the odd clutch spring

Want the specs for a valve adjustment? Can you provide tips for bleeding brakes? Please use this section.
bikeazoid
New Poster

the odd clutch spring

Post by bikeazoid »

i was dooing my clutch and noticed an odd spring between the 7th fiber plate and 8th steel one. it looked a big washer, the diamater of one of the plates, but thiner. it was wavy so it pushed the plates apart. when i put the new barnet clutch in, it all bareley fit in with the spring in. once all together, the bike would walk with the clutch all the way in. once i took the spring out, it was fine, but it now slips at arround 80ish on very hard launches, but holds fine up till that point.<br><br>my question is this.... the manual shows it going in with the stock clutch plates, do i need it with the aftermarket ones???? barnett seems to be on 24 hour hiautis.<br><br>thanks for all the help this gets.<br><br><br>zoid <p></p><i></i>

ChuckD
Veteran Poster

Clutching it

Post by ChuckD »

I found the best clutch feel is from stock plates. The price is relatively the same as Barnett. As for the spring, I too experienced that dilema and eventually just went with Yamaha plates. Since you already have purchased the Barnett I would measure the plates and compare the two. You shouls also know that Barnett says that all of the plates are the same, but if you look at the parts fische you'll see that there are 3 different plates Yamaha uses. When I asked Barnett about this, they were unable to explain the difference. Since then I have used stock plates becuase I haven't found them to be any better. As for the walking feel, try and soak your plates a bit longer. Coffee can with 20/50 is what I find to be the best, let it sit overnight if possible.<br><br>Good Luck<br>Chuck D. <p></p><i></i>