Overcharging? Are ~14.5V normal or is it too much?

Want the specs for a valve adjustment? Can you provide tips for bleeding brakes? Please use this section.
Akira
New Poster

Overcharging? Are ~14.5V normal or is it too much?

Post by Akira »

I recently checked the water level in the battery and it was low. After adding some distilled water, I measured the voltages:<br><br>engine off - 13.5V<br>engine on, idle - 14.2, 14.3V<br>engine high RPM, lights on - 14.5, 14,8V<br><br>Should I be worried? If there's a problem, can I fix it myself?<br><br>My bikes is a '88 FZR 1000. <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub28.ezboard.com/bexupbrotherho ... d>Akira</A> at: 7/8/03 9:22 am<br></i>

cterror
Veteran Poster

Re: Overcharging? Are ~14.5V normal or is it too much?

Post by cterror »

that should be the normal charging.<br>The same amount is normal for cars also. You dont need to worry <p></p><i></i>

LC130LOAD1
New Poster

info

Post by LC130LOAD1 »

The Fizzer line of bikes is notorious for frying batteries.<br>My 90 FZR1000 fried two. There were no problems with the charging system.<br>I went to a sealed gel-cell battery and never had another servicing related problem with the battery. <p></p><i></i>

cterror
Veteran Poster

Re: info

Post by cterror »

actually I think that your battery voltage is about the right 12volts, but a quick measuring will not give you the right result as you cant very well measure it with load. the main thing is that charging should not at any time be under 12,5volts and not above 15. If you want to try it, swich on your lights... the voltage will drop significantly. I have not gotten any problems with yzf electrics but I know a lot of Honda people complaining about charging regulators not lasting for long <p></p><i></i>

ChuckD
Veteran Poster

Charging

Post by ChuckD »

Just thought that I would throw in that most bikes don't charge below 3,000 RPM<br><br>CHUCK D. <p></p><i></i>

Thermicman
New Poster

FZR 1000 Gel battery

Post by Thermicman »

To LC130 LOAD1, please could you let me know what model no. the Gel battery was that you fitted and did you have to mod any of the wiring (i.e. swop the red and black main wires over from one side to the other to meet up with the new battery terminals) or the battery compartment? Thanks <p></p><i></i>

LC130LOAD1
New Poster

info

Post by LC130LOAD1 »

Yuasa YTX14AHL-BS<br>Straight swap.<br> <p></p><i></i>