are wheelies bad????

Want the specs for a valve adjustment? Can you provide tips for bleeding brakes? Please use this section.
bikeazoid
New Poster

are wheelies bad????

Post by bikeazoid »

i ride about 150 miles a day, and some times do wheelies, i used to just launch it hard from the start, and it would come up. i dont ride it, just bring it up, then down. but now, i get to a crawling pace, pull in the clutch, rev up to like 5k, fether the clutch, and gas it smoothley. <br><br>i dont do anything harsh, and the front end comes up very easly, it dosent matter if the tank is full or not. my question is, does this affect the supposidley weak clutch basket???? im pretty sure it dosent affect the tranny, since im already in gear, and i dont shift, i know the clutch will wear sooner, but thats easy, im also aware of the fork seals, and steering head bearings, i dont mind, i can fix that easy. but the clutch basket, i hear there weak, and susseptable to warpage, and whatever.<br><br>any help in calming my nearves would be helpfull.<br><br>zoid <p></p><i></i>

gnasher

wheelies

Post by gnasher »

zoid<br>after a few hard landings i was riding home and all pumped up i was catching flys at about 150 when the front wheel bearings collapsed! not a pleasent experience. <p></p><i></i>

flyingcircus68
Veteran Poster

Re: wheelies

Post by flyingcircus68 »

The clutch basket is delicate, causing chatter during hard launches. This chatter, and more importantly the shock of dumping the clutch, will fatigue the individual castellations on the basket and explode. Not very pretty. I don't believe that you could blow out your wheel bearings from dropping the front, even hard smacks, because of the cushion available from the forks and tire. I guess it could exacerbate a bearing that's ready to puke its balls. <p></p><i></i>

exupturbo
Veteran Poster

Basket

Post by exupturbo »

A stock motor can destroy a standard clutch basket and spread all the bits around the engine.<br>I know somone who has had this misfortune, engine was totalled. Bent crank, damaged cases and heaps of other stuff. If you like wheelies then buy a billet basket.<br>Mark <p></p><i></i>

bikeazoid
New Poster

billet basket

Post by bikeazoid »

ok, im sold, ill start to look for one. question on it, do i need to tear down the engine to put the clutch basket in???? im not looking forward to spliting the cases. <br><br>zoid <p></p><i></i>

DrFox
New Poster

Re: billet basket

Post by DrFox »

No need to split the cases, it`s a piece of cake to fit!! Just drain the oil, remoce the R/hand engine cover and there it is!! You will probably need a special tool to hold the basket whilst undoing the centre nut though. I bought a pattern tool from my local bike shop for about £15, I think the genuine Yamaha tool is £40ish!! It looks like a set of Mole Grips with long arms that grip the sides of the basket.<br>If you`ve got the clutch stripped, fit new friction plates and uprated springs, wheelies kill clutches!!! <p></p><i></i>

exupturbo
Veteran Poster

basket

Post by exupturbo »

<!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.tts-performance.co.uk/produc ... <!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br>These people do a billet basket in the UK for the exup.<br>You can get away without special tool by putting bike in top gear and standing on brake to remove center nut.<br>Remember to buy a new locktab before you start job.<br>The billet clutch comes with stronger "shock absorbing" springs that make it a lot less 'Grabby' and totally transforms the feel.<br>I run a billet basket, genuine plates and redline springs, no clutch slip or problems with 170@wheel.<br>Expensive, but cheaper than a new engine.<br>Happy wheelies.<br>Mark <p></p><i></i>

PJ
New Poster

Re: wheelies

Post by PJ »

[quote="flyingcircus68"]The clutch basket is delicate, causing chatter during hard launches. This chatter, and more importantly the shock of dumping the clutch, will fatigue the individual castellations on the basket and explode. Not very pretty. I don't believe that you could blow out your wheel bearings from dropping the front, even hard smacks, because of the cushion available from the forks and tire. I guess it could exacerbate a bearing that's ready to puke its balls. <p></p><i></i>[/quo

just read this post and scared me a little, my YZF750 has a bot of chatter at low revs when taking off (only slow starts) should i be worried?

FZRDude
Co-Admin

Post by FZRDude »

It really is a simple task (make sure that you have a new lock washer and possibly a new gasket) to remove the basket and inspect it. Total time (doing it on the side stand) last time was about 1-1.5 hrs. apart and back together.
There are some who call me........Tim?
In Memory Of John "Silver" Douglas (Dec. 08, 2008) R.I.P. My Friend.

:wave: :popcorn :cursing :super-mad

UnFazed
Regular Poster

Re: basket

Post by UnFazed »

exupturbo wrote:<!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.tts-performance.co.uk/produc ... <!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br>These people do a billet basket in the UK for the exup.<br>You can get away without special tool by putting bike in top gear and standing on brake to remove center nut.<br>Remember to buy a new locktab before you start job.<br>The billet clutch comes with stronger "shock absorbing" springs that make it a lot less 'Grabby' and totally transforms the feel.<br>I run a billet basket, genuine plates and redline springs, no clutch slip or problems with 170@wheel.<br>Expensive, but cheaper than a new engine.<br>Happy wheelies.<br>Mark <p></p><i></i>
So the FZR 600 and the 1000 use the same clutch basket? The site seems to only list the billet basket for the 600. Filing all this away for future reference. I'm planning on keeping the 1000 til it dies, which hopefully won't be for a long time.

FZRDude
Co-Admin

Re: basket

Post by FZRDude »

UnFazed wrote:...So the FZR 600 and the 1000 use the same clutch basket?.....
No they aren't. The YZF750 and the FZR1000 are similar (ring gear on the basket is different).

gane
Veteran Poster

Post by gane »

We do what we do. is wheeling bad? yes. go out and grab your front wheel and attenpt to throw it up into the air. I imagine on a 500lb bike that would require @ a ton of torque.that force is being translated to 2 or 3 teeth at the clutch/crank drive, clutch drive and driven plates, and final drive sprockets and chain. even sport bikes aren't designed for these forces. the fact that they do (for a time) doesnt' make it right. I appreciate power on wheelies while racing, and frequntly loft the front end dirtbike riding, but the concept of cluthing up the front end for grins on my 7-10 is like standing back and throwing rocks at it. do as you will, but don't cry about broken bits. G
G
"just because You think everyone's against you, it only means your' paranoid. " not that your' wrong."

FZRDude
Co-Admin

Post by FZRDude »

WOOT!!! great post Gane