Looking for recommendation on chain tool

Want the specs for a valve adjustment? Can you provide tips for bleeding brakes? Please use this section.
KontoBoy
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Looking for recommendation on chain tool

Post by KontoBoy »

I had a standard Motion Pro chain tool. It broke the pins on first use (530 chain with heads ground). I got replacement parts, but then it broke again pressing on the rivet link. It's trash now.

I see Motion Pro has a heavy duty chain tool (about $110), but before I give them any more of my money does anyone else have a recommendation on a good tool for cutting and pressing on rivet links?

Thanks

Kontoboy

Hooligan
Site Admin

Post by Hooligan »

a really big hammer?
Jason, aka: Hooligan
1994 YZF750-R
1996 YZF750-R
2003 Bonneville T100

FZRDude
Co-Admin

Post by FZRDude »

I think that is called a BFH
There are some who call me........Tim?
In Memory Of John "Silver" Douglas (Dec. 08, 2008) R.I.P. My Friend.

:wave: :popcorn :cursing :super-mad

dragracer1951
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by dragracer1951 »

I have the hunnert dollar tool. It has done 35 or so chains. I have broken two pins and had to make up spares from tool steel and harden them.
No other issues. I do grind the chains first prior to pressing the pins. I think I broke those pins by not having sufficiently ground the pin heads on the chain. I gotta call that my fault
Jim

Hey Kid...
Is my tail light still working?

"...you can't tune a motor that's hurt. They run much faster on fuel then they do on aluminum." - Elmer Trett

KontoBoy
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by KontoBoy »

I thought I ground the heads pretty good when I broke mine, but it was an old chain and about 20 degrees out.

But pressing on the rivet link--it just wouldn't take the torque needed to dimble the heads and snapped the shaft. I've heard the "Jumbo" Motion Pro tool is much better, but it doesn't inspire confidence when I see every ad for the tool accompanied with an ad for replacement pins.

Kontoboy

silver
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by silver »

I have the MotionPro Chain Breaker And Riveting Tool and I'm thinking that clip-type master links are the way to go. I now need to replace every pin after breaking and riveting my 532 chain just 3X. And yes. I used a grinder to grind the rivets down and into the link plate.

dragracer1951
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by dragracer1951 »

What would you guys be willing to pay for a very high quality chain press. I am about to buy a heat treat oven, I can make these out of tool steel and just about guarantee that you will never break them.
I can look into it.
Jim

Hey Kid...

"...you can't tune a motor that's hurt. They run much faster on fuel then they do on aluminum." - Elmer Trett

KontoBoy
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by KontoBoy »

The Motion Pro "Jumbo" chain tool I'm considering buying runs from $105 to $147 on line. It's designed to both press out and press on the rivet links.

Silver--no one at the track admits to using clip links. They're not considered safe.

Kontoboy

silver
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by silver »

I've heard about safety issues with clip links however I don't consider a poorly riveted chain to be any better.

I'll see if I can locate the instructions for the MotionPro widget. If I remember correctly it specifies that it isn't capable of handling chain larger than 530. I'dm not surprised they didn't tell me that when I bought it. :x
Last edited by silver on Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

orionburn
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by orionburn »

silver wrote:I've heard about safety issues with clip links however I don't consider a poorly riveted chain to be any better.
I wouldn't want to use a clip link for track use, but I've never had any problems with them on the street. I do check it often to make sure it's still secure. I'm sure there are some horror stories out there (I've heard one from Tim before), but I agree with Silver. There's probably near as many accidents from bad rivet jobs.
Nate
1987 FZR1000 (Still with fairings!)
2003 Bandit 1200S (It didn't come with fairings!)
Image Image

F5
Veteran Poster

Post by F5 »

I use a DID tool (branded DID but made by some other crowd) that splits & also can rivet the chain. Mushrooms over the rivet nicely, had used a centrepunch on an old dirtbike, but that is a no-no I was later told by chain rep so I sucked it up & bought the tool. Not super cheap but ok in the long run & better at splitting than my other tools as well.
I'm a bomb technician. If you see me running - try to keep up!

sickle44
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by sickle44 »

Dr. Jim wrote: What would you guys be willing to pay for a very high quality chain press
I'd be in for a hun, or a brown one. $100's are coloured brown up here in Canada eh!
Michael
Yes Yes I know, I said, I'm building a project YZF1070

Basement is done now, 850 finished and gone...
Gotta get the new siding up on the house.
Fixing the FZ1 up, cleaning up garage and then I might even begin

silver
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by silver »

dragracer1951 wrote:What would you guys be willing to pay for a very high quality chain press. I am about to buy a heat treat oven, I can make these out of tool steel and just about guarantee that you will never break them.
I can look into it.
I'd like to see a basic sketch of your design. As to pricing, $150'ish ? it would really depend. There's nothing more frustrating than having the only pin you own to cap the rivet break and having to wait 5 days for a new one to get shipped in.

KontoBoy
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by KontoBoy »

Motion Pro did say it was not recommended for larger than a 530 chain, but it also broke on a 530. I've read some other forums and it seems a common problem--the standard Motion Pro tool is it's just not built for the task.

Kontoboy

Dougielx1
New Poster

Post by Dougielx1 »

Wonder if these can be used on camchains?

gane
Veteran Poster

Post by gane »

Have the Motion Pro ($110.00 ) tool, myself, and use it exclusivlely for setting side plates and spreading dimpled posts. tool is @ 3 years old now and done 20/30 links. I don't loan it. period. and use it gingerly myself. alignment is critical tho an experianced hand will indicate when to stop regardless. PCC used to make a racheting pin pusher (have 1 functional and bits from 3 others which have gone on) I whizzer mounds off both posts of exiting link well into side plate before attempting pin pusher. on non dimpled links, after locating side plate, I use a body & fender dolly and ball peen hammer in the manner of stone age aviation rivets. for a fellow who might replace 2 or 3 riveted links in a lifetime offer this. two sets of vice grips and a couple of 6mm nuts will allow you to creep up on proper side plate distance (too far, and chain will have a tight spot) and a counter weight held to opposite side of pin being peened keeps things in sittu whilst expanding pin.( a shallow faced center punch works well and can be fab'ed out if most anything if you have access to a grinder) luck G :idea:
G
"just because You think everyone's against you, it only means your' paranoid. " not that your' wrong."

M Hankel
Veteran Poster

Post by M Hankel »

dragracer1951 wrote:What would you guys be willing to pay for a very high quality chain press. I am about to buy a heat treat oven, I can make these out of tool steel and just about guarantee that you will never break them.
I can look into it.
Rather than re-invent the wheel, how about just producing a good quality replacement pin for the Motion Pro "pro" model kit? You could probably make them much faster, and since most of us seem to have this kit anyway?

I'd pay $15-20.00 for a good strong replacment pin.....
-Mike
94' FZR1000
520 Chain Conversion (-1F, +2R), Michelin Pilot Powers, K&N Filter, Yoshimura RS-3, V&H PowerPak, Perpetual Carb Rebuilds

silver
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by silver »

M Hankel wrote:Rather than re-invent the wheel, how about just producing a good quality replacement pin for the Motion Pro "pro" model kit? You could probably make them much faster, and since most of us seem to have this kit anyway?

I'd pay $15-20.00 for a good strong replacment pin.....
Jeez ! Someone with a brain ! But there again, is the weakness in the MP pins due to a design failure ?

dragracer1951
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by dragracer1951 »

I'll have 25 of them on the machine in the morning....
Jim

Hey Kid...

M Hankel
Veteran Poster

Post by M Hankel »

dragracer1951 wrote:I'll have 25 of them on the machine in the morning....
Cool.

Mark me down for one, please. :)
-Mike
94' FZR1000
520 Chain Conversion (-1F, +2R), Michelin Pilot Powers, K&N Filter, Yoshimura RS-3, V&H PowerPak, Perpetual Carb Rebuilds