Coolant and gaskets

Want the specs for a valve adjustment? Can you provide tips for bleeding brakes? Please use this section.
Green §lime
New Poster

Coolant and gaskets

Post by Green §lime »

Hi I have a 96 yzf1000, and i've had my tappet cover gasket leak. So I got a new rubber gasket but i'm wondering if I should use some of that number 3 non hardening locktite on it to make sure I have no more leaks?

Also there were two types of coolant to choose from, the more expensive one had a boiling point of 135 degrees C but is it needed? Because someone told me the fans don't come on until the engine is at 100C but I don't want my radiator boiling. I'm not sure what the boiling point of the cheaper stuff was.

And in the manual I got off the Internet it says use 50/50 of coolant and water but on the bottle it says do not dilute? Hmm...

dragracer1951
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by dragracer1951 »

No sealant on the gasket!!!
The bottle is already diluted 50%
Jim

Hey Kid...
Is my tail light still working?

"...you can't tune a motor that's hurt. They run much faster on fuel then they do on aluminum." - Elmer Trett

creed12r
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

sealant

Post by creed12r »

dragracer1951 wrote:No sealant on the gasket!!!
The bottle is already diluted 50%
The manual shows putting some sealant yamabond? (I use hermatite blue) on the half moon parts of the rubber valve cover gasket.

They are known to leak even with a new seal.

Chris

dragracer1951
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by dragracer1951 »

Ahh...I stand corrected Chris. I was thinking the original poster was intending to put sealant all over the gasket.
My bad.
Jim

Hey Kid...

"...you can't tune a motor that's hurt. They run much faster on fuel then they do on aluminum." - Elmer Trett

Green §lime
New Poster

Post by Green §lime »

dragracer1951 wrote:I was thinking the original poster was intending to put sealant all over the gasket.
My bad.
Yeah that's what I meant. So should I put this loctite no.3 stuff I have on the half moon bits? I'm using a brand new seal.

Btw the coolant in there before was orange, but my new stuff is green. Would the orange stuff be that special high temp coolant maybe?

Hooligan
Site Admin

Post by Hooligan »

orange coolant in the states is "dexcool", green is the original stuff. yellow is also now available.

i think dexcool was originally designed with aluminum engines in mind? jim will chime in here soon...
Jason, aka: Hooligan
1994 YZF750-R
1996 YZF750-R
2003 Bonneville T100

Green §lime
New Poster

Post by Green §lime »

Which one is better?

F5
Veteran Poster

Post by F5 »

Whatever you do take the thermostat out (hidden under carbs but easy to get to once you poke around) & flush the system with a low pressure hose both directions before putting it back in. Amazing how much gets caught up in that low point.
I'm a bomb technician. If you see me running - try to keep up!

djalbin
Smilies Run Amok

Post by djalbin »

Green §lime wrote:Which one is better?
I don't remember the brand but I bought the motorcycle coolant formulated and pre-mixed for motorcycle engines. Bought it at the bike shop. I added Water Wetter to it and it keeps the engine running cooler than just coolant alone.
Don
1994 FZR1000
Tucson, AZ

Green §lime
New Poster

Post by Green §lime »

F5 wrote:Whatever you do take the thermostat out (hidden under carbs but easy to get to once you poke around) & flush the system with a low pressure hose both directions before putting it back in.
I had a look in the manual and there doesn't seem to be a gasket for the thermostat housing.. do the two halves just get put together like that or am I supposed to use gasket glue or something?

dragracer1951
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by dragracer1951 »

There's either a gasket or an O ring. I can't remember. I'm old...

Use what ever coolant you like but make sure it is OK for use with an alum engine or you will toast the water pump seals

Water wetter is a good thing but I would make sure I upped the actual coolant concentration to make sure it was 50% and the water wetter comes out of the water 50% (what ever percentage thatworks out to be)
Jim

Hey Kid...

sickle44
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by sickle44 »

I use a red sticky spray stuff called High Tack, I think by Permatex, on my gaskets and have never had a problem with seal, hope this helps. It's also quite helpful in placing things as it will stick the gasket to a surface so that when you place it, it doesn't move all over hell's half acre. Hope this helps back with your original question.
Last edited by sickle44 on Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael
Yes Yes I know, I said, I'm building a project YZF1070

Basement is done now, 850 finished and gone...
Gotta get the new siding up on the house.
Fixing the FZ1 up, cleaning up garage and then I might even begin

F5
Veteran Poster

Post by F5 »

Could be wrong (was once, but it was disproved) but the thermostat is surrounded by a rubber seal & the housing seals on that. Never seen one leak, but worth checking it is not damaged or anything.

Green §lime
New Poster

Post by Green §lime »

Yeah I think F5 got it, didn't have any leaks and didn't use a gasket or anything. Bad news is.. got my bike back together but throttled too hard around a corner and wrecked one side of the bike :(

silver
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by silver »

Man ! That was quick ! Gravel or water in the turn ? Sorry to hear about the damage. YZF plastic is kinda rare.
Invalid Session. Please resubmit the form.

F5
Veteran Poster

Post by F5 »

Sorry to hear that man. Hope it is fixable.

Nah they don't have an spare water for lying around on the roads in Queensland. Maybe he slipped on Green slime?

Green §lime
New Poster

Post by Green §lime »

F5 wrote:Maybe he slipped on Green slime?
Lol ;)

Nah I gave it heaps of throttle turning right from a stop sign in first and was almost out of the turn when it hit the powerband at about 6k and bam out went the back. I'm not used to these peaky sort of bikes and the powerband keeps surprising me.

But my tyre could have been a little oily because when the tappet gasket was leaking the oil went along the bottom fairing and dripped under the back tyre :/

F5
Veteran Poster

Post by F5 »

Never really thought of mine as peaky, but when I first got it the original tyre was squared off & old & groady. I went around a moderately fast up & over type corner unweighting the bike a bit & the rear tyre lit up McCoy style.

Cool,:cool . . . but aware that it was totally unintentional & could have gone away - so I booked in for new tyres the next day. Made it handle much better too. Vic bike wreckers probably are a good source if nothing up your way.

silver
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by silver »

Green §lime wrote:But my tyre could have been a little oily because when the tappet gasket was leaking the oil went along the bottom fairing and dripped under the back tyre :/
Always clean your tires. I like a little bleach-water mix combined with ample throttle and a lot of front brake :)
Invalid Session. Please resubmit the form.

sickle44
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by sickle44 »

I never pictured you as a squid John, :poke LOL
Michael
Yes Yes I know, I said, I'm building a project YZF1070

Basement is done now, 850 finished and gone...
Gotta get the new siding up on the house.
Fixing the FZ1 up, cleaning up garage and then I might even begin