Hard start (no start) when wet

Want the specs for a valve adjustment? Can you provide tips for bleeding brakes? Please use this section.
Akira
New Poster

Hard start (no start) when wet

Post by Akira »

I left my bike outside and there was some serious rain this afternoon. I've tried to start, no luck. I left it for about 1-2 hours in the sun, it's ok now. <br>Is this normal or should I check something?<br><br>Thanks guys! <p></p><i></i>

flyingcircus68
Veteran Poster

Re: Hard start (no start) when wet

Post by flyingcircus68 »

You probably have an ignition problem.<br>1.Make sure you're not running resistive plugs and the gaps are within spec.<br>2.check the resistance of your plug caps and compare it to the values in the shop manual.<br>3. check the secondary resistance of your coils.<br>4. make sure there are no splits or cracks in the wires and rubber boots on the plug caps.<br>that should take care of the problem. If it persists start looking for corroded primary wiring running to and from the coils.<br><br>Paul <p></p><i></i>

LC130LOAD1
New Poster

info

Post by LC130LOAD1 »

If your bike sits out in the weather on a regular basis then what has probably happened is one of the following. The contacts in the starter button switch are corroded, the contacts in the "on-off" switch have corroded or the contacts in the ignition switch have corroded.<br>By them getting wet (moisture) they were grounded. When they dried out then they worked.<br>If it is one of the two switches you can take it apart and clean it up. At some point in time you will probably have to replace the bad switch.<br>If it is the ignition switch you are going to have to replace the switch.<br> <p></p><i></i>

ChuckD
Veteran Poster

Switches

Post by ChuckD »

Also check kickstand switch and clutch cancel switch, sometimes they shoty and cut power to starter.<br>CHUCK D. <p></p><i></i>

LC130LOAD1
New Poster

info

Post by LC130LOAD1 »

Good catch ChuckD.<br>I unplug the kickstand nanny switch on my bikes.<br> <p></p><i></i>

flyingcircus68
Veteran Poster

Re: info

Post by flyingcircus68 »

I interpreted the problem to be a ignition problem and not a starter system problem. The reference to the kickstand switch is right on the money. Its in a vulnerable area and is prone to cause problems. Another problem area is the plug for the ignition switch. It carries a high current load and a little corrosion here is a seed to what eventually grows into a melt down. I had to replace mine with a molex connector. It would die out for no apparent reason and then start up easily a little bit later. <p></p><i></i>

Akira
New Poster

Re: info

Post by Akira »

It's an ignition problem, the starter works fine, turns the engine, but it can't start normally, just turns. <p></p><i></i>

LC130LOAD1
New Poster

info

Post by LC130LOAD1 »

More info, it always helps.<br><br>It sounds like water is getting into something in your ignition system and shorting something out.<br><br>I doubt it is anywhere under the tank or the black box, however, if you don't use a chain guard and ride in the rain you will kick up a lot of water in that area.<br><br>Another thing you may want to check is to see if the fuel pump is pumping when you first turn the key on and if you can see fuel filling the fuel filter.<br><br>I have been the victim of endless troubleshooting looking for ignition problems when it turned out to be a fuel delivery problem.<br><br>Good luck! <p></p><i></i>