Oil consumption to high ?????

Want the specs for a valve adjustment? Can you provide tips for bleeding brakes? Please use this section.
henk
New Poster

Oil consumption to high ?????

Post by henk »

Hi, You all.<br><br>It's me ,Henk, again. (see 60.000 km topic)<br><br>I ran the engine for some 5.000 km's now and the oilconsumption seems to be higher than before changing the intakevalves.<br><br>I wonder why it's gone up now, I lapped al valves, changed valve stem oil seals.<br>I checked the pistonrings and they looked perfect.<br><br>I checked the sparkplugs today and they look all the same, nothing unusual.<br><br>My friend thalks about white/blue smoke when I accelerate agressively, a small burste of smoke.<br><br>The engine starts perfect and runs like perfectly.<br><br>Oilconsumpsion reaches about 1 liter at 1000 km's, it dobbeled after the valve repear.<br><br>Any help is apreceated, TIA, Henk <p></p><i></i>

DrFox
New Poster

Re: Oil consumption to high ?????

Post by DrFox »

Mine was using all it`s oil within 300miles! When I stripped it down, the bores and the rings looked perfect, but I figured as I`ve got it apart I may as well do it properly!<br>I re-honed the bores, fitted new rings and valve seals and now it doesnt use a drop of oil.<br>You must be kicking yourself now, it wouldnt have taken much to do the rings whilst you were at it but that sounds like your problem to me (unless its leaking somewhere!).<br>Best of luck to you, but it looks like your gonna have to pull it apart yet again!!! <p></p><i></i>

flyingcircus68
Veteran Poster

Re: Oil consumption to high ?????

Post by flyingcircus68 »

Dr Fox is right, the bores need honing everytime the motor comes apart. The rings have worn in and fit a certain way which you will never duplicate after disassembly. Your email sounds as if you reused the rings and if that is the case, you need to pull off the jug and rering it. <p></p><i></i>

bikeazoid
New Poster

more on that honeing thing

Post by bikeazoid »

wow, i didnt know that!!! my tight, non oil burning 90 fzr1000 needed a seccond gear, i took it to a local shop who (or couse) took it all the way down to swap the gears, and shift fork. while it was appart, i asked if i could get a light hone, and new rings. the shop tole me the cylinders look perfect!! they did the rings anyway, but didnt do the hone. <br><br>then my steed started burning oil like crazy, a quart every 200 under hard abuse, and a quart every 400 under commuting. i went back a ton, but go no resolve. i was thinking they damaged the head, but not i feel confident its the rings. does this sound right????<br><br>zoid <p></p><i></i>

henk
New Poster

hone or rebore ???????

Post by henk »

I see some logic ,in the fakt that the piston rings are worn in and by reassembling ,the rings are displaced a bit, they don't fit correctly anymore.<br><br>But, will honing and putting in new rings solve the problem or do i need to rebore and put in new pistons and rings ???????<br><br>Any idea about the costs ?<br><br>What's most likely after 60.000 kms. <p></p><i></i>

DrFox
New Poster

Re: hone or rebore ???????

Post by DrFox »

My engine had done 30,000 miles when I pulled it apart, the bores had a few very fine scores but otherwise looked perfect. Even the factory cross-hatching was clearly visible! Even so, with the engine at this stage, it seemed foolish not to re-hone. My friendly local mechanic honed it for free with a tool he fitted into an ordinary drill. I bought factory Yamaha rings which I think cost £80.<br>As to deciding between a hone or a re-bore, obviously every engine wears differently and so you`ll will need to decide on yours when its apart. Take the barrels to your local dealer and see what they say. <p></p><i></i>

flyingcircus68
Veteran Poster

Re: hone or rebore ???????

Post by flyingcircus68 »

If your bore checks in to the wear limits listed in your yamaha shop manual, then just hone and rering it. These bores will always have a slight amount of scoring from the break in; its no big deal. Its important to make sure the cylinder is not out of round beyond factory specs, or it will allways blow oil. <p></p><i></i>