Triple trees compatibility

Want the specs for a valve adjustment? Can you provide tips for bleeding brakes? Please use this section.
Yoniboi
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Triple trees compatibility

Post by Yoniboi »

Hello there all,

Been ages since I was on here, mostly 'cos I lost interest in my EXUP project half way through, and that mostly due to my inability to source parts without paying an arm and a leg from breakers at the end of last summer.

Then the snowboard season was upon us, and then I've been racing the MTB so only now, when the summer has finally arrived have I got my EXUP act back together again.

So, in the end I got some triples (for a late model EXUP 1000) from a breaker in the UK, ready to take the GSXR1000K8 forks I picked up, but because the forks are shorter I had the threads re-machined on the stem to take the bearing nut and lock nut above the top triple rather than below it, thus raising the headstock 17mm.

Only when I come to stick the forks in to see how the discs are gonna line up do I realise they've sold me a mis-match. The bottom half plus stem is YZF750 and the top half is FZR1000 late model, and they're not the same c/c. Arse!

Now I've had the bloody thing machined, I'm tempted to keep the YZF bottom half and source a YZF top, but I seem to remember from ages ago that the YZF steerer won't work in an FZR frame.

Can anyone confirm that, if it's true, and tell me what the difference is? ... (it would be easier machining the bearing faces for example, than buying another lower and having that stem machined again).

Thanks for all your help, and it's been nice catching up on your threads since the autumn (read: fall) :)

John
If you're going to take a shot at me let me know so I can duck...!