head work (chuckD, must read!!!)

Want the specs for a valve adjustment? Can you provide tips for bleeding brakes? Please use this section.
bikeazoid
New Poster

head work (chuckD, must read!!!)

Post by bikeazoid »

im starting work on my seccond motor, the motor that sucked a quart of oil each few hundred miles. anyhoo, i wanted to port and do a three angle valve job, i was going to send it out, but a buddie was telling me, i can do allot of the work via a dremmel. <br><br>he said that its pretty easy to pull the valves (with a spring depressor i assume) and the porting is just cleaning up the burrs, and straightening a little. he stated that the part that i couldnt do would be the valve seals, and the valve job it self.<br><br>my question, is, assuming im not trying to build an r1 killer, and i would like to do it, and am pretty mechanically apt, is this a path that leads to 30 hours of work then an alluminum paper weight? or is my friend onto something??<br><br>zoid<br><br>p.s. i got my 97 yzf750 shock yesterday (free) now i start the shimm process. ill let you fellas know how that goes. <p></p><i></i>

DrFox
New Poster

Re: head work (chuckD, must read!!!)

Post by DrFox »

This is exactly what I did to mine a few months ago!<br>Obviously you`ll be fitting new rings as well? It was pretty easy to clean up the ports with a Dremmel, I also matched the inlet manifolds to the ports, all I did was just take out any casting swarf and knife edged the inlets, then lapped in the valves and fitted new oil seals. It was pretty easy although I couldnt get a small enough valve spring compressor so I welded a reducer onto a standard car type one. You`ll do it over a weekend without too much trouble. <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub28.ezboard.com/bexupbrotherho ... x>DrFox</A> at: 8/11/02 6:40:52 am<br></i>

bikeazoid
New Poster

Re: head work (chuckD, must read!!!)

Post by bikeazoid »

thanks, i was thinking of sending the head out to lap the valves, and replace the seals, or can i do this also??? did you notice a power gain??? did you have to rejet again??? did you do any polishing????? yes i was going to do the rings also.<br><br>thanks again for the tip, please more though.<br><br>zoid <p></p><i></i>

DrFox
New Poster

Re:Lapping etc.

Post by DrFox »

If you`re a pretty competent home mechanic you should be able to do it yourself. I cleaned the ports up, but didnt polish them, I left a rough finish on them. I`ve seen a lot of debate over polishing or rough finishes and in my opinion a rough texture creates turbulance in the incoming charge, which should help to promote a better burn. Probably!!<br>I polished the combustion face of the valves and the head to try and minimise `hotspots`.<br>Lapping of the valves was also pretty straight forward although a tad tedious!<br>I havent altered the jetting and it seems to run fine but I`ve just fitted a race can so I may treat it to a dyno set-up soon.<br>It`s probably my imagination but it does seem to pull a bit stronger but considering it was using all its oil within 300 miles, it`s gotta be running much more efficiently!!<br>Make sure you have a quality manual and you should be fine, just be VERY meticulous when setting the cams up.<br>I would post a few pics of the ports but I have no idea how to! <p></p><i></i>