Brake problems....

Want the specs for a valve adjustment? Can you provide tips for bleeding brakes? Please use this section.
StudentFZR
New Poster

Brake problems....

Post by StudentFZR »

there I was blatting into London when my '87 Genesis started to get slower....and slower....hmm. Pulled over and couldn't move it at all, brake lever completely solid and worse still both front discs were blued from heat :cry:

This is the first time anything like this has happened to me...I changed all brake seals earlier this year and, even though they were a little dirty the pistons weren't seized...it was almost as if the whole circuit had hydraulically locked on :?

My suspicion lies with the master cylinder although why I've no idea...can anyone throw any light for me??

Thanks guys!

Dave

dragracer1951
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by dragracer1951 »

Sure I can
Unplug the tiny little oriface in the master cyl that is the return
Jim

Hey Kid...
Is my tail light still working?

"...you can't tune a motor that's hurt. They run much faster on fuel then they do on aluminum." - Elmer Trett

StudentFZR
New Poster

Post by StudentFZR »

Jeez....that simple....why didn't I think of that etc etc!! I stripped out one of the calipers and the pistons are fine so I think you're on to a winner there Jim - all will be revealed tomorrow when I get back into it!

Thanks mate 8-) :D

Dave.

F5
Veteran Poster

Post by F5 »

Quite often the lever (maybe a replacement) doesn’t return far enough to open the return hole. While you have the lid off, clean the breather in the lid & make sure the rubber isn’t ripped.
I'm a bomb technician. If you see me running - try to keep up!

StudentFZR
New Poster

Post by StudentFZR »

Everything appears to be ok, but a lot of crap around the two small holes feeding the mastercylinder piston. Cleaned out and bled, check and clean all caliper pistons and rode it.....no initial bite at all :( I think I've fried the pads :cry:

The silver lining is the set of 6 pots I've got ready and waiting to go on this weekend.... ;)

Dave

dragracer1951
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by dragracer1951 »

Dave...Take some emery to the pads and deglaze them...All should be well then
Jim

Hey Kid...
Is my tail light still working?

"...you can't tune a motor that's hurt. They run much faster on fuel then they do on aluminum." - Elmer Trett

StudentFZR
New Poster

Post by StudentFZR »

Hey Jim.....deglazed with a smooth file before I put them back together first time around but no joy. I've read somewhere that if you seriously overheat pads the resin binder deteriorates badly and irreversibly affects them (?)

Anyhoo....put the 6 pots on yesterday and they're shaping up nicely, need new pads though (Gold Fren at the moment - weird feel), thinking of trying Ferodo Platinums rather then EBC HH....will let the 'Hood know how I get on :)

Thanks for all your help....

Dave

ChuckD
Veteran Poster

linage

Post by ChuckD »

Are you running stock Lines?
CHUCK D.
Owner
Lake Missoula Motorsports

2000 R1- 172 HP
2001 R6- 124 HP
1990 FZR1000- 156 HP
And too many others......

StudentFZR
New Poster

Post by StudentFZR »

No Chuck....stainless goodridge 3 line set up with YZF750 6 pots now, but it seems to be a pig to bleed even using a mityvac :?