Headlight problem

Want the specs for a valve adjustment? Can you provide tips for bleeding brakes? Please use this section.
trailer rails
New Poster

Headlight problem

Post by trailer rails »

Sometimes my headlights do not come on when I turn my bike on. I have to turn the key off and back on several time to make it work. What could be causing this? It turned off on me once while I was riding also. :shock

djalbin
Smilies Run Amok

Possible problem

Post by djalbin »

trailer rails,
What year and model is the bike? The wiring varied over the years and there are differences between the U.S. and U.K. models (lighting switch is U.K. only) However, it sounds like the main key switch may have a loose/dirty/corroded contact. Try some electrical contact cleaner on the switch/contacts and see if that makes a difference. If it's dirty/corroded that should help. If the contact/wiring is loose or worn than it will take more than cleaner to fix it.

Don

Outlaw
Veteran Poster

Post by Outlaw »

Another possibility may be your starter button is sticking. Both of my old Yamahas have done this at one time or another. Just reached down and pulled it out a little, the headlight came right back on.

FZRDude
Co-Admin

Post by FZRDude »

Was/Is the same problem on a couple of Yamaha Virago's I know.
There are some who call me........Tim?
In Memory Of John "Silver" Douglas (Dec. 08, 2008) R.I.P. My Friend.

:wave: :popcorn :cursing :super-mad

trailer rails
New Poster

Re: Possible problem

Post by trailer rails »

djalbin wrote:trailer rails,
What year and model is the bike? The wiring varied over the years and there are differences between the U.S. and U.K. models (lighting switch is U.K. only)
Doh, yea that would help, 94 600 US model.

I'll try pullin on the starter switch next time it happens.