R6 Slipper Clutch DOES NOT FIT!!!!!!

Got something you want to say but don't know where else to say it? This is the spot to post it!
spook
Dolphin-headed purple plasma TLR thing?

R6 Slipper Clutch DOES NOT FIT!!!!!!

Post by spook »

Mr Marquez is in possession of the R6 slipper and has sent through some pix's just to wet the appetite. It's looking promising :) I just hope you don't get too attached to it Tony... LOL. It apparently looks like new. I'm going to pull down the YZF750 motor I have here tonight to compare the internals of the fz750 and the YZF750. I'll post more info in the FZ750 build saga page. Cheers!

Last edited by spook on Mon May 25, 2009 7:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

hotcam
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by hotcam »

Hey if you want to compare a FZR1000 clutch as well, I'm willing.
I got to pull it out anyhow before I can ride again, because it's slipping
and cracked.
-------
'95 FZR1040 '09 FZ1-S
"And they had a machine, a dream of a machine, with wheels and gears and perfect in every respect, and they lived on it..." -Stanislaw Lem, "Cyberiad"

spook

Post by spook »

I've got Dan sending me over one Cam with a pile of other stuff (33 pounds of it) for the T-Ace engine, I'll let you know, I don't think the internal part will be any different. I'll have some answers in a week or so. Fingers crossed :)

hotcam
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by hotcam »

Well good luck then,
(and not just because I want it to work for my bike too)!
-------
'95 FZR1040 '09 FZ1-S
"And they had a machine, a dream of a machine, with wheels and gears and perfect in every respect, and they lived on it..." -Stanislaw Lem, "Cyberiad"

spook

Post by spook »

hotcam wrote:Well good luck then,
(and not just because I want it to work for my bike too)!
That's a good enough reason Cam!

kev123
Veteran Poster

Post by kev123 »

Just remember who told you eh.

spook

Post by spook »

kev123 wrote:Just remember who told you eh.
Now Kev, you know I have already cited the credit of my decision to go ahead with the clutch to you.
spook wrote:Thanks Kev, reading your post prompted me to get moving on the slipper possibility. I need clutch parts as the center on my FZ clutch was broken removing it. I had seen in some previous posts around the traps R6-R1 compatibility mentioned, so i thought I would look and see.
But there are others who also desrerve credit, like yzfsp750racer back in 2004
yzfsp750racer wrote:Noticed that after market baskets and plates are the same for the new r6 and the old yzf's?, has any one tried to put a r6 slipper clutch in the yzf motor yet????
And duberman back in 2005...
duderman wrote:I guess I'm talking about a Road Racing Slipper Clutch, I've been told that the 98 to 2003 R1 aftermarket sliper clutches would fit, I dont know thats true or not, apparently the Clutches are supposely the same, or very similar. just wish I had a R1 Clutch to compare to.

And of course there is your mechanic, but I don't know his name.

How long have you known troy Corser? :poke

spook

Post by spook »

Okay, this is how I see it after pulling the clutch out of the YZF750. The YZF and FZ750 (would guess FZR's as well) Are pretty much the same.

The R6 slipper has the same size plates, main bearing and bushings, and center spline. The plate stack is the same depth.

The R6 crankshaft and oil pump gears are different sizes (smaller) The R6 Basket will not fit on to the FZ or YZF pinions as the rivit and spring spacings are different. The inner does go into the YZF outer, but at this point does not seat far enough into the basket for you to be able to fit all of the plates on. The R6 center is also deeper and may interfere with the outer cover baffling.

This may be able to be made to work, either buy somehow Machining the R6 center boss or the YZF inner or both. However it is done, (if it is possible at all) It is going to involve a major investment in time and money to make it fit.

I guess the R1 needs to be looked at now. I'm sure there may be after market options, it is not a great leap.

All I can say at this point is it is not as alleged a drop in mod. I'm going to continue with it and see if it can be achieved, the ramp slipper is a master stroke of engineering genius and simplicity. Also the Yamaha clutch seems as if it has a degree of adjustability in the way of a spring steel stack that probably can be altered.

I'll post photos when I get time. Cheers.

hotcam
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by hotcam »

Damn. Good luck!
-------
'95 FZR1040 '09 FZ1-S

MsHap
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by MsHap »

Good Luck

Well if you want it bad enough you will get it done
My Name is Chrissy
This is Jello

"A total lack of self peservation is good for about another 30HP" Confusious

sickle44
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by sickle44 »

Spook,

Just a thought here and of course without actually being there and seeing myself, you could 'xplain it to me in words several times but I still wouldn't get it until I could see it for myself.
So, I'm just going to throw a question out there for you. You said the depths and diameters were the same, correct?
Could you not then just take the ring gear off of the bike's basket you are attempting to install a slipper clutch into. Take that into a shop and have the R6 slipper clutch's basket mated up to the other bike's ring gear?
Of course then there are shaft issues I reckon but wouldn't that be the major deal there, or no?
Sorry, I'm just not there to see it, I'm tired, and just had my morphine so...... yeah, anyways, sorry to offend if I have.

Cheers. and thanks for trying, it's something I've too been wanting to do. BTW, someone had told my Dutchman racing does a slipper for the FZR but, I'm still waiting for an email back from him to verify. I'll let you know when I find out.
Michael
Yes Yes I know, I said, I'm building a project YZF1070

Basement is done now, 850 finished and gone...
Gotta get the new siding up on the house.
Fixing the FZ1 up, cleaning up garage and then I might even begin

duke22
Veteran Poster

Post by duke22 »

Hey Spook keep up the good work. If you need any help with design / machining let me know. I've got a couple of spare FZ/FZR clutch drums I'd be happy to try modifications on. A slipper clutch sounds like a good plan for the 911, 6th to 2nd at the end of Pukekohe's back straight is always a worry.
By the way, what is the baffle inside the clutch cover for? Is it something to do with the breather? I keep thinking how heavy it is, and how easy it would be to take off...

spook

Post by spook »

Cheers Everyone!
I'm not disappointed, and understand when you go down these roads there are sometimes rewards, and sometimes just some extra parts! It's not over yet. I will do some pixs tonight. There is a chance the old FZ wheel may adapt to suit. There is always a way, but atm I'm working on a principle not unlike Maslow's hierarchy of needs (lol)...

My CBR929 track bike is just about finished and I'm working at getting to the track in a weeks time. I'm hanging for a ride! The amount of time i send rebuilding binned bikes! New tyres from now on!

Lyle, I think it has something to do with catching the oil being thrown off the clutch and sending it back to the sump... That's only a guess though... I'll have to have a proper look at it now..(lol)

Photo's to come....

hotcam
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by hotcam »

By the way, what is the baffle inside the clutch cover for?
I thought it was just for killing clutch noise in order to pass epa test.
Might have something to do with oil flow though?

Yamaha call it Breather... but that's no information because the gasket
attached to it inside the clutch cover is called Gasket Carburetor (!)

cam
-------
'95 FZR1040 '09 FZ1-S

spook

Post by spook »

Geez Cam, do i have to spell it out for you? The gasket carburetor works in association with the abolitary forcifier to prevent catastrophic collapse of the main structural membrane... Simple as that :P

stan
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by stan »

although i did read an article, talking about being related to the hydrophonic interacting demumerfier, causing a negitive feed back loop through the occolating modulator, which inturn may cause a down stream problem with the slipper bumper strip :banana :banana

stan
Motorcycling, it's a participation sport!!

hotcam
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by hotcam »

Damnit guys, I have enough trouble trying to find halogen fluid to top
up my headlights. So far I have to order it from the USA...
http://www.kalecoauto.com
-------
'95 FZR1040 '09 FZ1-S

FZRDude
Co-Admin

Post by FZRDude »

hotcam wrote:Damnit guys, I have enough trouble trying to find halogen fluid to top
up my headlights. So far I have to order it from the USA...
http://www.kalecoauto.com
Hey Cam, thanks for the link..... I found the Muffler bearings, but no grease. Anyone think the Elbow Grease would work?
There are some who call me........Tim?
In Memory Of John "Silver" Douglas (Dec. 08, 2008) R.I.P. My Friend.

:wave: :popcorn :cursing :super-mad

spook

Post by spook »

Hmmm, perhaps Tim, but it is known to cause adverse reactions amongst a percentage of the population. If using this type of grease, one has to be sure not to sweat, as it has an adverse chemical effect by which syntheses and decompositions ordinarily impossible in conditions occur.

RUFtech
Veteran Poster

Post by RUFtech »

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance then baffle them with bullsh*t. :P
Bob
'97 YZF750R (sold)
'87 Porsche 944 Turbo
'04 GTO
If you haven't seen god your not going fast enough