Looking for recommendation on chain tool

Want the specs for a valve adjustment? Can you provide tips for bleeding brakes? Please use this section.
fe911
Veteran Poster

chain breaker

Post by fe911 »

I bought a motion pro chain breaker, and it broke the first time I used it! Now I just gring the rivets off till both are clean and smooth- maybe a little extra. Stick a screwdriver in between and pop the outer plate off. Takes no time at all. Chain breakers and pins are a waste of money. A good rivet spreader tool is worth it's weight in gold!!!!
94 YZF750r
'98 yzf750r
95 YZF750SP

silver
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Re: chain breaker

Post by silver »

fe911 wrote:I bought a motion pro chain breaker, and it broke the first time I used it! Now I just gring the rivets off till both are clean and smooth- maybe a little extra. Stick a screwdriver in between and pop the outer plate off. Takes no time at all. Chain breakers and pins are a waste of money. A good rivet spreader tool is worth it's weight in gold!!!!
Do you do this on a cam chain as well ?

barneyfzr600
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by barneyfzr600 »

Just cut the chain! That is if you are replacing the chain & sprockets.
Woot, I had a FZR1K.................now I got a '02 R1, but still lookin for the right EXUP......

silver
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by silver »

dragracer1951 wrote:I'm doing a run of 530 chain pins or the Motion Pro tool. They are made from A2 tool Steel. They will come off the machine the morning and go in the heat treat oven after that. I think I'll make about 30 of them. This is just the pin to press the pins apart. I can make riveters as well...but this is just the pin that everyone breaks.
I'll look at number's in the morning and have a price. I'm thinking about $20. There is quite a bit of work involved
Jim, did you ever make a riveter for this as well ? Yeah the Motion Pro one I have is bent. Imagine that !

silver
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by silver »

barneyfzr600 wrote:Just cut the chain! That is if you are replacing the chain & sprockets.
Barney we're not always replacing things. Not always ! But I get your point as well. I just used a grinder to grind the master link all the way off. Now that took a little time but it did work. Just a challenge holding a bench grinder sideways !

dragracer1951
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by dragracer1951 »

Yes, I made 20 pins for the 530 press. Tool steel and heat treated.
$17.50 delivered to your door by a smiling postel worker.
Jim

Hey Kid...
Is my tail light still working?

"...you can't tune a motor that's hurt. They run much faster on fuel then they do on aluminum." - Elmer Trett

KontoBoy
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by KontoBoy »

I got mine--nice hard anondized. Now I just need a new MP chain tool to go with it.

Kontoboy