1992 FZR 1000 intermittent stalls PLEASE HELP

Want the specs for a valve adjustment? Can you provide tips for bleeding brakes? Please use this section.
Windfree
New Poster

1992 FZR 1000 intermittent stalls PLEASE HELP

Post by Windfree »

My 1992 FZR 1000 as been stalling on me with all too much regularity.

When it dies it spools down like it is running out of gas and then quits. Sometimes I can get it to start again but will only run at idle, if either the throttle or choke are move, it will die again. Other times it will not start at all. On occasion it will restart and run normal after sitting for a few hours.

Carbs have been cleaned, fresh gas has been used, filter is flowing freely, the resistor by the fuel pump tests good and the valves are freshly adjusted.

I have hooked the pump direct to the battery and it runs well and stays running pumping fuel real good as long as 12 volts is applied. However, the pump when hooked up in the normal running manner will only run for 6 seconds after the key is turned on and will never restart until the ignition key is cycled off and back on, at which time it will run for another 6 seconds.

I have hooked the fuel tank up in gravity feed mode for test and the bike started right up and ran totally normally (slightly better than thru pump). During this test run (10 minutes) the fuel pump never started running after the initial 6 second run. Immediately prior to the gravity feed test the bike would not start at all through the fuel pump though it was trying to fire.

Even DR. Jim is a little perplexed on this one.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Darcy
2006 YZF R1
1992 FZR 1000

It's cold outside, no sign of atmosphere....

dragracer1951
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by dragracer1951 »

Yea...I just got off the phone with Darcy
The pump does it's thing with 12v but not through the ECU
The reserve sw tests good also
I'm a bit puzzled. Is there a way of testing the ECU?
Will a 95 work on a 92? I'd say come on over and try mine. That way we'd know for sure.
That is ...if the big meltdown mine did didn't kill the ECU.....
Jim

Hey Kid...
Is my tail light still working?

"...you can't tune a motor that's hurt. They run much faster on fuel then they do on aluminum." - Elmer Trett

ExupElvis
Veteran Poster

Post by ExupElvis »

Only one other "on the bike check" I can think of, that is to see if it runs any different with the reserve switch on.
The fuel pump relay circuit is hot from the run/stop switch and is grounded at the iggy box to complete the circuit.
The starting circuit cut off relay is in a multiple relay block mounted under the left side seat cover. Check the connector pins for that relay also.
I do believe the multi-relay block contains the fuel pump, oil level, and starter cut out relays. All the pins should be checked.

dragracer1951
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by dragracer1951 »

See how this works....
I knew you'ld show up in a bit Bob...
I knew there were a couple of relays somewhere that needed checking but I wasn't sure where the heck they were.
Wen I talked to Darcy the other day he was hopeing it wasn't a $245 fuel pump. Then he found the fuel pump to be working on 12v and was thinking it may be the ECU and I asked him
"Don't ya wish it was a $245 fuel pump?"

Jeez I hate that!!!
Jim

Hey Kid...

"...you can't tune a motor that's hurt. They run much faster on fuel then they do on aluminum." - Elmer Trett

Windfree
New Poster

Post by Windfree »

Those pins have been checked and appear to be all fine.
Darcy
2006 YZF R1
1992 FZR 1000

ExupElvis
Veteran Poster

Post by ExupElvis »

Jeez I hate that!!!
Yeah, it sucks. So we'll just have to cover it with $245.00 worth of headache.
I was gonn'a post the how-to troubleshoot chart, but i got confewsooled half way through myself. I'll need to talk to the bike in person I think........
Fairings just get in the way of carb tuning

ChuckD
Veteran Poster

CDI Box

Post by ChuckD »

It would seem that fuel pumps are becoming problematic. Joyce's FZ pump went out, Cosmo's old one died, and a few others have now added to the list. Remeber that the fuel pump only "clicks" when cycling, which is caused by the lack of fuel in the bowls. It is not a high pressure system, so in basics the pump only turns off when the backpressure is built up. They're not extremely complicated, but remeber also that the fuel level plays an important part in whether or not the pump is working. If all else fails, I'll send Darcy over a CDI for "trail" purposes.

Chuck D.

Windfree
New Poster

CDI BOX

Post by Windfree »

Thanks Chuck

PM sent...

Darcy
Darcy
2006 YZF R1
1992 FZR 1000

Windfree
New Poster

Fuel Pump / CDI Box issues

Post by Windfree »

Well all, I borrowed Dr. Jim's service manual tonight and read up on the fuel pump. According to the manual, I need to replace the CDI box.

Trouble shooting procedure per the manual:

1. test iggy switch - good
2. test kill switch - good
3. test fuel pump relay - good
4. test fuel pump connected direct to battery - flows fuel freely
5. test fuel pump wiring - good
6. replace digital ignitor unit

Chuck, I sent you a P.M. to order one up, if you need any more info or need anything to do this please give me a call on the cell # in the PM or e-mail me to call you @ darcy.niebeling@mt.com.

Darcy
Darcy
2006 YZF R1
1992 FZR 1000

dragracer1951
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by dragracer1951 »

According to the manual, I need to replace the CDI box.
Jeez I hate that....

But glad you found the problem...Now maybe I won't have to go drag out the trailer to fetch ya... :poke
Jim

Hey Kid...

Windfree
New Poster

Post by Windfree »

Well, after almost 2 months of farting around with this damn thing, it does turn out to be the fuel pump.

On Saturday, I hooked the pump up direct to the battery and proceeded to pump out the 4 gallons in the tank. After about 1 gallon, the pump started oscillating in speed and after about 3 gallons it started cutting out completely.

Then on Sunday, I went over to Dr. Jims and borrowed his pump and put it into my bike. Fired it up and ran it for 45 minutes and rode it for 13 miles without any problems.

Today, I rode the 43 miles to work and ran great the whole time.

Time to get a new one on order.

Darcy
Darcy
2006 YZF R1
1992 FZR 1000

ExupElvis
Veteran Poster

Post by ExupElvis »

Glad to see you got it sorted Darcy - That'll be some usefull info in future troubleshooting for all of us I think........