New Member in Aus

Got something you want to say but don't know where else to say it? This is the spot to post it!
Mike_SS
Veteran Poster

New Member in Aus

Post by Mike_SS »

Wasn't sure where to post hello so I'll do it here I guess.

Was talking to a really helpful guy on the phone the other night about a YZF crank. He put me on to this forum. Shit, I wish I had of found this 6 months ago!. I have two YZF 750Rs which I bought for a race bike and a spare.

Like the bike but it has been hard finding info and bits for it.
I have learned more reading this forum over the last 24 hours than I have in the last 6 months. Top Site :)

hotcam
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by hotcam »

Welcome to our YZF-FZR playpen! You're in the right place for sure. We look
forward to seeing some pictures. How's the racing going, or are you still
building the bike up in preparation for it?
-------
'95 FZR1040 '09 FZ1-S
"And they had a machine, a dream of a machine, with wheels and gears and perfect in every respect, and they lived on it..." -Stanislaw Lem, "Cyberiad"

MsHap
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by MsHap »

Hi :)
My Name is Chrissy
This is Jello

"A total lack of self peservation is good for about another 30HP" Confusious

sickle44
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by sickle44 »

Anywhere is fine really for the newbie Hello,

Welcome.
Michael
Yes Yes I know, I said, I'm building a project YZF1070

Basement is done now, 850 finished and gone...
Gotta get the new siding up on the house.
Fixing the FZ1 up, cleaning up garage and then I might even begin

Mike_SS
Veteran Poster

Post by Mike_SS »

How's the racing going, or are you still
building the bike up in preparation for it?
Racing is not going so great. 3 outings, 2 crashes :oops:
Good thing I bought the spare bike :)

Rebuilding at the moment (also healing a shoulder)

rush1
Veteran Poster

Post by rush1 »

Welcome, you could not be far the truth about learning more from this site then anywhere else. Everyone on here is awesome about helping everyone out. Good luck with the rebuild and racing. Hopefully you will get some wins under yor belt.
:bfg

stan
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by stan »

Hey there Mike SS, You will have to post up where and when you are heading to a race meet.

I'm moving to Qld from Melb in a few weeks (Hervey Bay!!) so might get the chance to come along to a meet or 2

Hope your healing is going well, and keep us posted on the bike repairs

stan
Motorcycling, it's a participation sport!!

spook
Dolphin-headed purple plasma TLR thing?

Post by spook »

G'day Mike, Glad you found the forum. You will definitely find the folk here knowledgeable and willing to help. And do take the opportunity to hook up with Stan, he has a good knowledge of racing these things, and is good company as well :) Can't believe my crew chief is leaving me LOL....

I'll probably drive up with the bikes at sometime so perhaps we can have a QId get together? You might have already met Ozzy he is up your way and gets on here occasionaly... He knows a truck load. You should post a few shots of your off! No shortage of commitment there! Look forward to seeing you around. Cheers

Overkill
Veteran Poster

Post by Overkill »

Welcome!

sbutler
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by sbutler »

Welcome !!!!
I will only agree with what you have said. This place is the best for problem solving. I race also in the PCRA 89 to 95 class on an FZR1000. I wouldnt ever have made some of the mods to my bike if it wasn't for the help I received from this forum & its memebers. Hotcam, Stan & spook + others are all great problem solvers for us guys downunder.

Learn to use others knowlege & you'll save a lot of time & money.
Cheers steve.
96 GSXR 750 racer gone
90 GSXR 750 racer gone
ZRX 1200 Roady to enjoy.
Retired TeamExup racer.

FZRDude
Co-Admin

Post by FZRDude »

Greetings Mate!!! :welcome

Glad to have you with us.
There are some who call me........Tim?
In Memory Of John "Silver" Douglas (Dec. 08, 2008) R.I.P. My Friend.

:wave: :popcorn :cursing :super-mad

Mike_SS
Veteran Poster

Post by Mike_SS »

Thanks for the welcome guys.
stan wrote:You will have to post up where and when you are heading to a race meet
This year all of the New Era racing is at Morgan Park up near Warwick. There is a meeting of some form or another every month until November. Not sure which meeting I will be back racing at yet but I'll still be going along to them all anyway to help out. Keep an eye out for the 4 day Historic meeting in September. Check the Motorcycle Sportsmen website.

Oh, and don't forget yoyr subscription to Caravaner's Monthly for when you move to Hervey Bay. ;) :) J/K Lovely place :)
sbutler wrote:Hotcam, Stan & spook + others are all great problem solvers for us guys downunder.
Excellent to know. spook has already set my mind working on some engine work possibilities. :)
rush1 wrote:Hopefully you will get some wins under yor belt.
Finishes would be good at the moment. :) I am not going to be any real threat to the front runners in this class. All about having some fun :)
spook wrote: You should post a few shots of your off!
I am probably missing something simple but can't see how to embed pics in posts on this forum. Bloody computers :)

FZRDude
Co-Admin

Post by FZRDude »

Mike_SS wrote:I am probably missing something simple but can't see how to embed pics in posts on this forum. Bloody computers :)
Feel free to email me your pics and I'll put them up for you, or you can use Photobucket or Imageshack to name a couple that most of us use.
There are some who call me........Tim?
In Memory Of John "Silver" Douglas (Dec. 08, 2008) R.I.P. My Friend.

:wave: :popcorn :cursing :super-mad

Mike_SS
Veteran Poster

Post by Mike_SS »

Thank for that but I figured it out. Turns out I had a Photobucket account I set up ages ago to sell a Suzuki :)

I posted pics and story in Racing.

stan
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by stan »

the thing we all forget about racing in any form is WHO we are racing against :poke ????

Most often it turns out to be yourself you have been chasing all along :oops: , as long as you can keep improving :banana , it really dosn't matter who it is up front :2cents

it took me three years to work this out :shock , once i accepted i was my main compitition, i went faster, more consistantly, and guess what, i stopped crashing simply because i stopped chasing guys i wasn't racing against :cheers (got to chat that bloke on the GSXR, if i can catch him i'll get past and i'll be a champ...........WRONG!!!!!)

i will keep an eye out for Caravaner's Monthly, i don't own a caravan, but any info is good info

stan
Motorcycling, it's a participation sport!!

kiwi60
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by kiwi60 »

Gidday MikeSS, and welcome to the forum.

As the others have said, you'll find a wealth of knowledge here, and the archives are also well worth having a look through.

Over here in NZ, Lyle and I have a few rules that we race by:

1. The fast guys are going to win - we're not the fast guys.

2. If you don't fall off - it's a good days racing.

3. If you don't blow the bike up - it's a good days racing.

4. If it starts to rain, look at the back wheel of the bike in front of you (there's always a bike in front of you - refer to #1), if you see a wet strip on the tire, put you hand up, get off the racing line, and make your way back to the pits - that way your there for the next race and not picking up thr pieces.

We'll be over in 2011 for PI and BS Memorial, so I look forward to swapping some paint with you.

Just a thought - have you sorted the suspension out with an Ohlins (or similar) shock, plus a full professional set up and re-valve for your forks - this will be the best money you ever invest in your bike if you haven't done so already.

All the best.
“I venture not to cross that finish line in a neat, tidy well ordered bundle, but to slide across it sideways in a shower of spark’s, leaking oil, hissing steam shouting ..Geronimo !!!!! “

2005 SV996R SOLD
1988 FZR750/1040 race bike SOLD
1988 FZR750/1000 - the next project CHANGING THE LOOK AGAIN, BUT STILL ON THE ROAD
Now he's got a KAWASAKI!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nope - Sold that one too
Dang - he’s got a Triumph now :o

Mike_SS
Veteran Poster

Post by Mike_SS »

stan wrote:as long as you can keep improving
Yeah that's why I got into it. I am interested in the science of it as well as the thrill. :) Looking forward to getting enough track time to try different things for me and the bike.

Oh, and the caravan reference, sorry it was a Queensland injoke. Comes from way back when Hervey Bay was a popular holiday destination for caravaners :)
kiwi60 wrote:We'll be over in 2011 for PI and BS Memorial
2011? Wow I can't plan that far ahead :) I will be trying to get to the BS memorial in 2010. A few guys from up here went down this year and had a blast.

The first thing I did with the bike was had the fork internals worked over, Ohlins springs and lots of Race Tech bits. I am using the original rear shock but with some internals changed and a lighter spring. (I am a bit of a feather weight). The suspension mods cost me half as much as the bike did when I first bought it! With the track time I have had so far I can't fault the suspension. I am looking forward to more fine tuning :)

kiwi60
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by kiwi60 »

The suspension mods cost me half as much as the bike did when I first bought it!
Yep, that sounds about right, but money invested in the right place.

I had a look to the post of your lowside / barrel roll - ouch!!!

My riding style is exactly the same as yours was - pretty much planted on the seat even though I thought I was moving about like Rossi.

I've tried to relearn and hang off the bike a lot more, but to tell the truth it actually slowed me down a lot and just wasn't comfortable (something to do with being short for my weight), so I went back to my old style of riding and promptly beat all the hangers off.
Riding style really comes down to what works for you.

We sometimes get John Surtees & Agostini here at a big classic meeting once a year, and they have a very sit on it and steer it style, and very few racers manage to get past them.

What ever works...

Roll on 2011
“I venture not to cross that finish line in a neat, tidy well ordered bundle, but to slide across it sideways in a shower of spark’s, leaking oil, hissing steam shouting ..Geronimo !!!!! “

2005 SV996R SOLD
1988 FZR750/1040 race bike SOLD
1988 FZR750/1000 - the next project CHANGING THE LOOK AGAIN, BUT STILL ON THE ROAD
Now he's got a KAWASAKI!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nope - Sold that one too
Dang - he’s got a Triumph now :o

thunderaceDan
Veteran Poster

Post by thunderaceDan »

HI :welcome
NOT NOW CHIEF IAM IN THE ZONE

spook
Dolphin-headed purple plasma TLR thing?

Post by spook »

Told you they are good guys... And girls :)

So I guess you will be bolting the old modded forks straight back up? Would have been funny after the session talking to the flag marshals... Has anyone seen an emulator?

And then the fight started.... :)