88" FZR 1000 dealer work

Want the specs for a valve adjustment? Can you provide tips for bleeding brakes? Please use this section.
Smokin Cache
New Poster

88" FZR 1000 dealer work

Post by Smokin Cache »

Well, I discovered the Yamaha dealer done a "less than poor job cleaning the carbs. I have never looked at one of these carbs before and have enough common sense to know that the "o-ring" that is made on the diaphragm needs to go in its grove in the carb. Half of it was out therefore cause the slides to not open on #3 and #4. There was still varnish in them. I know not to take it back to that particular dealer in the Houston area. Because I am not the one who paid for the job and have no receipt for the work I will not mention the business name. Although I was in the room with the person who did pay, but can't find the receipt. When he told them to do what ever it took to make the bike right, no matter what it cost.<br><br> So on to my real question. With me knowing as much as I do about bikes I ran the bike with what appears to be 2 quarts of gas in the oil. Since I drained 5 quarts out this morning and its only supposed to hold 3.2. I can here a rod knocking. So supposing I don't have to replace the crank!! and just rod, pistons (1040 kit) valve job and such. Does anyone know how much money its going to take or there abouts. I plan to do it all my self except the boring, and head work. Might as well put new sprockets and chain on while I am at it. Would like to go with turbo but think that is going to have to wait until I get used to the bike. Perhaps I won't kill myself then. I have a problem with the love for speed and the lack of fear. Anyone else have that problem? Oh any advice on the parts and such, of what to put back in the motor, and where to get them? Thanks for any help.<br><br><br>Jason<br><br> <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub28.ezboard.com/bexupbrotherho ... ood>Smokin Cache</A> at: 2/28/04 8:48 pm<br></i>

ChuckD
Veteran Poster

Re: 88" FZR 1000 dealer work

Post by ChuckD »

Check out the "getting her ready for spring" thread in the 89-95 FZR 1000 section. Pretty good labor #'s and most asked questions. I do a few of these a year and run into all the walls and openings over and over again.<br>CHCUK D. <p></p><i></i>

Smokin Cache
New Poster

Re: 88" FZR 1000 dealer work

Post by Smokin Cache »

Thanks for the reply in both threads!!! Its nice to see ppl who are willing to share knowledge. I haven't decided to sell the bike as is or try to fix it. I really would love to fix it but time is a major factor. The riding season is long here in Houston so I should be able to get it fixed before this year's end. Anyone in the Houston area have any work done at Ehren Frosch Racing? Chuck D I might want to send the head to your shop if I don't get a good feeling about the ones I find local.<br><br>Thanks,<br><br>Jason<br> <p></p><i></i>

Exupilot
Regular Poster

88 FZR

Post by Exupilot »

Jason,<br><br>Another option is to see if you can pick up a second hand motor and drop it in now, then have the work done on the origional next winter when the labour's cheaper.<br><br>You can always sell the s/hand motor again afterwards (and get your money back) or keep it for spares/emergency's and be on the road again for this summer.<br><br>Just an idea...<br><br>Rob<br> <p></p><i></i>