Carb difference

Want the specs for a valve adjustment? Can you provide tips for bleeding brakes? Please use this section.
silver
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Carb difference

Post by silver »

I'm lookin' at the carbs off the YZF1KRJ and pullin' out the few remaining threads on my thinning pate. The #4 carbs float is sitting higher (at full extension AND all the way in !) than the other 3 carbs. I've swapped out both the float and the widget that connects to it and no change. Is it s'posed to do that ?

dragracer1951
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by dragracer1951 »

Show me a picie John
I don't have any idea of what yur talkin bout.

Now where did that POKE thingie go to?
Jim

Hey Kid...
Is my tail light still working?

"...you can't tune a motor that's hurt. They run much faster on fuel then they do on aluminum." - Elmer Trett

silver
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by silver »

Pullin' it off the digicam right now.

EDIT : Unfotunately I've been busy reinstalling Vista again. Still need to setup email and FTP accesses.
Last edited by silver on Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dragracer1951
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by dragracer1951 »

Allrighty then....
Is it here yet?
Huh?
Huh?
Is it?
Huh?

You can tell I got kids can't ya?
Jim

Hey Kid...

"...you can't tune a motor that's hurt. They run much faster on fuel then they do on aluminum." - Elmer Trett

dragracer1951
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by dragracer1951 »

Fingers go tappity Tap, Tap....
Jim

Hey Kid...

dragracer1951
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by dragracer1951 »

Waiting......
Jim

Hey Kid...

silver
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by silver »

silver
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by silver »

How's dat ? !!

Thing is the #4 float is hangin' about 1.5mm lower than the other three. Thought this was a float issue so I bought a new one. No change. I also bought a set of carbs off Ebay. Pulled the float and that dohickey that connets to it out of the spare set and have the same issue.

EDIT : Note that this difference is at both full and minimum extension of the float.

dragracer1951
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by dragracer1951 »

Can't see what you're talking about.
Might be the pain pills though...
Can you take a shot that shows the height of each float.
Like from the pin side...so the gasket surface is horizontal and the floars are sticking up
Jim

Hey Kid...

silver
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by silver »

Gonna work on that but it's going to take another 20~30 minutes and the sun is going down.

Edit : If you look at the distance of the left side of the float to the bottom of the carb casting you'll note that there is a significant difference in the two. I'm uploading the original (really big 10MP) image to :

http://www.exupriders.com/images/carbs1.jpg

Here's the float on #3 :

Master file at http://www.exupriders.com/images/carbs2.jpg

And now # 4 :

Master file at http://www.exupriders.com/images/carbs3.jpg

Better ?

dragracer1951
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by dragracer1951 »

See the tang that sets the float height?
are they the same?
Now....there are two things that it may be. Swap the floats and tell me if they (the float) is still high but only on a different carb body. If it is, then have a look at the needle. You could have a different one.
If that's the case...whip up a fuel level gage from a piece of clear tube and set them up that way.
All clear?
Good.
Jim

Hey Kid...

silver
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by silver »

FYI, I've tried three different floats and two needles. Same height in that carb only. Have to work tonight but going to take a much closer look in the morning when I get in home. Sleep ? Who needs it !

Any recommendations on how to get that TPS off the #1 carb ? If I could do that, and my luck improves a tad, I could just use the second set of carbs I have after a good cleaning. I'm thinking Vice-Grips on the head of the bolt which appears to take something of a hollowed out Torx driver.

EDIT : I think I found it.

"A version known as Security TORX, Tamper-Resistant TORX (often shortened to Torx TR), or pin-in-Torx contains a post in the center of the head that prevents a standard TORX driver (or a straight screwdriver) from being inserted."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_10664

If anyone knows what size they are (I'm thinkin' M4's) then I'll just yank them out with Vicegrips.

EDIT : While I'm asking more about carbs, ya know those springs that go in the tops ? Yeah, the ones that Factory Pro forgot to replace when they exchanged my kit for the right one for my YZF. What improvement would you normally see if you had replaced the stock units with the FP springs ? Also, how often do the needle valves need to be replaced ? At $30 each, they're a might pricey.
Last edited by silver on Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:50 am, edited 4 times in total.

silver
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by silver »

dragracer1951 wrote:You can tell I got kids can't ya?
I'm gonna sic my daughter on ya if you ever get down to Tennessee !

silver
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by silver »

dragracer1951 wrote:If that's the case...whip up a fuel level gage from a piece of clear tube and set them up that way.
All clear?
Good.
I've seen something like this in a drawing but could ya give a guy a little more to go on ?
Invalid Session. Please resubmit the form.

alexyzf
Regular Poster

Post by alexyzf »

silver wrote:
dragracer1951 wrote:If that's the case...whip up a fuel level gage from a piece of clear tube and set them up that way.
All clear?
Good.
I've seen something like this in a drawing but could ya give a guy a little more to go on ?

hmmm he means something like this I suppose??

this is for an Yzf750 but basicly its the same procces right??

silver
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by silver »

That looks like the trick. So "the float chamber line" is stamped right into the casting ? Thanks for the help.

alexyzf
Regular Poster

Post by alexyzf »

silver wrote:That looks like the trick. So "the float chamber line" is stamped right into the casting ? Thanks for the help.
it is but according to my haynes yours should be on the isde of the carbs instead of the back.. almost at the same height as the top screw of the float chamber!!(cant find a pic on the computer to show you sorry)

silver
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by silver »

alexyzf wrote:it is but according to my haynes yours should be on the isde of the carbs instead of the back.. almost at the same height as the top screw of the float chamber!!(cant find a pic on the computer to show you sorry)
No problem at all. I really appreciate the info you've already given and will check into it this morning.

alexyzf
Regular Poster

Post by alexyzf »

silver wrote:
alexyzf wrote:it is but according to my haynes yours should be on the isde of the carbs instead of the back.. almost at the same height as the top screw of the float chamber!!(cant find a pic on the computer to show you sorry)
No problem at all. I really appreciate the info you've already given and will check into it this morning.
good luck....
im also of to the bike again to get thecarbs running well.... they make 4000rpm idle so something is wrong, air/vaccuum related no solution found yet... well ..back to the drawingboard!! ;)

dragracer1951
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by dragracer1951 »

If idle is 4k, you have an air leak. look at the diaphram for the leak. or an overtightened manifold rubber or something interfereing with the throttle linkage....
Of course your pilot air screws are all at 2.5 turns out from LIGHTLY bottomed. Right???
Jim

Hey Kid...