exup valve gubbins (again!)

Want the specs for a valve adjustment? Can you provide tips for bleeding brakes? Please use this section.
exuppower
New Poster

exup valve gubbins (again!)

Post by exuppower »

hi folks<br><br>i know this has been covered elsewhere on site but i haven't found it and it could be good to have all the relevant info on one post. <br><br>Q: i am concerned my exup valve is not opening fully. on inspection, the prongs on the end point to 9 o'clock as per the book. i can turn it by hand, with some effort and the ignition off, to around 2 o'clock. on turning the ignition on it returns to 9 o'clock. when i ran the motor, the valve only seemed to reach 12 o'clock. i think i had it near the red line but obviously i didn't just hold it full open for more than a fraction of a second. the wires looked old and dry and opening one a little loose on the closed position. the bike runs good but needs 2 thou to get off the line without bogging. is all the above normal/within specs? <p></p><i></i>

henk
New Poster

Exup valve

Post by henk »

To me all You write looks normal.<br><br>I adjusted the valve to be a bit more open, as You mentioned not 90 but about 95 degrees.<br>The engine seemes to produce a bit more torg a low refs.<br><br><br>Greetings, Henk <p></p><i></i>

exuppower
New Poster

Re: Exup valve

Post by exuppower »

Thanks for the reply henk, I am going to oil the cables as I discovered on the FZR '89+ bit of this site some more exup valve stuff and it seems they are expensive to replace. mine are probably original from '93 so suppose they have done well. Perhaps I should bite the bullet and replace them but funds are very low. I have a MIG end can and maybe it is carburation that makes pick up from idle poor? Amechanic said that all the exups he has rode are like that. How is your pick up from idle? <p></p><i></i>

henk
New Poster

exup

Post by henk »

It pics up from around 1800 rmps, even with a passenger.<br><br>I replaced the inside cables ($ 5.00) <br><br>succes, henk. <p></p><i></i>