Brakes

Want the specs for a valve adjustment? Can you provide tips for bleeding brakes? Please use this section.
aidybest
New Poster

Brakes

Post by aidybest »

Reading old reports on the braking system - particularly the rear brakes - hadnt noticed reeally until I read about it

The brakes although new are definately pants - like a slowing locomotive best describes it

Whats the best option - I aint going to piddle about with it until after the season -as if I cock it up now - I couldnt stand being off the road - whilst everyone else is having a whale of a time. also gives me a chance to raid the wifes purse in slow time so that daft b!tch won't notice !!!!!!

FZRDude
Co-Admin

Post by FZRDude »

The only time I use the rear is a little direction change/trail braking or sitting at a light.

Hooligan is talking about doing a group buy into a new rear setup for the YZF750 that to some degree should be compatible with the FZR1000. Check out the YZF750 section.
There are some who call me........Tim?
In Memory Of John "Silver" Douglas (Dec. 08, 2008) R.I.P. My Friend.

:wave: :popcorn :cursing :super-mad

djalbin
Smilies Run Amok

Post by djalbin »

The effective yet inexpensive upgrade is to install steel braided brake lines (front and rear) and install HH sintered brake pads up front. Then bleed brake system (front and rear) with fresh brake fluid.
Don
1994 FZR1000
Tucson, AZ

ozzyfzr
Veteran Poster

Post by ozzyfzr »

Aren't FZR rear Caliper on top of the swinger and YZF's underneath? Brake torque arm will be required or modding the swinger!

Best solution is strip and clean existing set-up new piston seals in both master and slave. Braided lines and a good old bleed!

Mine is 20yrs old and still stops real well, both ends lock up and smoke tyres, I know as I did it the other weekend when I had a momentary lapse of concentration!

FZRDude
Co-Admin

Post by FZRDude »

ozzyfzr wrote:Aren't FZR rear Caliper on top of the swinger and YZF's underneath? Brake torque arm will be required or modding the swinger! ...
Yes that is correct (I asked the same question). The principal willl be the same, but the major difference is axle diameter.

ozzyfzr
Veteran Poster

Post by ozzyfzr »

me and my mate were talking about this set-up the other day, 1 of the questions raised was torque reaction of the swingarm. Would a fzr1000 arm take the torque loading on the underside of the swinger giving that it was designed to take it on the top!

different location, different forces, without doing finite element analysis through some engineering programme, I for one will not do a suck it and see excerise.

Ok it's a bloody big arm and all that, but work out the forces involved when trying to retard something that weighs 180kg without rider from 100+mph. Then look at the size of a YZF swinger, bracing is for torsional stiffness and some!

Just my :2cents

FZRDude
Co-Admin

Post by FZRDude »

I have both torque bars. 1 off the FZR and 1 off the YZF. Personally, I cannot tell a difference. When I get home tonight I'll try and measure each.

KontoBoy
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by KontoBoy »

My initial thought is that moving the torsion arm from the top of the swingarm to the bottom changes the force on the arm from a bending/deforming force to a shearing/tearing force. I would think it would take considerably more force to sheer the arm than it would to deform it.

My second thought is that long before you get to the force required to either bend or shear your arm your rear tire will lose traction, limiting the force on the arm.

Given those limits a "suck it and see" engineering prototype would fall into my acceptable safety zone.

Kontoboy

FZRDude
Co-Admin

Post by FZRDude »

Image what Konto said.... :banana

ozzyfzr
Veteran Poster

Post by ozzyfzr »

I agree that 1 type is in compression and the other in tension, and the torque arm itself is quite similar if not the same, but you missed my point! it is the anchorage point and it's forces applied to the swinger I was worried about, tearing off the mounting as tension forces are harder to brace.

Hope this clears any confusion, but go ahead and try it, it may not break off at the mounting! (ya just welded on)

Regards
Ozzyfzr

FZRDude
Co-Admin

Post by FZRDude »

The amout of torsion/tension would be the same, just a different direction.

On the FZR (top) it is pushing the mounting point, on the YZF (bottom) it is pulling.

The only concern I would have would be the quality of the weld itself and since it would be my brother-in-law doing the welding, I'd have no concerns.

Hooligan
Site Admin

Post by Hooligan »

the brake kit i have drawn up is based on the yzf750. however, with very little work i do believe that it will work on the 1000 and be located in the stock location (above swingarm). once i am moved into the new place i'll have someone send me some spare 1000 bits so i can mod the drawings.
Jason, aka: Hooligan
1994 YZF750-R
1996 YZF750-R
2003 Bonneville T100

dragracer1951
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by dragracer1951 »

Actually, The arm in tension will have a couple % more force applied to it. Not anything to get excited about.
What it WILL do however is to help to load the swingarm during braking
Jim

Hey Kid...
Is my tail light still working?

"...you can't tune a motor that's hurt. They run much faster on fuel then they do on aluminum." - Elmer Trett