Upgrades: What would you do first?

Want the specs for a valve adjustment? Can you provide tips for bleeding brakes? Please use this section.
Ck
Regular Poster

Post by Ck »

Seems to me that my problems lie in the area of carberation... I don't trust myself to tune the carb correctly so i guess i will go about finding somebody who is.

My airbox has also been cut open somewhat.. i've used electrical tape to get the hole back to its original size, but i'm still lacking the snorkel. I soppose this may also have something to do with the power issues i'm having.

Ck
FZR1000 92 Ru Model

pacer
Veteran Poster

Post by pacer »

I would do the R1 brakes first. I had it done to my bike, and my buddy bought a 91 with stock brakes. Same road swapping bikes we were amazed at how much less pull, and more feel came from the brake upgrade. The old brakes felt very wooden. The R1 brakes would save you an easy car length at 50 to 0 with more control.
There is always free cheese in a mouse trap.
97 YZF750

pacer
Veteran Poster

Post by pacer »

If you are going to have it dyno tuned open the airbox up. They will be able to make use of the extra air.
There is always free cheese in a mouse trap.
97 YZF750

gtlewis
Regular Poster

Post by gtlewis »

Don't modify your airbox. I tried it a while back and did get a small increase in top end performance but midrange suffered big time. The dyno guy I used to test with said the needles were part of the problem with an opened up airbox. In low to middle range it was almost impossible to get the airfuel mixture right across all cylinders.

Recommendation was standard airbox or open (individual) filters. Nothing in between, unless you went for injection and had a big wallet.

Just my 2c

Regards
Tony

goingtoscotland
Veteran Poster

Post by goingtoscotland »

i got my 89 FZR-1000 last august. it's stock except for the can and possibly jet kit, and haven't changed anything except tires(pirelli diablo corsa iii) and dogbones(dr. jim's 158mm)

plans for this summer and beyond, funds permitting, are:
R1/R6 front brake calipers(hopefully i'll get the ones i'm bidding on on ebay)
R1 front brake mastercylinder
new paint
FP emulsion tubes
new exhaust can and/or putting a drag pipe together
cable clutch mod or new clutch mastercylinder
clutch plates/springs

necessary work:
carb cleaning
spark plugs
new front brake rotors, current one(s) are slightly warped
speedo drive gear
1989 FZR-1000 Streetfighter currently parting out. make me an offer.

djalbin
Smilies Run Amok

Post by djalbin »

goingtoscotland wrote:R1/R6 front brake calipers(hopefully i'll get the ones i'm bidding on on ebay)
R1 front brake mastercylinder
If you're going to upgrade your brakes ... don't overlook installing steel braided brake lines. Makes a big difference.
Don
1994 FZR1000
Tucson, AZ