIC (Yamaha Parts Information Catalogue) It is a DVD-ROM that provides text and graphics information for the range of Marine and Motorcycle catalogues available from Yamaha Motor Australia from 1988 onwards. It clearly lists the 93 94 YZF750SP as the OWO2

Seems strange they wouldreference their bikes incorrectly. I fully expect that I'm just effectively blasting myself out of a cannon into the abyss, however it is a question i reckon that begs answering, if by no one other than Yamaha themselves :) Cheers.
HHmmm..........The Australia YPIC is listing the 93-94 SP as the OW02.......that's interesting to know. I have a Canadian Yamaha Parts Microfiche (Dec 1992) VIN 4HB-000101 to 4JA-000101 and it doesn't have the OW02 designation. :?:

Yes, it seems strange that Yamaha would reference their bikes incorrectly.

Thanks for your info Spook! Looks like we need the services of the CIA, FBI, CSIS, KGB and MI5 to solve this one!! LOL!

FZRDude
Co-Admin

Post by FZRDude »

YEC_YZF750SP wrote:
spook wrote:Myself and a freind who is a dealer, were looking up designations on the Genuine YPIC (Yamaha Parts Information Catalogue) It is a DVD-ROM that provides text and graphics information for the range of Marine and Motorcycle catalogues available from Yamaha Motor Australia from 1988 onwards. It clearly lists the 93 94 YZF750SP as the OWO2

HHmmm..........The Australia YPIC is listing the 93-94 SP as the OW02.......that's interesting to know. I have a Canadian Yamaha Parts Microfiche (Dec 1992) VIN 4HB-000101 to 4JA-000101 and it doesn't have the OW02 designation. :?:

Yes, it seems strange that Yamaha would reference their bikes incorrectly.

Thanks for your info Spook! Looks like we need the services of the CIA, FBI, CSIS, KGB and MI5 to solve this one!! LOL!
Oh like the first 2 could find anything.... They'd just cover it up and say it was exhaust fumes/swamp gas, or a reflection of the planet Venus off a weather balloon at night while snowing.
There are some who call me........Tim?
In Memory Of John "Silver" Douglas (Dec. 08, 2008) R.I.P. My Friend.

:wave: :popcorn :cursing :super-mad

spook

Post by spook »

Love a conspiracy theory... Here's a screen shot off the actual Yamaha reference. If you think about it, the YZF750 is the logical cousin to the OWO1, the R7 really shares nothing of the linage, it is basically a 750cc R1 engine in a YZR500 chassis.

YEC_YZF750SP
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by YEC_YZF750SP »

WOW! Thanks for sharing the screen shot showing the OW02 designation! Yep, I agree that logically the SP's are the cousin of the OW01 and they definitely share the same linage. :)

Hooligan
Site Admin

Post by Hooligan »

wanna know something funny? the R7 has a decal on each side of the tail fairing that says R7 OW-02.

so, what's that about?
Jason, aka: Hooligan
1994 YZF750-R
1996 YZF750-R
2003 Bonneville T100

spook

Post by spook »

Yep.... So it does! I'll be buggered. I've got no idea. Perhaps they just changed their mind at some point. Perhaps an email to yamaha will clear it up? I've googled owo2 and all the references are to the R7. The listing I've shown above is off the 2008 YPIC. It's more a point of interest than a concern :)

Hooligan
Site Admin

Post by Hooligan »

i hear ya. i never understood why yamaha didn't give the yzf750 the official factory designation of OW-02, and the R7 OW-03.

doesn't make much sense, but then again, marketing sometimes never does...
Jason, aka: Hooligan
1994 YZF750-R
1996 YZF750-R
2003 Bonneville T100

spook

Post by spook »

Once a sticker goes on... That's it... :ha

YEC_YZF750SP
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by YEC_YZF750SP »

Hooligan wrote:i hear ya. i never understood why yamaha didn't give the yzf750 the official factory designation of OW-02, and the R7 OW-03.

doesn't make much sense, but then again, marketing sometimes never does...
I couldn't agree more with ya Jason!

spook

Post by spook »

They are all great bikes, actually thinking about it, the OWO1 And the R7 were both basically prototypes made to go racing so they have that in common.

The YZF was more probably more 'kit' than the OWO1 but ran a production frame.

The R1 designated SP came out recently (2006) with up spec bits, ie:

YZF-R1SP HIGHLIGHTS;
# Special high-quality colour scheme to underline its exclusivity
# Based on 2006 YZF-R
# Modified Deltabox V frame with revised rigidity balance*
# Extended swingarm*
# % increase in front wheel weight distribution*
# New lower triple clamp*
# Limited run of only 500 units in Europe
# Exclusive Öhlins front forks
# Exclusive Öhlins rear shock
# Slipper clutch
# Forged aluminium Marchesini wheels
# New gold-coloured mufflers
# Lap timer

It amazes me though that Yamaha staff, techs, agents etc stare at that YPIC listing day in and day out.... It's a pretty serious error to make, by the manufacturer of the motorcycles... Worthy of a recall you would reckon :ha

hotcam
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by hotcam »

I have a sneaking suspicion that the OW02 designation was used on
the YZF750RSP in only a limited way, maybe only in Australia or
some limited range of countries, and not heavily promoted.
Then it was re-used worldwide for the R7 because the marketing
people felt it was still "fresh" and "added value" to the R7.
Just my guess though.
-------
'95 FZR1040 '09 FZ1-S
"And they had a machine, a dream of a machine, with wheels and gears and perfect in every respect, and they lived on it..." -Stanislaw Lem, "Cyberiad"

sevenheaven
New Poster

Post by sevenheaven »

Hooligan wrote:wanna know something funny? the R7 has a decal on each side of the tail fairing that says R7 OW-02.

so, what's that about?
Hmmm...let me check....yep it sure does! ;)

I think it is fair to say that both the FZR750RR & the R7 were race bikes with lights added for the road......whereas the YZF750SP was primarily a road bike converted to a race bike. IMHO

SevenHeaven
ImageImage

davemfox2
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by davemfox2 »

sevenheaven wrote:
Hooligan wrote:wanna know something funny? the R7 has a decal on each side of the tail fairing that says R7 OW-02.

so, what's that about?
Hmmm...let me check....yep it sure does! ;)

I think it is fair to say that both the FZR750RR & the R7 were race bikes with lights added for the road......whereas the YZF750SP was primarily a road bike converted to a race bike. IMHO
Spot on :D

Dave
1993 YZF 750 SP with Yoshimura half system
RG400
GSXR 1100WT