Favorite chain lube

Want the specs for a valve adjustment? Can you provide tips for bleeding brakes? Please use this section.
silver
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Favorite chain lube

Post by silver »

These things seem to change faster than clothing styles of teenagers. What's your current favority chain lube and why ? Of course the reason I'm asking is I just ordered that $68 chain from parts411.com. I want something that's going to protech that bugger through the winter here in Tennessee. We'll see what kind of mileage an inexpensive chain can get.

After reading numerous articles I'm beginning to think that I should use K1 to clean the chain and some synthetic gear lube as a lubricant.

FZRDude
Co-Admin

Post by FZRDude »

I use 10w40 with a Pro-Oiler. It is automatic and I haven't even had to top up the res in a year. I can adj the oil flow while I ride as conditions change.

Good stuff it is. DR Jim told me about it. Took me a year to finally justify buying it and I haven't regretted it once.

Speaking of which...... I need to follow up on some parts I just ordered from them.
There are some who call me........Tim?
In Memory Of John "Silver" Douglas (Dec. 08, 2008) R.I.P. My Friend.

:wave: :popcorn :cursing :super-mad

Hooligan
Site Admin

Post by Hooligan »

kerosene to clean the chain. i'll have to check what kind of lube i have been using. it's much, much better than the crap i bought from silkolene.
Jason, aka: Hooligan
1994 YZF750-R
1996 YZF750-R
2003 Bonneville T100

silver
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by silver »

FZRDude wrote:I use 10w40 with a Pro-Oiler. It is automatic and I haven't even had to top up the res in a year. I can adj the oil flow while I ride as conditions change.

Good stuff it is. DR Jim told me about it. Took me a year to finally justify buying it and I haven't regretted it once.

Speaking of which...... I need to follow up on some parts I just ordered from them.
US$229.00 is a litlle outside my budget though it'd probably pay for itself in time savings alone.

FZRDude
Co-Admin

Post by FZRDude »

Definitely worth it if you can afford it. I think of it as insurance for my chain as I was never one to regularly lube my chain. :oops:
There are some who call me........Tim?
In Memory Of John "Silver" Douglas (Dec. 08, 2008) R.I.P. My Friend.

:wave: :popcorn :cursing :super-mad

YZF_Rider
Veteran Poster

Post by YZF_Rider »

On My FJ1200 I got a Scotoiler but it dont always work so I use Putoline.
Same on My YZF.
They all fling so I dont think it matters too much.

RUFtech
Veteran Poster

Post by RUFtech »

I use Maxima Chain Wax. Chains last forever and it doesn't sling off.
Bob
'97 YZF750R (sold)
'87 Porsche 944 Turbo
'04 GTO
If you haven't seen god your not going fast enough

F5
Veteran Poster

Post by F5 »

That's hardly a decent measure. I don't like Maxima because it smells terrible. :poke

Spectro is probably good but it goes everywhere. Plutoline is my choice. (although have a scotoiler on my Barge-like RF9, but I don't care about the weight).

DID x chain & AFAM sprockets even in 520 & ally seem to last well with only sporadic oiling. You get what you pays for.
I'm a bomb technician. If you see me running - try to keep up!

HptK
New Poster

Post by HptK »

i use motul road chain lube. it is au$20 for about 400mls but it is the best stuff i have come across. and it does not fling at all.
Hayden

WickedFZR1K
Veteran Poster

Post by WickedFZR1K »

I have always used Suzuki's chain lube it says it has "S-Moly" in it. Anyways, I always lube my chain when it is hot from riding (just what I was taught to do). I put the bike on the swingarm stand and knock the crud off it, then with the bike in 1st gear, I left the clutch out and let it idle as I apply a bead to the center of the chain (inside surface), then let it sit for 10 minutes or so to tack up. I go overboard now and then and some flings out onto the wheel, but a quick wipe with a rag with some WD-40 sprayed on it cleans the rim...
If you want to live life by your own terms, you gotta be willing to crash and burn...