Genesis vs Exup blocks??

Want the specs for a valve adjustment? Can you provide tips for bleeding brakes? Please use this section.
spook
Dolphin-headed purple plasma TLR thing?

Post by spook »

That's the reason we are here Kiwi :)

weiner127
Regular Poster

Post by weiner127 »

So another question then, do you think a stock exup block with stock exup pistons will work on my mutant genesis bottom end. I'm just trying to find a solution that will alow me to use this built bottom end without tearing apart.
85 FZ750/1040 ongoing frustration!
88 FZR1000 Streetfighter in progress

spook
Dolphin-headed purple plasma TLR thing?

Post by spook »

Should do. It has the same stroke as the Ex-up, the genesis was 989cc and the Ex-up 1002cc.

Just check the blocks are the same height.

duke22
Veteran Poster

Post by duke22 »

Remember to use Exup rods... Exup pistons have a different diameter piston pin compared to Genesis.

weiner127
Regular Poster

Post by weiner127 »

duke22 wrote:Remember to use Exup rods... Exup pistons have a different diameter piston pin compared to Genesis.
Thats what has me in this mess in the first place, someone before me used Exup rods in this genesis motor with 1040 pistons. Anyways I bought a used rough FZR and used that stock engine to get my FZ together for now so I'm just looking for options to repair the other engine
85 FZ750/1040 ongoing frustration!
88 FZR1000 Streetfighter in progress

duke22
Veteran Poster

Post by duke22 »

Thats what has me in this mess in the first place
Sorry should have realised that!

I had a look at a spare Genesis 1000 block, as far as I can see the Genesis and Exup blocks are dimensionally the same. You could use standard exup pistons in an exup block or in a Genesis block (overbored to 75.5mm from 75). If you want to use your 1040 77mm pistons best get an exup block. Either way when you assemble it check your compression and valve-piston clearances carefully.

I have a spare Genesis block if you can use it but sorry don't have a spare exup block. I have some spare Genesis rods as well, so if you want you could take it back to standard. Genesis rods use the same bearings as the exup and I think (though I haven't tried it) you can change the rods out without splitting the cases.