Stepped triple treeeees

Got something you want to say but don't know where else to say it? This is the spot to post it!
Yoniboi
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Stepped triple treeeees

Post by Yoniboi »

OK,

I have some mint 2009 GSXR1000 forks with radial brakes and they were gonna go on the Spondon but I've decided to keep it as is, you know, so they're just sitting there gathering dust, and the EXUP's due a face lift, so....

(Also got a new rear ally sub frame, plastics etc but that'll be another post).

Question is, I don't want to spend a billion on hand made stepped triples, and as most all USD forks are now standard dims top and bottom triple wise, I wonder if any of you know of, off hand, a model of bike (any make) which has the top triple clamp stepped down (in a bit of an upside down U shape, you know, to raise the steering head height) so I can source one from eBay.

Cheers
J
If you're going to take a shot at me let me know so I can duck...!

sickle44
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by sickle44 »

Sorry John,

But said item does not exist accept within the confines of our imaginations and a hunk of billet, but apparently it should only be somewhere in between 2 and 4 hundred dollars. At least that's what I've come to understand thus far from my own build.

Unless of course you somehow miraculously come across one already made up that would fit as well, in which case.........?????
Michael
Yes Yes I know, I said, I'm building a project YZF1070

Basement is done now, 850 finished and gone...
Gotta get the new siding up on the house.
Fixing the FZ1 up, cleaning up garage and then I might even begin

Hooligan
Site Admin

Post by Hooligan »

the early version of the aprilia mille has "stepped" triples, but i can't recall if they step down or up...
Jason, aka: Hooligan
1994 YZF750-R
1996 YZF750-R
2003 Bonneville T100

Yoniboi
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by Yoniboi »

Cheers Hooli,

I'll look into that.
Thanks.

hagasannori
Regular Poster

Post by hagasannori »

Hi
some of the latest cbr 900 and I think the holes fit strait to the legs

Hagasannori

Yoniboi
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by Yoniboi »

I'll check that out too.
Thanks

Hooligan
Site Admin

Post by Hooligan »

yoni,

search ebay (u.s) for this item number: 290281894789

it's the upper triple from a 2003 Aprilia Mille R with ohlins. the ohlins have upper diameters of 50mm, and lowers are 54mm. not sure what pitch and offset numbers the aprilia runs. this is the version that steps down.
Jason, aka: Hooligan
1994 YZF750-R
1996 YZF750-R
2003 Bonneville T100

Yoniboi
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by Yoniboi »

Cheers Hooli,

The only one I've found in Europe is this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Aprillia-RSV-Mill ... 286.c0.m14 which isn't the same year but looks like the same part. Seen from the side it's stepped at the top but not the bottom, which kind of defeats the object of what I'm trying to do....

I'll keep looking locally for a 2003 to see if it is, in fact, different from the 2000

Cheers
John

spook
Dolphin-headed purple plasma TLR thing?

Post by spook »

Aprilia RS250 also has a stepped clamp...

As does the CBR929

Yoniboi
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by Yoniboi »

The CBR929 triples look perfect.
I'll get myself down to a breakers in the city and check them out.

Thanks everyone, what would I do without you??????

spook

Post by spook »

I re-read your post re: stepped lowers. Would be rare to find such a thing. Are you needing to raise the front?

Yoniboi
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by Yoniboi »

No, you just re-read something unclearly written (I'd make a lousy tech-manual writer) and got the wrong idea... I wanted to say that the RSV TOP triple was stepped on the upside but not on the underside, hence it looked like it would do the job, but it wouldn't because if you want to keep the head bearings at the same height using a shorter fork the top triple has to step down below the level of the bearings... the RSV one didn't, it was level.

The CBR option obviously does just that, but from the photo I can't see by how much! That's why I need to go to a breakers and put it on a flat surface and measure. I reckon I need at least 2cm. (The GSXR forks are 35mm shorter than the Fizzer's).

Next question is:
By raising the arse up with shorter dog-bones (done) and dropping the forks 15mm (GSXR forks with stepped triple) will that take the rake from 26.75º to 24º as per the plan....

spook

Post by spook »

No Idea what your doing, but here's some suzi info courtesy of Sam from the TLZone... Scroll down a bit

http://www.tlzone.net/forums/tl1000s-tl ... dated.html

If you need the cbr measured pm me. Cheers

Yoniboi
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by Yoniboi »

What am I doing???
You asked for it, well OK you didn't, but going on about it should provide some motivation to get off my arse and do something with the bits I've been compiling....

My '90 FZR1K is scruffy, bought cheap, spent a fortune on the engine, fitted an Ohlins, dogbones, radial brake master and good tyres and started trying to make it good for distance work. It's still scruffy and heavy but it flys.

Two years, SV650 bars machined, raised seat, Yoshi adjustable rearsets and a 5000km trip through the Alps later and I can honestly say that for my lanky frame it's still crippling...

Apart from that, side winds in France nearly lifted the bike off it's wheels three times in two hours, and generally shit me up during two days of blustery weather so...

I'm modding the bodywork, going for a handlebar, and giving her a face lift front to back.

As such, by next spring she'll have:
a) GSXR1000K8 fork and either stock K8 wheel or Braking's new wheel & disks... http://www.bikehps.com/acatalog/Braking_Wheels.html
b) Handlebars, not clip-ons. I want to be able to do 1000km and still feel my nuts when I get off, that and be able to read the map on the tank bag.
c) The nose fairing will be narrowed top to bottom, and raised to cover completely the frame rails where the air ducts go, like the Honda CB1300 http://www.honda-montesa.es/modelos/CB1300S/index.html but keeping the twin round headlights so it doesn't look like a CB, the lower part of the fairing will be gone but I'm considering a belly pan. I've already got a higher screen fitted which is perfect in the position I want to achieve.
d) Fuel tank is YZF but remodelled so the front is squarer and flatter.
e) Subchassis and tail plastics from a GSXR1000K2 (I like the rounded look, it suits the FZR better than later more angular units).
f) Can't decide on whether to use a YZF swingarm or not.

With wheels, losing part of the fairing, ally sub-chassis and lighter seats and tail plastics I should be able to get somewhere near 210kg with half a tank of gas.

If I could use photoshop I'd do a mock-up but I know what I want to achieve in my head.

hotcam
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by hotcam »

:popcorn :popcorn
-------
'95 FZR1040 '09 FZ1-S
"And they had a machine, a dream of a machine, with wheels and gears and perfect in every respect, and they lived on it..." -Stanislaw Lem, "Cyberiad"

sickle44
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by sickle44 »

Yes those kinds of stepped triples do exist,
However, I guess I was thinking that John was looking for the same type of stepped triples that I may be needing myself which will have much more drastic of a step; hence the reason I was thinking it would have been a custom only job. I was thinking I'd need a large enough step that the clipons would mount to the fork tubes overtop the triple clamp. Don't hate me cause I'm beautiful!!

Although I haven't done any measuring or anything other than acquiring all the parts, except for the triples, and thinking it over in my head a gazillion times. Perhaps I won't have to go full custom and will be able to pull it off with one of the suggested triples, without having to pay an arm and a c*ck for a junk of billet? then again, how much are a set of modern Aprillia clamps going to run a guy, and it's not like there are a tonne of them floating around the wreckers like GSXR's.
Michael
Yes Yes I know, I said, I'm building a project YZF1070

Basement is done now, 850 finished and gone...
Gotta get the new siding up on the house.
Fixing the FZ1 up, cleaning up garage and then I might even begin

spook

Post by spook »

Thanks, now I sort have got a pic in my head, sounds like a well thought out plan... We need photo's you know Yoni.... If you need any measurements off the CB1300, let me know as I have one here atm. Cheers :)

FZRDude
Co-Admin

Post by FZRDude »

Spook,

I'd be interested in the step measurement of the 929's triple if it isn't too much of a problem....
There are some who call me........Tim?
In Memory Of John "Silver" Douglas (Dec. 08, 2008) R.I.P. My Friend.

:wave: :popcorn :cursing :super-mad

spook

Post by spook »

FZRDude wrote:I'd be interested in the step measurement of the 929's triple
Dude, the step, best I can measure is about 16.5mm. That's from the center top of the casting to the outer top of the casting at the fork. Fork diam. is 50 at the top triple, and 54 at he bottom clamp. Fork centers 214mm, Center nut 24mm. Cheers!

FZRDude
Co-Admin

Post by FZRDude »

Nice, thank you!!!!
There are some who call me........Tim?
In Memory Of John "Silver" Douglas (Dec. 08, 2008) R.I.P. My Friend.

:wave: :popcorn :cursing :super-mad