Question for Aussies/Zealanders

Got something you want to say but don't know where else to say it? This is the spot to post it!
FZRDude
Co-Admin

Question for Aussies/Zealanders

Post by FZRDude »

What the heck is Vegemite? I understand that it has been a staple of your country for almost 90 years, but what is it?
There are some who call me........Tim?
In Memory Of John "Silver" Douglas (Dec. 08, 2008) R.I.P. My Friend.

:wave: :popcorn :cursing :super-mad

sweekster
Regular Poster

Post by sweekster »

Straight from Wikipedia...

"Vegemite is a dark brown food paste made from yeast extract, used mainly as a spread on sandwiches, toast and cracker biscuits, as well as a filling of pastries like Cheesymite scroll, in Australia. It is similar to British and New Zealand Marmite and to Swiss Cenovis.

Vegemite is made from leftover brewers' yeast extract, a by-product of beer manufacturing, and various vegetable and spice additives. The taste may be described as salty, slightly bitter, and malty — somewhat similar to the taste of beef bouillon. The texture is smooth and sticky, much like peanut butter. It is not as intensely flavoured as British Marmite and it is less sweet than the New Zealand version of Marmite.

Vegemite is popular with many Australians, who commonly consider it a national food and a cultural icon. It can be found in shops around the world, particularly where there are large populations of Australian expatriates. Vegemite has not been successfully marketed in other countries, apart from New Zealand and to a lesser extent in the United Kingdom, and has failed to catch on in the United States, despite being owned by US food company Kraft Foods. When seen in the United States, the Vegemite label often does not contain the Kraft logo."

Wiki

Some of our members from the region should be able to enlighten us further.
Duane...
1994 Yamaha FZR 1000 EXUP
Factory Pro Stage 1 Jetting | K&N Filter | Corbin Seat | ProTek Keyless Gas Cap | GSXR Mirrors
My Thread

FZRDude
Co-Admin

Post by FZRDude »

So it's a beef cheese whiz??? LOL
There are some who call me........Tim?
In Memory Of John "Silver" Douglas (Dec. 08, 2008) R.I.P. My Friend.

:wave: :popcorn :cursing :super-mad

duke22
Veteran Poster

Post by duke22 »

What is cheese whiz???
Vegemite spread on toast is the perfect thing to go with your morning cup of tea (another thing you don't seem to have in the US!) and it is used to spice up bland sandwiches in cheap lunch bars. It can also be used in cooking to flavour up stews and the like and no doubt there are plenty of other cooking tips others can share with you.
Fair to say its a bit of an acquired taste but kids are brought up on it in this part of the world. Its supposed to be very good for you, full of vitamins and minerals and stuff. I suspect the association with brewing is why its so popular in Australia and New Zealand -we do a lot of brewing.....

Mike_SS
Veteran Poster

Post by Mike_SS »

Vegemite spread on toast is the perfect thing
Just having mine now :)

The original ads for it also coined the phrase "happy little vegemite" which is what I will be when I get my bike going again. :)

stan
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by stan »

it's so very hard to explain, it just lives their in the cupboard, you get it out without thought and spread it on your toast, sometimes even placeing a piece of cheese on top and wack it under the griller........mmmm Vegimite cheese toastie

What it is and what its made from, i don't dare ask, i just let the magic happen

stan
Last edited by stan on Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Motorcycling, it's a participation sport!!

YZFRob
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by YZFRob »

duke22 wrote:What is cheese whiz???
Cheese whiz is basically whipped cheese in an aerosol can. Kinda like whipped creme.

Last I heard the US FDA has banned importation of v-mite. My usual sources for it doesnt carry it anymore. Thats the reason they got. Still can get my Crunchie bars and Smarties from there.

Now if they only can carry VB I'll be happy as a kipper on a cracker. :P
YZFRob

spook
Dolphin-headed purple plasma TLR thing?

Post by spook »

You wont like it :)

willi
Veteran Poster

Post by willi »

89 FZR1000
07 CBR1000RR
07 HYOSUNG COMET 250R
Image http://www.freshfm.com.au/

kiwi60
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by kiwi60 »

:) :) Well done willi, but why does Australia need to have a census on vegemite use?

Marmite is the only way to go in my house :banana :banana
“I venture not to cross that finish line in a neat, tidy well ordered bundle, but to slide across it sideways in a shower of spark’s, leaking oil, hissing steam shouting ..Geronimo !!!!! “

2005 SV996R SOLD
1988 FZR750/1040 race bike SOLD
1988 FZR750/1000 - the next project CHANGING THE LOOK AGAIN, BUT STILL ON THE ROAD
Now he's got a KAWASAKI!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nope - Sold that one too
Dang - he’s got a Triumph now :o