TireSwapping

Want the specs for a valve adjustment? Can you provide tips for bleeding brakes? Please use this section.
sickle44
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

TireSwapping

Post by sickle44 »

Well I've finally decided to change my own tires from now on and have static balancer coming. Finally learned how to break the bead, so to speak

BUT: Please! someone, anyone, tell me how in the Hell am I supposed to get this damned bead to seat again. I've obviously spooned the new tire on but the bead just keeps curled under each other and will NOT pop on to the friggen rim and seat.
Michael
Yes Yes I know, I said, I'm building a project YZF1070

Basement is done now, 850 finished and gone...
Gotta get the new siding up on the house.
Fixing the FZ1 up, cleaning up garage and then I might even begin

DAVE
Regular Poster

Post by DAVE »

For automobile use the tyre places use a blast of compressed air directed around the rim into the tyre beads to expand it out. Normally a big cylinder of air is discharged all at once to do the job.

I have seen a small amount petrol put inside a tyre and then ignited. The resultant explosion will do the job. I would have to think that would be emergency use only though.

I have never had that problem when changing dirt bike tyres, and have not changed road bike tyres myself. Sorry I can't be more help
DAVE Image

ImageDAVE's websiteImage Always remember that you're unique. Just like everyone else.

tnoutlaw36
New Poster

changing tire

Post by tnoutlaw36 »

sometimes you can use a rachet strap wrappedaround the outside diameter of the tire to help it seat. be sure to loosen the strap after bead seats or run it by a local tire shop if all else fails

pacer
Veteran Poster

Post by pacer »

My dad used to use a health dose of ether on truck and tractor tires :P . I would not suggest it, but very effective.
There is always free cheese in a mouse trap.
97 YZF750

YZFRob
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by YZFRob »

put some soapy water on the bead and the rim. Then use an air compressor (a good one, not a 12v one) with a tire fill adapter and start to fill. Should hear a little hiss then POP. Keep going until you hear the second. BTW keep ypur fingers clear. It hurts getting pinched by the tire. :P
YZFRob

sickle44
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by sickle44 »

What do you mean by tire fill adapter Rob? Something to shoot a shit load of air all at once?
haven't quite tried the ratchet strap yet but willing to try anything, I'm not sure if this would really help as you can see the other bead on the other side of the tire as you're working on the opposite side, everytime you get the damned thing near, it just slides back down on he other side, GGRRRRRRRR.(need cigarettes!!) I know it's supposed to seal the tire to allow air in, but it's so screwed, they're like folded underneath themselves.
Tried bouncing up and down on ground and shooting with my real air compressor @ 120psi
As far as igniting shit, I'll go pay $$ before I potentially burn my garage down, but thanks.

Appreciate all the help suggestions fellas thanks, keep'm rollin' if anyones missed anything.
Michael

YZFRob
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by YZFRob »

The thing you fill tires up with normally. My old tire machine had teh fill modified so I didnt need the valve stem in it. Really never had to use the air blast of teh machine. Ratchet strap sometimes works. I've used hammers on teh tread to seat the bead sometimes when even air blastting it didnt work. Also releived frustration also.:P

Is yours a big compressor or one of the little ones? My 6hp 33 gal one pops the beads on bike tires easy. A 2hp 10 gal one may not have the umph.
YZFRob

sickle44
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by sickle44 »

Nahhh, it's just a litttlin'. Guess I'll take some beer and the tire to a dude I know. Hopefully my static balancer should be here soon. At least I did finally figure out what the hell everyone was talking about to break the bead with a 2 X 4, although I ended up using a 4 X 4, even better.

The trouble is Rob, the beads are so screwed over I just don't think any compressor would force them into place as there's no seal of any sort, air is just escaping as fast as it's coming in. I'll see what Grant has to say.
Michael

vinsanity69
Veteran Poster

Post by vinsanity69 »

This may be a stupid question but you did take the schader valve out to try and seat the bead right?
89 fzr 1000 dragbike
94 foxeye street bike

sickle44
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by sickle44 »

guess that wasn't a stupid question cause, Nope, I didn't! Didn't know the valves had to come out, k so, tire is spooned on, now just tryin' to get it to seat and obviously I've completely missed a step, please do tell.
Michael

vinsanity69
Veteran Poster

Post by vinsanity69 »

Take the core (schrader)valve out,there is a tool for this,sometimes the valve cap will have it on it.
I use a locking air chuck so I can stand back a little,and fill the tire until the beads pop.I never had a problem with low profile tires seating.If you do,use a 50/50 mix of dawn and water and lube the bead.Another trick is to bounce the rim while fillng,this will expand the beads out.
89 fzr 1000 dragbike
94 foxeye street bike

sickle44
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by sickle44 »

Thanks for all your help. Finally got it. Now if my damned balancer would just friggen show up....
Michael

tnoutlaw36
New Poster

tire swapping

Post by tnoutlaw36 »

what finally worked?

sradwxi
Veteran Poster

Post by sradwxi »

u know what, id love to change my own tyres, but ive never attempted it
well tell a lie, i did try it once, i tried to do it without breaking the bead back first, i couldnt understand why i couldnt get the bead over the rim
i got the art of bending spoons to the standard of uri geller
i had spent 5 hours and almost a full bottle of washing up liquid 2 full hands worth of scraped knuckles and worn a hole in my jeans
id thrown a screwdriver at the garden fence and have never found it since
i must have thrown it so hard its completely embedded itself in the grass
so i ended up taking the wheel to the bike shop
he charged me £5 to swap the tyre over
ive took them there ever since
but now i know its a lot easier than i first thought
one day i will try again
this time ill break the bead first and push it back
some tyre soap would come in real handy, and a balancer would be cool too
carl
everything is true until you exceed the speed of light then light will distort and everything is wrong

sickle44
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by sickle44 »

What finally worked?

Little bit a bead seal snot, and the removal of the valve core allowed for more air to be blown into the tire than more could leak out. After that phyics took over.

I had tried everything everyone had mentioned save the ignition of fuel within the tire. After finally going through it once completely by myself though, it sure seems real easy.
Michael

vinsanity69
Veteran Poster

Post by vinsanity69 »

Glad to hear ya got it..From this point on it will be a peice of cake... :rock
89 fzr 1000 dragbike
94 foxeye street bike

sickle44
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by sickle44 »

And Hooray, Hooray, My balancer showed up today!!
Michael