Serious Tech!!

Want the specs for a valve adjustment? Can you provide tips for bleeding brakes? Please use this section.
FZRDude
Co-Admin

Post by FZRDude »

Nope, in the South you have to "ask" for UN-sweet tea. Iced Tea is Sweet Tea.
:poke
Snerk
There are some who call me........Tim?
In Memory Of John "Silver" Douglas (Dec. 08, 2008) R.I.P. My Friend.

:wave: :popcorn :cursing :super-mad

dragracer1951
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by dragracer1951 »

I Sir bow to yur superior knowledge....
This is in fact a Jawga thing an Ah, on the other hand spent my time in Loosianna
Jim

Hey Kid...
Is my tail light still working?

"...you can't tune a motor that's hurt. They run much faster on fuel then they do on aluminum." - Elmer Trett

hglenn55
New Poster

Busting raindrops

Post by hglenn55 »

Hey I'm in the south not of the south. There is a difference (born in the land of fruits and nuts :cool ). The speed bump idea was to break up the fuel droplets not improve flow, or am I chasing the same monkey :?: . I am under the impression that smaller fuel droplets improves combustion because you achieve a better burn which meanas more energy from the same fuel rate which produces less energy with bigger droplets :| .
Justice is the one thing you should always find.

dragracer1951
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by dragracer1951 »

smooth is good, speed bumps are bad. Here's why
Slow gas flow is laminar and faster flow is not...it breaks up into eddies and will by far do better things for atomizing fuel...
Jim

Hey Kid...

"...you can't tune a motor that's hurt. They run much faster on fuel then they do on aluminum." - Elmer Trett

hglenn55
New Poster

Gotcha

Post by hglenn55 »

I got it. Time to break out the Dremel again andsmooth the ports down thanks. One less bonehead mistake by me :oops: [/i]

hglenn55
New Poster

New dumb question

Post by hglenn55 »

There is a section on one of my cases that needs repair. It's right at a spot that utilizes a bolt to hold a cover on. The covered area is not exposed to oil. The screw in section has been broken in half and a piece of the caes cracked off. I wanted to braze on a piece of aluminum and shape it to the case. The only part that appears to be melting is the brazing rod. It won't flow. I realize that large section of metal difuse hheat anad make it harder to braze. I have never ever brazed anything. Does anyone have any pointers?[/u]

dragracer1951
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by dragracer1951 »

if you have little experience with brazing an dwelding I would suggest that you take it to a competant welder and let him work his magis on it. You will warp it and it won't hold oil anymore....
Jim

Hey Kid...

hglenn55
New Poster

Kay

Post by hglenn55 »

Before I read your post I had already taken it in. The guy did a great job. Smoothed and blended it. Next question. What is it with Yamaha crank cases? Everyone I've looked at that has some age on it looks like crap! The metal looks like it's laid in the worst crude in the world. Even after cleaning they are dull and pitted. My case looks like the oil was asorbed between the pores of the alloy. How can I clean it without busting the boys. I want the metal as clean as possible so it will hold paint. :!:

dragracer1951
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by dragracer1951 »

I play at restoring old piece of crap motorbikes
It keeps me out of the bars
abrasive blast with walnut media. Wash in parts washer. Wash in Acetone. Paint with silver (alum ) paint of your choice. I can let you know what works well on my projects. Don't go down the clear coat road...it will yellow with heat and spoil the look
Go on ahead and ask me how I know...
Jim

Hey Kid...

hglenn55
New Poster

Do Tell?

Post by hglenn55 »

I've heard of the walnut shell blasting thing-a-ma-jig but I've never seen it done. What kind of machine are they using? I have excess to a bead-blaster but I can't see using that on a case. The beach crude left is murder to clean. What about having the cases hot tanked? What kind of chemicals do they use for that. Ask a lot of question don't I![/i]

749muppet

Post by 749muppet »

Hey Drag... If you were charging for your advice, you could probably retire by now :P

hglenn55
New Poster

Ahh Man!

Post by hglenn55 »

Read this with a smile Muppet because it's meant as a joke :D

Thanks!!! alot muppet! There's always one cat in the litter who can't just drink the milk and be happy. Nooooooo he's got to slop the bowl and get milk on hte floor pissing off the master! Now no more milk. Man there's always one retarded cat in the litter!!! :banana :funny

Hell muppet I'd pay for a book if Drag wrote it. I have been looking for a one stop shopping spot for tech knowledge. Many a book called "Want to build a sportbike for you. Here's a huge compedium of Fabrication STUFF!!. Well maybe the tittles to long and the book would be so big it would need wheels. Oh well it was a thought.[/u]

dragracer1951
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by dragracer1951 »

Muppet
I let guys know how their motors work cause it's fun...It keeps me from hanging out in the bars and besides...you guys get to learn some really cool stuff. And if it wasn't me tellin ya it'd be someone else anyway
Besides...I got shown a lot of stuff by some really fast guys so this is just turnabout...
Pretty fun Huh?
Jim

Hey Kid...

FZRDude
Co-Admin

Post by FZRDude »

749muppet wrote:Hey Drag... If you were charging for your advice, you could probably retire by now :P
Go ahead and ask him how many times he's retired in the last 2 years...

snerk
There are some who call me........Tim?
In Memory Of John "Silver" Douglas (Dec. 08, 2008) R.I.P. My Friend.

:wave: :popcorn :cursing :super-mad

dragracer1951
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by dragracer1951 »

Aw come on Tim, sides if we keep it to the last two years it ain't that many times at all
Jim

Hey Kid...

F5
Veteran Poster

Post by F5 »

part one of that book is Kevin Cameron's Sportbike performance book.

By no means perfect or complete but a damn good read.
I'm a bomb technician. If you see me running - try to keep up!

hglenn55
New Poster

Thanks F5

Post by hglenn55 »

I've got the book and it's not the great tomb of knowledge that I'm looking for. Maybe I'll have to write it myself?????????????????

hglenn55
New Poster

Post by hglenn55 »

New idea. I also read a forum on 2-stroke Yamaha's (RZ500) and have asked about placing a 2-stroke in a R6 frame. some of the post think a FZR600 frame is the way to go. I think I am finding a greater challenge on the 2-stroke front sorry guys I just been converted to a bean-oil sniffer :banana

mynewbike
Veteran Poster

Post by mynewbike »

If you go for a 2stroke go with either an RZ350 or RD350-RD400.
This should be an easy starting point with only 2 cyl's to buy stuff for.
I've always wanted an RG500 but 2 strokes are constant maintenance and I believe the YZF/FZR gives more bang for the buck with costs and time involved in keeping it running.
I used to have several 2 strokes kawi triples RZ350's RZ500 RD's
They are easy to work on and if you like tinkering this is definetely for you :D
The most dissapointing 2 stroke was the RZ500 imo.
Good luck with your new toy:)
Mike