Exhaust Bending

Want the specs for a valve adjustment? Can you provide tips for bleeding brakes? Please use this section.
mkerocket1984
Regular Poster

Exhaust Bending

Post by mkerocket1984 »

This is probably the dumbest question ever as I probably already know the answer, but I need confirmation. I just purchased a VERY NICE Italian exhuast from a guy in europe. He said he bought it for his 91 FZR1000, but it wouldn't fit do to "cylinder lean angle/oil in basement" and said the pipe would work on an older version. Seeing as how he didn't speak the best english, I was figuring that he meant that the head pipes wouldn't go around the oil filter do to cylinder lean angle (one might think the pipe must have been made for the 87-88 1000 as the cylinders lean/clearences are different). I just got the pipe today and turns out it is for the 89-95 and chromed, not stainless as it looked in the pics. However, the exhaust is a hand made 4-2-1 racing pipe with each individual head pipe running into a 4-2 collecter w/crossover. Anybody who has a genny knows that pipes for the 87-88 are extremely difficult to find, let alone a hand made race pipe (at a good price). So my question is this: can I take the head pipes to an exhaust bender and have them bent/unbent the additional angle required to make them work. My thought is no, since they are chrome plated, and being that chrome is a electro-plating process, when the pipe is bent, the chrome would flake off revealing the steel beneath. If this isn't possible, does anyone know roughly how much it would be to get about 6 ft of mild steel (grade recommendations?) bent and chromed? Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Casey
1990 FZR 400
Racetech Springs and Emulator Cartridges
R6 Rear Shock Swap with adjustable rear ride height/geometry
Woodcraft Rearsets w/GP shift (convertible to standard shift)
Hindle full 4-1 exhaust
Jetted Carburetors
520 Chain/Sprocket Conversion
NRC racing engine covers

2006 GSXR 750
Akrapovic Slip On

2009 Yamaha R1
WoodCraft Rearsets, Clipons, Case Covers
Catalyst Racing Composites Fairings
Jett-Tuning ECU
Akrapovic Exhaust

dragracer1951
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by dragracer1951 »

Ok Man....I'm gonna tell ya what I know about bending tubes....
Fill em with sand. Wet sand. Wet packed sand...
You of course have a mandrel....
I use some dies I made up and stick em in my 50 ton press and that works a treat
If I was going to do pipes, and I am...I'd do em out of stainless, and weld em up with tig...
But that's just me
Cripes I have way too many projects
Jim

Hey Kid...
Is my tail light still working?

"...you can't tune a motor that's hurt. They run much faster on fuel then they do on aluminum." - Elmer Trett

Hooligan
Site Admin

Post by Hooligan »

titanium/stainless exup system, jim?

;)
Jason, aka: Hooligan
1994 YZF750-R
1996 YZF750-R
2003 Bonneville T100