Jetting/Breaking in a 2 Stroke

Want the specs for a valve adjustment? Can you provide tips for bleeding brakes? Please use this section.
pacer
Veteran Poster

Jetting/Breaking in a 2 Stroke

Post by pacer »

Just had my KX250 ported. I have it back together, and am ready to break it in. The first run up the block show too lean. As I get ready to fatten it up I am wondering first did I hurt it running it to lean in the first run? Also should I run it a little fat for breakin? Maybe jet it correctly, and just a little extra oil in the gas? :help
There is always free cheese in a mouse trap.
97 YZF750

dragracer1951
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by dragracer1951 »

Jet it correctly and break it in. Please resist the temptation to add "Just a bit" of extra oil. That makes it run lean.
Think about it. A given volume of air. a given ammount of gas and a given ammount of oil. Increase the oil and you effectively reduce the ammount of gas in the air fuel ratio. Now it's leaner.
Jim

Hey Kid...
Is my tail light still working?

"...you can't tune a motor that's hurt. They run much faster on fuel then they do on aluminum." - Elmer Trett

pacer
Veteran Poster

Post by pacer »

Makes sense. I appreciate the help. It's below 100 here. Time to hit the desert! :banana :banana :banana :cool
97 YZF750

F5
Veteran Poster

Post by F5 »

With all slide carbs where the throttle is directly linked to the slide you have to think of Jetting in relation to Throttle position. Not revs. This is where most people fall down.

It is entirely possible to have it too lean in one area & too rich in the other. Yes the mainjet is most important, but an awful lot of 2 strokes seize on closed throttle if the Pilot is too small (more affecting roadrace admittedly).

As always beware of airleaks & airbox/ filter issues.
I'm a bomb technician. If you see me running - try to keep up!

pacer
Veteran Poster

Post by pacer »

I am one size smaller on the pilot than stock. That is how I had it before the porting. She would try to foul until warm than was fine. I never worried about off throttle because the bike is set to stall out as soon as it settles into an idle. Am I correct to not worry to much about the pilot?
97 YZF750

F5
Veteran Poster

Post by F5 »

Pilots are often too rich from std, but whether it stalls when idling is irrelevant. Because you might be doing a bunch of revs on a closed throttle coming into a corner; it won't stall at those revs but it is still running off Pilot.

to requote myself:
"With all slide carbs where the throttle is directly linked to the slide you have to think of Jetting in relation to Throttle position. Not revs. This is where most people fall down. "

see I was right, it is hard to keep that in mind.
I'm a bomb technician. If you see me running - try to keep up!